• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Manual Reinstall, Or Where Do These Parts Go?

Reginald

Question

I had to re-install Windows Vista, on a (Dell) laptop that had Roxio Creator 9 pre-installed. There is no "installation disk", alas... <_<

All my old files were swept into a file labeled "Windows.old". Most of the files are still in folders, so I can tell which folders are Roxio parts, but I have no idea how where they were to be placed in the OS tree, or which file to start to get "Roxio Creator 9" running. :wacko: Is there a diagram or listing that'll tell me that {these} go in {Programs}, but {those} go in {Data}, etc? Or can I get a re-install disk to do an automatic re-installation? :unsure: I've been a registered owner, but never had a digital video camera until recently. Now that I have one, and could finally use the editing software, it's mangled. :rolleyes: Arrgh! Please help. Thanks.

10 answers to this question

If you have a Windows.old folder, on your computer, you made a mistake by not formatting your hard drive, before reinstalling Windows Vista. Not having Roxio may end up being the least of your problems.

Well, it's been running OK for a while now. (Knock wood...) I had an OS problem, and I wanted to preserve the rest of my HD. I couldn't even get it to back up! Part of the problem is that I haven't figured out how to do a selective restore, and I'm not certain there's even a backup that includes the old Roxio setup. (Pre-existing problems...)

Reginald,

In case it helps in the future [too late for this time] there is a way you can do a non-destructive reinstall of Windows. It just straightens up your version of Windows, without disturbing your installed software and settings, according to THIS ARTICLE from WindoesSecrets.com

That might have worked, except that Vista was totally non-functional. I even tried one of the hp "SimpleSave" automatic backup drives, but that didn't work. Still doesn't, BTW; it gets almost done, then crashes reporting some sort of I/O error, even using Windows Backup rather than the hp software. Not having a backup contributed to the problem, of course. :rolleyes:

And Dell just says that the warrentee period is over, and I should contact the 3rd party software mfgr for help. Ping-ponging the buck, does not help me. :angry2:

So, I've got the ~/Windows.old/Program Files/Roxio/ folder. If I moved it to the current Program Files folder, and likewise with the ~/Data Files/Roxio folder, what else would I have to do to reconstruct an installation? Registry stuff, I suppose?

Reginald,

In case it helps in the future [too late for this time] there is a way you can do a non-destructive reinstall of Windows. It just straightens up your version of Windows, without disturbing your installed software and settings, according to THIS ARTICLE from WindoesSecrets.com

The article talks about using this method with Windows 7, but the author says the method has been available since XP only Microsoft never talk about it.

Regards,

Brendon

Reginald,

The article talks about using this method with Windows 7, but the author says the method has been available since XP only Microsoft never talk about it.

Regards,

Brendon

How well does it work, for the 2 OS's, Brendon? I am curious, because it may be a good alternative to the Format C:

I didn't see Vista mentioned, but it is "assumed", based on some wording in the article.

It should (in theory) work for Vista as well Bruce - remember Windows 7 is actually 6.1 and Vista is 6.0 (and guess what - the upcoming 'Windows 8' is actually 6.2)

Actually, just having checked the article, it does say it works for Vista as well

Looking at it reminds me that there was a similar option back with 9x. At one stage I had to upgrade a batch of computers from Windows 95A (FAT format) to 95B (FAT32). What I found out at the time was simply renaming Windows.com to Windows.old and doing a re-install kept everything 'as-is', then use the Windows app to resize clusters. All applications stayed intact with no problem

I had to re-install Windows Vista, on a (Dell) laptop that had Roxio Creator 9 pre-installed. There is no "installation disk", alas... dry.gif

All my old files were swept into a file labeled "Windows.old". Most of the files are still in folders, so I can tell which folders are Roxio parts, but I have no idea how where they were to be placed in the OS tree, or which file to start to get "Roxio Creator 9" running. :wacko: Is there a diagram or listing that'll tell me that {these} go in {Programs}, but {those} go in {Data}, etc? Or can I get a re-install disk to do an automatic re-installation? :unsure: I've been a registered owner, but never had a digital video camera until recently. Now that I have one, and could finally use the editing software, it's mangled. :rolleyes: Arrgh! Please help. Thanks.

Contact Dell. What you have is an OEM specified by Dell and supported by them.

I had to re-install Windows Vista, on a (Dell) laptop that had Roxio Creator 9 pre-installed. There is no "installation disk", alas... <_<

If you have a Windows.old folder, on your computer, you made a mistake by not formatting your hard drive, before reinstalling Windows Vista. Not having Roxio may end up being the least of your problems.

Archived