• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How To Drag And Drop

Michhala

Question

How do I make a drag and drop data backup on a DVD-RW disc with Roxio Creator Premier 10.3? I purchased a new Dell six months ago and included Roxio as an add-on.

I had an early version Roxio Creator on my old 2002 computer on which I could drag a file from C:\ directly to a formatted disk in CD-RW drive using Roxio “DirectCD). With Roxio 10.3, it seems as if I have to first drag the file to the project window and/or open the DVD-RW drive to burn it where file is listed as “Files Ready to be Written to Disk.

Help will be very much appreciated……thank you…..

Miki

Dell Studio XPS8100, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit

17 answers to this question

How do I make a drag and drop data backup on a DVD-RW disc with Roxio Creator Premier 10.3? I purchased a new Dell six months ago and included Roxio as an add-on.

I had an early version Roxio Creator on my old 2002 computer on which I could drag a file from C:\ directly to a formatted disk in CD-RW drive using Roxio "DirectCD). With Roxio 10.3, it seems as if I have to first drag the file to the project window and/or open the DVD-RW drive to burn it where file is listed as "Files Ready to be Written to Disk.

Help will be very much appreciated……thank you…..

Miki

Dell Studio XPS8100, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit

You have an OEM version of a very old program (2007) and its capabilities are very limited with many features missing or crippled. Dell is responsible for any problems with that version.

"Drag and Drop" (also known as Drag-to-Disc and DirectCd on old programs) has been dropped by Roxio.

You have a built-in version of a packet writing (drag to disc) program included in Windows 7

Creating a data CD in Windows 7 or Vista

1. Insert a blank CD or DVD into the disc drive.

2. From the Start menu, open Computer.

3. Navigate to and select the files you want to put on the CD. On the blue bar at the top of Windows Explorer, click Burn.

4. Name the disk, and then click Next. The files will begin to write to the disc.

Please note the spelling - magnetic media (hard drives) are spelt disK while optical (CD and DVD) are spelt disC

You have an OEM version of a very old program (2007) and its capabilities are very limited with many features missing or crippled. Dell is responsible for any problems with that version.

"Drag and Drop" (also known as Drag-to-Disc and DirectCd on old programs) has been dropped by Roxio.

Thank you for your reply. To what do you refer when you say I have an OEM version of a very old program (2007)? Are you referring to the Roxio Creator Premier 10.3 for which I paid regular retail price when I purchased my new Dell or the program that comes with the computer that I am using to drag and drop? I think you must refer to the latter, because it is practically prehistoric and behaves very badly. I thought that the "Drag and Drop" function was part of Windows 7. I am disappointed that Roxio dropped the "Drag and Drop" because that was one of the main reasons I purchased it.

I am having severe problems with my DVD-RW drive on the new machine when "dragging" my data to it. I use the drive for one of my three backups. It fails often. I purchased hardware warranties until 2013, but my software warrenty expired after 60 days. I called Dell hardware support and was told there was nothing wrong with my DVD-RW and that it was a software problem. I was connected to software support and was told there was a 50/50 chance that it was either hardware or software, but they would not talk to me unless I paid $239 for one-year software support.

That said, if I know their software is old and inferior, there is a possibility that the drive is failing because of their software and not because the drive is defective.

Thank you again......Miki

Thank you for your post. I need the "drag and drop" feature as I use the DVD-RW drive as one of my three backups. The other two backups are on external drives and I have no problem dragging and dropping to them....the procedure is quick, and I do not see a slow blue progress bar when I drag and drop to the external drives as I do when I drag to the DVD-RW drive. I keep a DVD-RW disc in the drive all the time as I back up to it as I work. I always use the instructions you posted when I burn music, but dragging is much faster for my purpose sending date as I go along.

Appreciate your input....thank you again....miki

Sorry to step in here; I have been following the thread but not posting.

I wanted to change a misconception. YOU DID NOT PAY FOR CREATOR 10.3. It is an OEM that comes with the computer. The full Creator would be either Easy Media Creator 10 or Creator 2010 (or 2011) and the cost would be in the $ 80-100 range.

If you have one of the later versions, there is a program called Burn Secure. You get to to from the Home page Clcik on tools and then "Configure Roxio Burn application".

To assure us what you really do have, post a screen shot of your home page , about window. Do not post the serial number.

By the way, are you using cheap DVD discs like Memorex or store brands? They are not as good as not creating any back up at all because they won't work when you need them.

First of all, I am happy you stepped in :)

Re my misconception -- when I purchased my Studio XPS 8100 just before Christmas 2010, it is my recollection that if I wanted Roxio, it was extra. I am looking at the Dell invoice which was $1553.37 without the monitor (which I purchased from Dell separately), and it lists Roxio Creator Premiere as "factory installed". In my mind, I recall looking up Roxio's retail price and comparing it with the extra I had to pay Dell.....but you would know better than I what "factory installed" means.

