• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Questions About ISO Files

glennwebster

Question

1. Can an ISO file be viewed before burning to DVD? I have searched for a viewer but could not find one.

Just completed a project and created the ISO. Everything was OK including the project preview but the result after burning the ISO was the audio was out of sync. Would be nice if that had showed up before burning the disk.

2. Is the ISO file a stand alone?. Can I copy it to another disk and use it as an archive.?

As always, your help is much appreciated.

Glenn :)

21 answers to this question

There's no 'better' way. It's really a matter of choice and personal preference.

Keeping an .iso file on a Data DVD allows you to copy the .iso file back to your hard drive quickly using Windows Explorer. Then you can quickly make copies of the original DVD.

Bob, Burning an .iso file to a DATA DVD will give you another copy of what is on your external hard drive. You could then give a stack of the data dvds to a relative or friend for another safe method of storage just in case something happens to your safe deposit box or hardware in your external drive.

You could also burn the DVD itself to your external drive or give a copy of the DVD to the relative/friend for storage (a second copy for storage only).

You have a lot of different options including burning only the movie itself to a DVD or hard drive.

It really depends on how irreplaceable the video is to you and whether you want the .iso, dvd, or only the video.

As to previewing your DVD...... you have the option using Disk Copier to burn the DVD to your hard drive using the .iso file. Then you can play it from there using Roxio Player or many computers come with a DVD playing program. That's an option if you don't have 7.5 or don't want to mount a virtual drive on your computer with Disk Image Loader.

Thanks again--i now understand--bob

Good post attachment Bruce. I had never used that preview option before. Just learned another good thing from one of the wiser gurus :) Thanks

Frank....

You are welcome, Frank. I use it all of the time before I burn my ISO to a movie DVD. I don't use Disc Image Loader. Never had the need to use it.

As to previewing your DVD...... you have the option using Disk Copier to burn the DVD to your hard drive using the .iso file. Then you can play it from there using Roxio Player or many computers come with a DVD playing program.

Since ggrussell has said many times in post's he saves to video ts folder for viewing, Roxio Player probably don't play a image either.

I don't install it, so really don't know!

As for DVD player software the versions of CyberLink Power DVD and WIN DVD I have owned, they will not play a iso image. Video ts folder they will.

cdanteek

I'm not Bruce but I'll try to answer . . . A data file saves the ISO as a backup but it wouldn't function in a set top player. I sometimes back up ISOs that way but mostly I just have backups on multiple external drives which also store them as data BTW. :)

Thanks. I have been gone since Friday, so did not see the post until now.

1. Can an ISO file be viewed before burning to DVD? I have searched for a viewer but could not find one.

Just completed a project and created the ISO. Everything was OK including the project preview but the result after burning the ISO was the audio was out of sync. Would be nice if that had showed up before burning the disk.

2. Is the ISO file a stand alone?. Can I copy it to another disk and use it as an archive.?

As always, your help is much appreciated.

Glenn :)

Open your ISO in Disc Copier. (See attached picture.) You can preview your ISO, easily.

You can archive the ISO as a data file, using Creator Classic. I archive all of the ones that I want to keep.

post-81-1154611062.jpg

You can also preview ISOs using the Disk Image Loader. You can find it under Tools > Extras and Utilities. That's what I do.

There are many posts on this forum about audio being out of sync. The solution that works for me is to split the video into smaller sections. I find 6 minutes works well. It's a hassle but solves the problem. :)

You can also preview ISOs using the Disk Image Loader. You can find it under Tools > Extras and Utilities. That's what I do.

There are many posts on this forum about audio being out of sync. The solution that works for me is to split the video into smaller sections. I find 6 minutes works well. It's a hassle but solves the problem. :)

I don't know which version the OP has, 7 or 7.5 and I no longer have 7 installed but I'm not 100% sure if v7 has Disc Image Loader included. It is in v7.5. Can't find my info to see whether 7 does or not. Still, it's a good suggestion if he has it and one that I and many overlook.

I don't know which version the OP has, 7 or 7.5 and I no longer have 7 installed but I'm not 100% sure if v7 has Disc Image Loader included. It is in v7.5. Can't find my info to see whether 7 does or not. Still, it's a good suggestion if he has it and one that I and many overlook.

I'm almost positive it wasn't included intil 7.5

I have 7 loaded on one partition and it's not showing up there.

So if the OP only has 7, I don't think that's an option.

Being a 95% user of 7.5, I have always just used the preview screen and option in DVDbuilder before I burn a production to DVD. I guess I just never have ventured over to 8 to see what other options there were for previewing before burning, either to disc or as an ISO file.

Frank....

Thanks to one and all. I wish I know how to send this to all who replied but haven't learned how yet.

