• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Pc Crashed In Process Converting Audio To Wav .. Files ?

Foxymom

Question

Hi, I'm new to Roxio. I am converting many audio cassettes so I can then either listen to them on my idpod or write them out to a CD. Most of the cassettes are conversations... books read... seminars... etc. I'm using Windows VISTA on a laptop with a dual cassette deck cabled to it.

My PC crashed & I had to reboot while I was in the middle of converting audio cassette tapes to wav. The crash had nothing to do with Roxio. However, I don't want to redo playing the cassette. Is there a way to determine the file name that was created and go from there? Also, I was having a problem when I got to the 2nd cassette. I know this is a file size problem. As the first cassette sounds great (both sides). However, when the 2nd cassette begins to play (the captured part), nothing is captured.... just noise. How to solve?

Thanks for any help, from a novice.

9 answers to this question

Hi, I checked my external drive and it has some audio.mp3 and audio.wav files. (audio.mp3, audio_1.mp3, audio_2.mp3, ..., audio.wav, audio_1.wav, ...) Since my pc crashed after I imported the audio and was in the process of eliminating the gaps, could this be the files?

Hi, I checked my external drive and it has some audio.mp3 and audio.wav files. (audio.mp3, audio_1.mp3, audio_2.mp3, ..., audio.wav, audio_1.wav, ...) Since my pc crashed after I imported the audio and was in the process of eliminating the gaps, could this be the files?

It's possible - play them in windows media player to find out

It's possible - play them in windows media player to find out

OK I played them. The first one seems to be the complete side 1A and 1B. the others seem to be clips. I was testing the player & the capture & the various settings within the program for optimal sound. I think that the other files are those.

So now I have the first cassette. Can I just start with the 2nd cassette (both sides) and then how do I put them together into one file? Or is that where the OS issues come into play?

The only OS issue should be whether you are using FAT32 which has a 4 GB limit on file sizes or NTFS, otherwise, just import cassette 2 in the same way you did cassette 1

You will run into a limit on a CD though as music CDs are roughly 70 minutes per disc

The only OS issue should be whether you are using FAT32 which has a 4 GB limit on file sizes or NTFS, otherwise, just import cassette 2 in the same way you did cassette 1

You will run into a limit on a CD though as music CDs are roughly 70 minutes per disc

ok.. Thanks.. Now that I'm past the crash issue.... should I post in another area? My only other question in this is.. Does the software take care of splitting the file or should I just assume one cassette (both sides) per CD and copy the files myself?

sorry, I forgot to say that my hard drive is NTFS. I have a dual tape deck. So it went from tape to tape. Roxio was saving files... I noticed as I was checking and removing some of the large gaps, that the 2nd tape sound was terrible... just hissing... but that wasn't what was coming from the tape deck. I assumed it was due to the file type of my hard drive.. I think that I will just run each cassette separate. Then when I create the cd or mp3 files I will create a cd for each cassette due to the 70 min. limitation. There isn't any reason to separate the mp3 files except to keep things the same.

Does that sound right?

If you're burning mp3s as mp3, then they're just data and the file size comes into play (and you'll get a lot more mp3s than cda on a single disc)

You should have had the OEM version of Sound Soap bundled with Creator - look for that and see if it helps remove the tape hiss

If you're burning mp3s as mp3, then they're just data and the file size comes into play (and you'll get a lot more mp3s than cda on a single disc)

You should have had the OEM version of Sound Soap bundled with Creator - look for that and see if it helps remove the tape hiss

OK I'll work on that this evening. I'll let you know what I discover. Again thanks for your help.,

Archived