Toast 11 Cannot Burn Anything On Two Macs

vorofikin

Question

Hi,

I have Toast 11.0.3 installed on two Macs, a MacPro and a MacBook Pro, both running OSX 10.6.8. The macPro has a Pioneer Bluray burner, and I have successfully burned BluRay movies on it in the past with Toast 10. Now I am no longer able to burn any discs on either computer using toast 11 or Toast 10. I get the error message "The connection is not stable. The disc failed to be written". This applies to both music CDs and video DVDs. Both burners are actually working fine as I am able to burn both music CDs and video DVDs on them (using iTunes and iDVD, for example). It is especially frustrating that after an unsuccessful burn attempt the discs are ruined, and this is particularly bad in the case of the expensive BluRay discs.

Needless to say, attempts to get help from Roxio has been an exercise in futility. I keep getting useless automatic answers of the sort "try a different brand of discs".

Are there any other software products out there that would allow me to burn HD videos on Bluray discs?

Thanks

11 answers to this question

Hi,

I have Toast 11.0.3 installed on two Macs, a MacPro and a MacBook Pro, both running OSX 10.6.8. The macPro has a Pioneer Bluray burner, and I have successfully burned BluRay movies on it in the past with Toast 10. Now I am no longer able to burn any discs on either computer using toast 11 or Toast 10. I get the error message "The connection is not stable. The disc failed to be written". This applies to both music CDs and video DVDs. Both burners are actually working fine as I am able to burn both music CDs and video DVDs on them (using iTunes and iDVD, for example). It is especially frustrating that after an unsuccessful burn attempt the discs are ruined, and this is particularly bad in the case of the expensive BluRay discs.

Needless to say, attempts to get help from Roxio has been an exercise in futility. I keep getting useless automatic answers of the sort "try a different brand of discs".

Are there any other software products out there that would allow me to burn HD videos on Bluray discs?

Thanks

Here's an update on the situation:

First, I need to add that on my PacPro I was also getting the kernel panic occasionally when I was trying to burn HD movies with Toast 11 (and the HD plug-in), in addition to the other Toast error messages that I mentioned in my initial posting.

I have now deleted the following file from the preferences in the library: "com.roxio.Toast.plist". Then I restarted the computer, open Toast 11 again. Then I tried to burn a music CD on the MacBook pro and it worked fine.

I did the same on the MacPro and I was able to burn several Bluray discs without any issues! Just in case, I had the burn speed on the Bluray burner set to the slowest setting, and verification was turned off. The buffer under-run protection option was grayed out anyway, so I did not have any choice there.

I have obviously not the slightest idea why this worked, but needless to say I am happy that it is working for the time being.

By the way, support from Roxio was horrible. Communicating with them was very hard, and they just kept going around in circles and advising me to do things like trying a different brand of discs. They do have a tech support phone line, very well hidden and hardly accessible, but here it is

1-877-793-7471.

Toast 11 (Titanium) 11.1 (1067) is no longer able to burn any CDs on my system (MacBook Pro 17", MacBookPro6,1, Intel Core i7, 2.66 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Disk burning: HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS23N, Firmware Revision: SB07, ATAPI, Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive), Mac OS X 10.6.8). At the end of the burning Toast's progress reporting window states Finishing... and 100% completed and then hangs forever (see attached file). Force quitting Toast results in a ruined CD.

Simply put, this software has become totally unusable and as the only remedy I see again only a downgrading to an older version.

post-106777-0-00708700-1349173434_thumb.png

I have made further tests using on purpose other hardware, including of course another burning device (Apple SuperDrive on a Mac Mini) but the same system software (OS X 10.6.8 all updated to the latest versions and otherwise as well maintained as the first system). Again Toast 11.1 (1067) hangs at the end of every burning of a Data CD (Mac & PC) forever. I conclude: This experiment clearly demonstrates that the fault is with Toast and the software engineers of Roxio need to fix this.

Here's an update on the situation:

First, I need to add that on my PacPro I was also getting the kernel panic occasionally when I was trying to burn HD movies with Toast 11 (and the HD plug-in), in addition to the other Toast error messages that I mentioned in my initial posting.

I have now deleted the following file from the preferences in the library: "com.roxio.Toast.plist". Then I restarted the computer, open Toast 11 again. Then I tried to burn a music CD on the MacBook pro and it worked fine.

I did the same on the MacPro and I was able to burn several Bluray discs without any issues! Just in case, I had the burn speed on the Bluray burner set to the slowest setting, and verification was turned off. The buffer under-run protection option was grayed out anyway, so I did not have any choice there.

I have obviously not the slightest idea why this worked, but needless to say I am happy that it is working for the time being.

By the way, support from Roxio was horrible. Communicating with them was very hard, and they just kept going around in circles and advising me to do things like trying a different brand of discs. They do have a tech support phone line, very well hidden and hardly accessible, but here it is

1-877-793-7471.

Glad to know Toast is working again. Thanks for posting your issue and its resolution.