:) wahoo.

glenn

Open your ISO in Disc Copier. (See attached picture.) You can preview your ISO, easily.

You can archive the ISO as a data file, using Creator Classic. I archive all of the ones that I want to keep.

Thank you.

I have it on a DVD and can't figure out how to get it back to my hard drive. Whatever I do it wants to burn (not copy) and then tells me the cd isn't fast enough to burn from. :)

Some how I ended up with a file called DVDBUILDER on the DVD I had in my burner. It looks like it might contain the builder project in total (3.9 GB) but I can't get it to open.

Are there instructions on the forum describing how to attach a picture?

I'd like you to see a screen shot of how the file name appears.

glenn

Some how I ended up with a file called DVDBUILDER on the DVD I had in my burner. It looks like it might contain the builder project in total (3.9 GB) but I can't get it to open.
DVDBUILDER is the generic name that the program gives when a functional DVD (as opposed to a data DVD) is burned regardless of what the ISO is named. This behavior has annoyed many of us.

To view or copy the files, right click on the drive icon and then "explore". That should show you the files on the disk. You can also get the video back on your hard drive by capturing it.

To attach an image, you'll have to post it somewhere on online and then link to it. Click on the tree image in the editor's buttons and follow directions.

Guest mlpasley

Let me explain a little further......

Using Disk Copier, you have the option to burn from an .iso file to a DVD-Video folder on the hard drive. Then DVD playing software will play the DVD which is now on the hard drive. (Or the movie can be Captured from the hard drive for editing if the original production files are not on the computer.)

Since this person cannot burn from the DVD to the hard drive, using Windows Explorer to copy the .iso file to the hard drive will put the .iso file on the hard drive. Then using Disk Copier, the DVD itself can be burned to the hard drive.

Does that make sense? ( I know it's not efficient, but it works.)

Guest mlpasley
I have it on a DVD and can't figure out how to get it back to my hard drive. Whatever I do it wants to burn (not copy) and then tells me the cd isn't fast enough to burn from. :)

Do you know what kind of file you have on that DVD? Is it a DVD that you can play on your DVD player or the .iso file?

Have you tried using Windows Explorer to copy the file(s) from the DVD to a new folder on your computer?

Being a 95% user of 7.5, I have always just used the preview screen and option in DVDbuilder before I burn a production to DVD. I guess I just never have ventured over to 8 to see what other options there were for previewing before burning, either to disc or as an ISO file.

Frank....

Question for Bruce--i alwats save my ISO files as well,but in ISO format.Whats the advantage of saving them thru Creator as a data file--must be good if you are doing it..bob
I'm not Bruce but I'll try to answer . . . A data file saves the ISO as a backup but it wouldn't function in a set top player. I sometimes back up ISOs that way but mostly I just have backups on multiple external drives which also store them as data BTW. :)

DVDBUILDER is the generic name that the program gives when a functional DVD (as opposed to a data DVD) is burned regardless of what the ISO is named. This behavior has annoyed many of us.

To view or copy the files, right click on the drive icon and then "explore". That should show you the files on the disk. You can also get the video back on your hard drive by capturing it.

To attach an image, you'll have to post it somewhere on online and then link to it. Click on the tree image in the editor's buttons and follow directions.

Thanks for the response. I knew the instant that I sent the question what I did wrong but couldn't take it back.

I wish someone would add to the list of smilies one with a red face and a big dunce hat .

See my reply to mlpasley also.

glenn :)

Do you know what kind of file you have on that DVD? Is it a DVD that you can play on your DVD player or the .iso file?

Have you tried using Windows Explorer to copy the file(s) from the DVD to a new folder on your computer?

No I had not and it occured to me almost as soon as I posted the question. (mea culpa and my bad).

Thanks much for your patience :huh: .

Guest mlpasley

There's no 'better' way. It's really a matter of choice and personal preference.

Keeping an .iso file on a Data DVD allows you to copy the .iso file back to your hard drive quickly using Windows Explorer. Then you can quickly make copies of the original DVD.

Bob, Burning an .iso file to a DATA DVD will give you another copy of what is on your external hard drive. You could then give a stack of the data dvds to a relative or friend for another safe method of storage just in case something happens to your safe deposit box or hardware in your external drive.

You could also burn the DVD itself to your external drive or give a copy of the DVD to the relative/friend for storage (a second copy for storage only).

You have a lot of different options including burning only the movie itself to a DVD or hard drive.

It really depends on how irreplaceable the video is to you and whether you want the .iso, dvd, or only the video.

As to previewing your DVD...... you have the option using Disk Copier to burn the DVD to your hard drive using the .iso file. Then you can play it from there using Roxio Player or many computers come with a DVD playing program. That's an option if you don't have 7.5 or don't want to mount a virtual drive on your computer with Disk Image Loader.

Archived