I am amidst lots of technical problems here, so if you would let me know how to do a printscreen and not have the serial number show, I would appreciate it. I have the shot with the serial number.

RE the Roxio "Burn Secure" -- there is no "Burn Secure" in my Roxio Tools. I thought I was getting the latest version. (BTW connecting to Home. About, etc. is very, very slow and there is noise from DVD-RW drive.....so they are obviously connected). It appears Roxio does not respond until the DVR-RW drive is ready.

Re cheap discs -- I am using Maxell.

I am really in a muddle -- I am using something here to "drag and drop" and it is not satisfactory. My DVD-seems to fail and need to be "fixed" as a result from the "drag and drop". I am not sure to which software the "drag and drop" belongs......and I hate using a creaky antiquated "drag and drop" on such a great computer with a beautiful monitor.

Miki

Re my misconception -- when I purchased my Studio XPS 8100 just before Christmas 2010, it is my recollection that if I wanted Roxio, it was extra. I am looking at the Dell invoice which was $1553.37 without the monitor (which I purchased from Dell separately), and it lists Roxio Creator Premiere as "factory installed". In my mind, I recall looking up Roxio's retail price and comparing it with the extra I had to pay Dell.....but you would know better than I what "factory installed" means.

I am amidst lots of technical problems here, so if you would let me know how to do a printscreen and not have the serial number show, I would appreciate it. I have the shot with the serial number.

RE the Roxio "Burn Secure" -- there is no "Burn Secure" in my Roxio Tools. I thought I was getting the latest version. (BTW connecting to Home. About, etc. is very, very slow and there is noise from DVD-RW drive.....so they are obviously connected). It appears Roxio does not respond until the DVR-RW drive is ready.

I am really in a muddle -- I am using something here to "drag and drop" and it is not satisfactory. My DVD-seems to fail and need to be "fixed" as a result from the "drag and drop". I am not sure to which software the "drag and drop" belongs......and I hate using a creaky antiquated "drag and drop" on such a great computer with a beautiful monitor.

Miki

Just post the Version and the build number. You mentioned that you may have bought "Roxio Creator 10. Premier" It is the OEM version (freebie). We'll know by the version number. There is also a Roxio Creator Silver (?) which is not an OEM version. This is the OEM Creator 10.2 DE ; yours may look similar. I believe that 10.3 has been upgraded to burn blu-ray data discs.

Opening the Home application may be a bit slow but it should not be tied to having a disc in the drive. If you put the disc in the drive, is there a small image of a disc at the lower right of your screen? That is the desktop burn application.

Just a clarification. The application in the earlier version of Easy Media Creator was called "Drag to Disc:; not 'Drag and Drop" That required a formatted CD disc and that formatting ate up a lot of space as did anytime you added a file. It did not work with DVD discs. D2D had some compatibility issues where people lost their files. Roxio dropped it. Nero had a similar application caledl InCD and they dropped that. Windows has a built in application so there was not a big fuss about that application being dropped.

If you do have an old version of D2D, then trying to use it with a DVD may be what is causing the noise.

gi7omy already gave you information on the Windows built in application so I won;t cover that again here.

Maxell are OK but most people here prefer Verbatim.

BTW, I bought a Dell XPS laptop late last year and it came with a completely different Roxio program. "Easy CD and DVD Burning"

Miki

In my opinion doing backups to a RW disc is a very poor idea on top of being very risky. It is good only for doing temprary backups. I would never use Drag ro disc to do any kind of backup, in fact I dumped the program as soon as possible if it appeared on any of my Roxio versions.

You would be much better to get a USB stick and do your backups to that. If you have enough data you could then burn the data to a CD-R or even DVD for storage using a "proper" burn program.

You definitely did not get the latest version and if you paid for it then "shame on Dell" for charging you.

Just post the Version and the build number. You mentioned that you may have bought "Roxio Creator 10. Premier" It is the OEM version (freebie). We'll know by the version number. There is also a Roxio Creator Silver (?) which is not an OEM version. This is the OEM Creator 10.2 DE ; yours may look similar. I believe that 10.3 has been upgraded to burn blu-ray data discs.

The version is 10.3 and the Build is 10345F, Copyright 2007, Sonic Solutions.

Opening the Home application may be a bit slow but it should not be tied to having a disc in the drive. If you put the disc in the drive, is there a small image of a disc at the lower right of your screen? That is the desktop burn application.

Opening the Home Application is very slow in responding with disc inserted and is much faster without a disc in the drive. The only thing in the lower right is a square reading "Welcome" and "Options". There is a disc on the lower left that reads "instert disc" and "reading".

Just a clarification. The application in the earlier version of Easy Media Creator was called "Drag to Disc:; not 'Drag and Drop" That required a formatted CD disc and that formatting ate up a lot of space as did anytime you added a file. It did not work with DVD discs. D2D had some compatibility issues where people lost their files. Roxio dropped it. Nero had a similar application caledl InCD and they dropped that. Windows has a built in application so there was not a big fuss about that application being dropped.

