• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Audio Extraction Fron Video Dvds

mjay

Question

Does anyone please know how to use Toast 10 to extract audio from a video DVD?

I have some language instruction DVDs which play as normal i.e. picture & sound. I want to extract the audio so that I can make a normal audio CD to play in my car.

I have tried all the settings on the Mac OSX sound controls in System Preferences and all the settings on Toast. The only way I can do it is to play the DVD on my monitor and speakers and then use Spin Doctor to record through a microphone – not exactly the best quality.

How do I use Spin Doctor to record directly and internally without going through speakers and microphone? Any ideas? I'll be very grateful.

Thank you.

MJ

7 answers to this question

Thanks so much for that extremely helpful reply!

Your summary of what I'm attempting to do was very accurate, and the potential workflows you described were thoroughly detailed.

I will test out everything you've suggested as soon as I'm back at the Mac which I use for my audio/visual work. This won't be for a couple of days, but I'll report back as soon as I can.

Just two points I'm hoping you can clarify in the meantime...

1) Do I assume correctly from what you've written, that even in a situation where the chapters and their names in a DVD corresponded exactly to the tracks and the track names I want for the audio CD, there really isn't ever going to be a way for the DVD's chapter names to automatically become the default names for each corresponding audio track (perhaps just with different file extensions along the way)? In other words, assigning the final track names in iTunes will always be a manual process?

You will need to do manual addition of the info in iTunes. Toast 11 simplifies this process but you'll still need to manually enter the track name in Toast and the other info in iTunes.

2) Other than some different tab organization in the Toast Media Browser, is there any significant difference in functionality between Toast 10 (which I'm currently using) and Toast 11 (which I've ordered and am awaiting the delivery of) that would relate to this process of generating audio CDs from the soundtracks of DVDs? Is there any reason I should be holding off a few days until I can establish a workflow using Toast 11, or in theory will anything I'm able to figure out using Toast 10 for this process apply equally when I make the switch to version 11?

Toast 11 makes it much easier because you can simply drag the video titles or chapters from the Media Browser to the Audio Files setting in the Copy window to extract the audio. Toast then opens a window where you can fine tune the start and end points for each item you drag to Toast. If you drag an entire DVD title to Toast you can mark several segments from that Title to add to the Toast window. Since you're in the Audio Files section you can send directly to iTunes when you click the Convert button. The Toast 11 version of Spin Doctor is something to avoid. So much of it isn't working I'm not certain I recall what parts do work. But you won't need it anyway. Keep your Toast 10 installed just in case there is something that works better with it than with Toast 11. Also be sure to download the latest Toast 11 update from Roxio's site and use it to install Toast 11 instead of the boxed version. You'll need the registration key from the box. If you bought the Pro version you'll need to install those extra apps and the Blu-ray plugin from the boxed version.

Very helpful advice once again -- and much appreciated.

I also just received this interesting tidbit from Roxio support...

I would say that Toast 10 is not compatible with Mac Lion OS. Please understand that currently we do not have any update for compatibility of Toast 10 with Lion OSX.

An update for compatibility of Toast 10 with Lion OSX will be released soon. When the update was released, it will be notified in the software updates section of our website. So that you can install the update and use toast 10 in Lion OSX.

I would appreciate it if you would bear with us a bit longer. Thank you for your patience in advance.

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

The Roxio Support Team

So it sounds like there's more than one reason for me to get Toast 11 installed before trying to finalize this workflow, which I'll attempt to do ASAP, and then report back.

Thanks again,

John B.

Toronto

Very helpful advice once again -- and much appreciated.

I also just received this interesting tidbit from Roxio support...

So it sounds like there's more than one reason for me to get Toast 11 installed before trying to finalize this workflow, which I'll attempt to do ASAP, and then report back.

Thanks again,

John B.

Toronto

Interesting. The release notes posted by Roxio with the Toast 10.0.9 update state "Various OS compatibility fixes have been implemented." I don't know what still remains to be fixed for Lion compatibility but the implication is that some of it is done. This version is dated Nov. 7, 2011.

Choose Audio Files in the Convert window. Select the DVD title(s) from which you want the audio using the Video tab of the Toast Media Browser. Drag the title(s) to the main Toast window. Only the audio will be extracted. You now can save the audio in a variety of formats. Also, in the Media Browser you can select individual chapters rather than entire titles. That may be helpful to break the audio into segments.

What you're describing above is very much along the lines of what I've been TRYING to do, but so far without success. I've tried various combinations of Toast 10, CD Spin Doctor 6, and the current iTunes, and am getting very frustrated(!). Am really hoping you can offer a trouble-shooting suggestion or two...