I have a month-old 15" MacBook Pro and bought the Toast 11 Pro package. I am having the exact same problem. Kernel panics when I try to use the copy music CD function in Toast. I've tried pulling files off the CD to a disk image and then using Toast to burn the disk image to CD-R (and I've tried three different brands of blank CD-R).

I've got a tech support ticket open on this issue and tonight sent them a screen capture of the error Toast is reporting as well as the kernel panic log. In addition to the burn function not working, the eject CD button doesn't work on the MacBook Pro keyboard after an error; neither does the eject button in Toast. And after the kernel panic problem, it takes me multiple tries to get the blank CD-R to eject.

I don't know what this compatibility issue is, but it's to the point I may try to downgrade to Toast 10 on my MBP just to get the normal, easy Toast functions to work.

I have a month-old 15" MacBook Pro and bought the Toast 11 Pro package. I am having the exact same problem. Kernel panics when I try to use the copy music CD function in Toast. I've tried pulling files off the CD to a disk image and then using Toast to burn the disk image to CD-R (and I've tried three different brands of blank CD-R).

I've got a tech support ticket open on this issue and tonight sent them a screen capture of the error Toast is reporting as well as the kernel panic log. In addition to the burn function not working, the eject CD button doesn't work on the MacBook Pro keyboard after an error; neither does the eject button in Toast. And after the kernel panic problem, it takes me multiple tries to get the blank CD-R to eject.

I don't know what this compatibility issue is, but it's to the point I may try to downgrade to Toast 10 on my MBP just to get the normal, easy Toast functions to work.

I just did a test by copying an audio CD in the Copy window on my 3-year-old MacBook Pro and Toast made the copy. There was a verification error at the start of verification I checked the disc and there all is correct so verification is not an issue. My MBP has a different type of optical drive than does yours which may be a reason for the difference in our experience with copying. Maybe I need to buy a new Mac?

Your experience with inability to eject a disc after a kernel panic is normal. The best way I've ejected discs in such a case is to restart the Mac (possibly after having to force a shut down by holding down the power key) and then pressing the keyboard eject button during the startup.

A kernal panic in this situation is surprising. I'm wondering if something else is wrong with your new Mac. I experienced kernal panics using Toast to copy discs several years ago when I bought a new iBook. It turns out the iBook had defective RAM. I recommend going to kelleycomputing.net and downloading Rember and running the full memory test. When I had this problem Rember found the problem that other memory test apps missed. The kernal panics only happened when using Toast but defective RAM was the reason.

I did upgrade the RAM on my MacBook Pro with RAM from Macsales.com (Other World Computing). Have years of purchases from them with few problems, mostly with DOA hard drives. Will try your memory test. I have already run the Apple Hardware Test, which didn't turn up anything abnormal.

I heard from Roxio Tech Support today. They are blaming Apple hardware/software because of the errors I've received. I did try tweaking Toast settings as they advised, to no avail. I got a Toast "Interface error: -32030 The connection is not stable" error after trying to burn. I also got a Mac OSX error saying the "free space on the disc could not be determined." Vewwwwy stwange!

I am going to take some time to try other applications that burn to optical media. If they have problems, I will definitely be visiting the Apple Store in Baton Rouge to have them remedy this problem.

Whether Toast or Apple's fault, this is unacceptable. My 9-year-old PPC dual-1Ghz Mirror Door Drive Mac handled disc copying better than this. And that was with Toast 9!

I'm presuming you purchased the Blu-ray plugin for Toast 11 or bought the Pro version and installed it. Try trashing the Toast plist and prefs files in your User>Library>Preferences folder and relaunching Toast. Starting up the Macs after a complete shut down also might help. It's very strange that you're experiencing this on both Macs. You might see if turning off or on the buffer underrun protection in the Recorder settings window can make any difference.

The connection is not stable error message oftentimes appeared when users tried burning to Memorex dual-layer discs in the past. So it doesn't necessarily mean what it says. It does indicate a communication failure between Toast and the drive. The reason for this is something I don't know.

I did upgrade the RAM on my MacBook Pro with RAM from Macsales.com (Other World Computing). Have years of purchases from them with few problems, mostly with DOA hard drives. Will try your memory test. I have already run the Apple Hardware Test, which didn't turn up anything abnormal.

I heard from Roxio Tech Support today. They are blaming Apple hardware/software because of the errors I've received. I did try tweaking Toast settings as they advised, to no avail. I got a Toast "Interface error: -32030 The connection is not stable" error after trying to burn. I also got a Mac OSX error saying the "free space on the disc could not be determined." Vewwwwy stwange!

I am going to take some time to try other applications that burn to optical media. If they have problems, I will definitely be visiting the Apple Store in Baton Rouge to have them remedy this problem.

Whether Toast or Apple's fault, this is unacceptable. My 9-year-old PPC dual-1Ghz Mirror Door Drive Mac handled disc copying better than this. And that was with Toast 9!

The defective RAM I bought was also from Other World Computing. Great people there and they quickly replaced it. It probably isn't the reason for your issue but I'm glad you're checking it out.

Archived