• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Drag to Disc Problems

Xam

Question

1st let me say I like most Roxio stuff.

Drag to Disc is another story. It's seems to me to be ridiculous to create a CD that requires a drivers to be loaded on the system that receives the CD, furthermore that requires a reboot on XP to read the disc is crazy and sloppy!

I had no problem with XP asking me if I want to write a CD then opening a Window to drop files on and then write the CD. For many simple things this is, for me, the way to go. Now I install Roxio so that I can create a bootable CD and I get Drag to Disc also. Which kills one of the two writeable drives I have on my system.

I get support on how to get rid of Drag to Disc, but that appears to be the end of the line. The fact that I can't write CDs from XP anymore is apparently not Roxio's problem, after all they have the money I spent to buy Roxio Easy Media Creator 8, why should they care if Drag to Disc causes problems? Obviously they don't.

I don't understand why people create things that get in the way of perfectly functional procedures. There are times when I want to use Roxio, and times to use other tools, but apparently Roxio's attitude is use our stuff, all of our stuff and be happy, everybody else's stuff isn't any good. Why not just create CDs that are standard? Why should I have to load drivers from the CD just to make it work. To me this is NOT PROGRESS, but going backwards. Standards were developed so anyone can take a CD written on a standard system and use it in another system WITHOUT LOADING extra drivers.

This has really irritated me. Does anyone know how to get my system back? How to get XP to wake up on a blank CD and present a window that I can load with files to generate a CD? I would really appreciate seeing a solution. Thanks. Max

9 answers to this question

LOL..I figured since Lynn stays away from the V8 boards I'd chime in for her and advise them to dump D2D.With the habit it also has of taking over drives I find it's just for the better not to have it on a machine at all.Thanks for the reinforcement Bruce.

LOL..I figured since Lynn stays away from the V8 boards I'd chime in for her and advise them to dump D2D.With the habit it also has of taking over drives I find it's just for the better not to have it on a machine at all.Thanks for the reinforcement Bruce.

LOL! I felt a little like Lynn, myself. :) But, she is spot on with her assessment of packet writing software.

The first thing to do is get rid of D2D.If you installed from discs go to Add/Remove,do a change and uninstall it.If you installed from the download go to Start,Run and type msconfig.Once there go to the startup tab and uncheck DragtoDisc and reboot.This may also give you back the window popping up,maybe not.That's an autorun function and may need to be reenabled.

Basically any packet writing is a bad way to go.They are just not very reliable for saving data.You're better off using Creator Classic or XP's built in burning as both are session based and much more reliable.

Thanks to all for the quick response. Any idea how to "That's an autorun function and may need to be reenabled." Thanks again. Max

I can see why I could not use the username "Frustrated"... It was already taken!

This so-called "Easy" Media Creator 8 is a mess!!! If there are drivers that have to be added, certain basic anti-virus programs (NORTONs) that have to be turned off, and other built in anomolies... then the programmers failed miserably!!!

I just bought this app with the hope it would be able to burn photo images to a CD... real "Easy" hey?

After 6 hours of frustration, ruining 6 CD-Rs, and not being able to recognize a burned CD or for that matter ANY CD on the read/writable Sony DVD-CD device... I can "Easily" conclude that this so called "Easy" Media Creator 8 belongs in the circular file!!!!

After two attempts of removing this crappy app and rebooting twice... I was fortunate enough to get the Sony DVD-CD device to recognize ANY CD!!!!

From what I have witnessed in these forums, there are many other unfortunate stories.

A word of CAUTION: Never purchase an application that is up to level 8 and now level 9 (New and Improved for more money).

I would recommend this application.... to my enemies!!!

Max,open My Computer,right click on the drive,go to properties,go to the Autoplay tab,select Blank disc in the dropdown box,then choose the action you want.Also put a check in the "prompt me" box or "Always take this action" if you always want the same thing to happen.

I can see why I could not use the username "Frustrated"... It was already taken!

This so-called "Easy" Media Creator 8 is a mess!!! If there are drivers that have to be added, certain basic anti-virus programs (NORTONs) that have to be turned off, and other built in anomolies... then the programmers failed miserably!!!

I just bought this app with the hope it would be able to burn photo images to a CD... real "Easy" hey?

After 6 hours of frustration, ruining 6 CD-Rs, and not being able to recognize a burned CD or for that matter ANY CD on the read/writable Sony DVD-CD device... I can "Easily" conclude that this so called "Easy" Media Creator 8 belongs in the circular file!!!!

After two attempts of removing this crappy app and rebooting twice... I was fortunate enough to get the Sony DVD-CD device to recognize ANY CD!!!!

From what I have witnessed in these forums, there are many other unfortunate stories.

A word of CAUTION: Never purchase an application that is up to level 8 and now level 9 (New and Improved for more money).

I would recommend this application.... to my enemies!!!

There are many ways to burn image (photo) files to a CD within the various "Easy Media" versions of Roxio products. Most of them are simple and easy to use. The one you seem to have chosen, Drag to Disc, to try is the worst way to attempt to do it, as it uses packet writing. A technology that is proprietary to whatever brand of it you are using. All the various brands have the same kinds of issues with it that you experienced, whether it's Drag to Disc, InCD, DLA, etc. If all you wanted to do was simply 'copy' photo files to a cd, you could have done so using XP's (guessing that's your OS) built in file burning capabilities.

If you're interested in getting some ideas or help from your fellow users here, post a new topic and we'll try to help you out.

Well, thanks to all that have responded. I did get one of the two RW drives to return to what I want and really who needs two writeable drive?? > So I should be happy. Anyways, thanks again to all that have helped.

--max

The first thing to do is get rid of D2D.If you installed from discs go to Add/Remove,do a change and uninstall it.If you installed from the download go to Start,Run and type msconfig.Once there go to the startup tab and uncheck DragtoDisc and reboot.This may also give you back the window popping up,maybe not.That's an autorun function and may need to be reenabled.

Basically any packet writing is a bad way to go.They are just not very reliable for saving data.You're better off using Creator Classic or XP's built in burning as both are session based and much more reliable.

Archived