THE GOAL:

To create audio CDs from DVDs I've authored (usually from video recordings I've done of live events, small concerts, theatrical presentations, etc.).

SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS:

I'd like to be able to use the already-created Chapter Titles (and the sections of the recording to which they point) to streamline the process of creating and naming audio tracks, some of which will correspond exactly to the DVD's chapter scenes, and some of which will need to be adjusted -- i.e. two or three video chapters becoming one audio track; a single video chapter being divided into two or three audio tracks; exact In/Out points for the individual audio tracks tweaked; etc.). Sometimes the finished CD will need to include the entire audio from the DVD, and other times only selected sections (for example, only the actual songs from a musical production, leaving out the spoken scenes in between each number).

But in all cases I want the Names I've assigned to each individual audio track to display on BOTH a standard CD-player, AND (most importantly) when the disc's contents are viewed on a computer (or opened in iTunes). This is so a person can take the finished disc and copy the contents into their iTunes Library, and still see the Track Names, Artist Info, and any other data I entered before burning the disc. (And I read one of your posts re the differences between the text a CD-player can read and the file information a computer or program like iTunes can display -- so I'm happy to do the final burning in iTunes rather than Toast, but I'll now describe how I haven't been able to get that far...)

[or you skip sections 1, 2, and 3 and just jump to the summary at the end]

WHAT I'VE TRIED:

1) from iMovie to an exported QT file (in both .mov and .m4v formats, each containing Chapter Titles which all display correctly when that option is selected in QT Player), and from there I attempted to bring one of those into Spin Doctor. But it appears SpinDoctor can ONLY open files which are already in an audio-only format. So I exported from iMovie ("Using QuickTime...") an .aif file of just the sound, which of course then didn't include any of the Chapter Markers, their titles, etc.

I used the tools inside SpinDoctor to define specific tracks, name them, get their In/Out points exactly right, and then used the "Send All Tracks to Toast Audio CD" option. In Toast I added more information (some artist info, a title for the overall disc, etc.), did a burn, and just as you described in your other post on this topic, when I insert that disc into my Mac or open same in iTunes, all I see are very generic "Track 01" "Track 02" kinds of names.

2) Tried using SpinDoctor's "Send Active Tracks to iTunes..." option, figuring I could try burning a disc from there. I was please to see all my Track Info now displaying in iTunes, but then discovered that when I tried to preview individual tracks in iTunes, all that played was the very first chunk of the "un-Tracked" master audio file. In other words, if I'd designated Track #9 as "CoolSong", in iTunes it would display in the list with its correct title ("CoolSong") in the correct position, and with the correct Time (let's say 2:15). But if I select and try to play it, what I hear is the first 2:15 from the very beginning of the show. Same for all the other tracks: correct title, running time, etc. -- but all that actually plays is the very first 3:47, or 5:18, or 1:53 or whatever from the very beginning of the master audio file (the one I imported into SpinDoctor where I defined and named all the individual Tracks.

3) Frustrated by SpinDoctor, I tried following the steps you described above:

I inserted a DVD (one with fully functioning Chapter Markers and defined scenes). I chose Audio Files in the Convert window. My disc could be seen in the Media Browser, but only when I selected "DVD" in the Media Browser's top pull-down list -- is this what you meant by "the Video tab"?

In the Media Browser's lower pull-down list, I selected my DVD, but the only chapter which then displayed a thumbnail in the Browser's main window was a generically-named "Title 1". When I selected "Title 1" in the pull-down list just above that window, suddenly a thumbnail appeared for all the individual chapters, each with their correct timing, but each now just with the generic name of "Chapter 01", "Chapter 02", "Chapter 03", etc.

Ay Caramba.

But I figured at least I could try doing what you suggested, and drag the individual thumbs into the main Toast "Convert" window, where I expected to be offered a list of file format options once the audio from each chapter had been automatically extracted. Instead, all that happens is some sort of progress window flashes onscreen then immediately disappears, after which it looks like NOTHING has been extracted or converted or added anywhere.

SUMMARY:

So I apologize for the length of this post, but I wanted to include the correct details of at least SOME of the workflows I've tried. I naively thought this would be a relatively simple process, and boy was I wrong. I also lack the budget right now to be buying yet more software, so would be HUGELY grateful for any suggestions on how to make this whole process work using the tools at hand.

And once again, that process is wanting to take a personally-burned, Chapter-formatted DVD (or just the .img file from which that disc was burned, or even a QT movie exported from the program in which the Chapter information was assigned), and end up with a CD whose audio tracks I was able to define and customize (based on a default Chapter->Track extraction&naming) before burning -- and whose track info displays as I entered it when the disc is played on a computer, and when its contents are imported into an iTunes Library.