Thank you for the clarification, I used Easy Media Creator and "Drag to Disc" for exactly 8 years...and, yes, the CD required formatting. My current backup DVD-RW was formatted and made using Windows DVD Player. I am guessing that the dreadful blue progress bar app is also Windows?? What I do not understand is why I can "drag" files to my Western Digital external drive, and it takes a second and does not use the blue-bar app. Now is the first time I am looking at Roxio on the new computer. Months back, I burned several music CDs using Windows Media Player because I did not have the time to investigate Roxio.

If you do have an old version of D2D, then trying to use it with a DVD may be what is causing the noise.

Nope....don't have any old versions.

BTW, I bought a Dell XPS laptop late last year and it came with a completely different Roxio program. "Easy CD and DVD Burning"

Sounds good to me :)....I really appreciate your help....a lot....miki

In my opinion doing backups to a RW disc is a very poor idea on top of being very risky. It is good only for doing temprary backups. I would never use Drag ro disc to do any kind of backup, in fact I dumped the program as soon as possible if it appeared on any of my Roxio versions.

You would be much better to get a USB stick and do your backups to that. If you have enough data you could then burn the data to a CD-R or even DVD for storage using a "proper" burn program.

You definitely did not get the latest version and if you paid for it then "shame on Dell" for charging you.

I am aware of the drawbacks to using a RW disc for a backup, but I never had a problem. Sometime between 10 months and a year it would have indication the RW was not performing well, and I just made a new one. I did that for 8 years and used the RW when I had to reformat a hard drive, and all went well. However, now I have two external drives backing up, so what's the harm:)

Don't know much about large-capacity flash drives, which I would need. It is important that I keep all data copied to their folders on one drive that is easily accessible.

Having an older Roxio version cushions the disappointment of not having the "Drag to Disc" option :).....unless they charged me, which I will look into.

Appreciate your help so much.....miki

Hi myguggi -

Having been married to XP for eight years, methinks I am really out of the loop....a lot. I did a Search for Flash drives (USB stick?) and found plenty of large capacity drives. I happen to have an unused DataTraveler 102 that is 7.20 GB.....not big enough, but will work until I get one that is bigger. I have no idea of its reliability. Do you have any that you favor over others?

Miki

Hi myguggi -

Having been married to XP for eight years, methinks I am really out of the loop....a lot. I did a Search for Flash drives (USB stick?) and found plenty of large capacity drives. I happen to have an unused DataTraveler 102 that is 7.20 GB.....not big enough, but will work until I get one that is bigger. I have no idea of its reliability. Do you have any that you favor over others?

Miki

USB sticks have been around for a long time already and are now up to 32GB or larger in size. I have no idea on long term reliability since I only use them for temporary storage or for transfer to other computer etc.

I have no preference as to make since I have never had any problem with any.

Why do you say the 7.2GB USB is not big enough? It is certainly bigger then any CD or DVD if you are only using them for temporary storage.

USB sticks have been around for a long time already and are now up to 32GB or larger in size. I have no idea on long term reliability since I only use them for temporary storage or for transfer to other computer etc.

I have no preference as to make since I have never had any problem with any.

Why do you say the 7.2GB USB is not big enough? It is certainly bigger then any CD or DVD if you are only using them for temporary storage.

Yes, you are right.....it is larger than a DVD.

Miki

I am guessing that the dreadful blue progress bar app is also Windows?? What I do not understand is why I can "drag" files to my Western Digital external drive, and it takes a second and does not use the blue-bar app.

Miki,

When you're saving to your external WD hard drive, the external drive should be already up to speed and the transfer rate of your data should be in the order of 25MB to 100 MB a second - very fast, and over in an instant.

When you're writing to your DVDRW the drive has to start up, get up to speed, calibrate itself, and then write the file at perhaps 4x speed which is only 5.4 MB a second. Because it takes so long, you're provided with the blue 'progress bar'.

The software might have been upgraded to handle BD discs, but if you have a 16x DVD +/- RW burner that will only handle DVDs and CDs.

Regards,

Brendon

Miki,

When you're saving to your external WD hard drive, the external drive should be already up to speed and the transfer rate of your data should be in the order of 25MB to 100 MB a second - very fast, and over in an instant.

When you're writing to your DVDRW the drive has to start up, get up to speed, calibrate itself, and then write the file at perhaps 4x speed which is only 5.4 MB a second. Because it takes so long, you're provided with the blue 'progress bar'.

The software might have been upgraded to handle BD discs, but if you have a 16x DVD +/- RW burner that will only handle DVDs and CDs.

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Brendon -- Thank you so much for answering my question about why my external WD drive is so much faster than my DVD-RW and for clarifying that the DVD-RW drive is not blu-ray enabled.....I appreciate.

My DVD-RW failed again tonight when I attempted to drag a file to it.....so frustrating.

All the best from Miki

Archived