Thank you for reading.

John B.

Toronto

SUMMARY:

So I apologize for the length of this post, but I wanted to include the correct details of at least SOME of the workflows I've tried. I naively thought this would be a relatively simple process, and boy was I wrong. I also lack the budget right now to be buying yet more software, so would be HUGELY grateful for any suggestions on how to make this whole process work using the tools at hand.

And once again, that process is wanting to take a personally-burned, Chapter-formatted DVD (or just the .img file from which that disc was burned, or even a QT movie exported from the program in which the Chapter information was assigned), and end up with a CD whose audio tracks I was able to define and customize (based on a default Chapter->Track extraction&naming) before burning -- and whose track info displays as I entered it when the disc is played on a computer, and when its contents are imported into an iTunes Library.

Thank you for reading.

John B.

Toronto

My understanding is you are wanting to make audio CDs (that play in regular CD players) from the audio now on DVDs. Sometimes the tracks match the chapter markers on the DVD but sometimes they do not. You want computers (and CD Text capable CD players) to display the artist/album/track info.

The first step in this process is to extract the audio from the DVD as a 44.1 khz AIFF file. I just checked and my previous post works for Toast 11 but not Toast 10. To extract audio only from a video DVD using Toast select "Video files" in the Toast Convert window. Choose DVD with the Toast Media Browser and then select any titles (or chapters within titles) that you want and add them to the main Toast window. Click the red button and choose Quicktime movie as the Device. Click the Change... button next to Quality. In the window that appears uncheck the box next to Video. Click the Settings... button next to Sound. Choose Linear PCM as the format and 44.100 khz as the Rate. Click OK and click OK again to get to the window with the Convert button. Choose your destination and click Convert.

Now you have the audio-only files. I think it is best to change the .mov extensions in the Finder to .aiff. The file should have the same name as it had in the Toast window before you clicked the red button.

If the file is correct for its start and end point you're done with it and it can be added to iTunes. If not you have a variety of options to segment the file to the size you want. One is to use QuickTime Player's Trim function. Open the file in QuickTime Player and choose Trim in the Edit menu. A waveform appears. It helps to expand the window to full width. Drag the left and right yellow bars to where you want the track to start of end and click the Trim button. Now choose Save as... to write the new track. Unfortunately it gets the .mov extension again.

Another option is to use CD Spin Doctor to mark the tracks. If for some reason you can't send those to iTunes you can select and drag the tracks from the track list to the Finder and import them to iTunes from there.

Once in iTunes you'll need to fill in the missing track/artist/album info, drag the tracks to a playlist and burn your audio CD. When that is done eject the audio CD and re-insert it in the Mac. With that CD selected choose Submit CD Track Names from the iTunes Advanced menu to upload that info to CDDB. Now when someone inserts that disc (or a copy of it) in a Mac or PC the artist/album/track info will get downloaded for display on their computer.

Thanks so much for that extremely helpful reply!

Your summary of what I'm attempting to do was very accurate, and the potential workflows you described were thoroughly detailed.

I will test out everything you've suggested as soon as I'm back at the Mac which I use for my audio/visual work. This won't be for a couple of days, but I'll report back as soon as I can.

Just two points I'm hoping you can clarify in the meantime...

1) Do I assume correctly from what you've written, that even in a situation where the chapters and their names in a DVD corresponded exactly to the tracks and the track names I want for the audio CD, there really isn't ever going to be a way for the DVD's chapter names to automatically become the default names for each corresponding audio track (perhaps just with different file extensions along the way)? In other words, assigning the final track names in iTunes will always be a manual process?

2) Other than some different tab organization in the Toast Media Browser, is there any significant difference in functionality between Toast 10 (which I'm currently using) and Toast 11 (which I've ordered and am awaiting the delivery of) that would relate to this process of generating audio CDs from the soundtracks of DVDs? Is there any reason I should be holding off a few days until I can establish a workflow using Toast 11, or in theory will anything I'm able to figure out using Toast 10 for this process apply equally when I make the switch to version 11?

Thanks again for your help,

John B.

Toronto

Choose Audio Files in the Convert window. Select the DVD title(s) from which you want the audio using the Video tab of the Toast Media Browser. Drag the title(s) to the main Toast window. Only the audio will be extracted. You now can save the audio in a variety of formats. Also, in the Media Browser you can select individual chapters rather than entire titles. That may be helpful to break the audio into segments.

Archived