• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Opening Existing Files And Best Quality

Nigel Fookes

Question

I have about 30 vhs tapes to convert and I want the best quality possible, what is the best method. Obviously clicking on high quality and using the s video cable is best but should I shift to using my digital cam corder as a digitizer as I have in the past. I will need to do a bit of editing as well.

1. Can I choose which version of I movie I use, I prefer I Movie HD but I have a latter version as well and the program seems to default to the latter one.

2. How can I open an existing file that hasn't been converted yet other than in Toast. The program gives the option of multiple captures but unless its converted to I Movie one at a time then they are lost as far as importing is concerned. This is supposed to be easy but it certainly not flexible.

I was hoping to just grab all the footage at this stage best quality and edit it at a later date, getting worried about time. I realise that I need to copy to an external drive because of the volume but that has the positive spin off of being able to store somewhere else in case of fire

Thanks for any help

running 10.6 2gb ram having no problems with actual capture other than making sure I get 5-10 seconds of pre clip footage, as there seems to be a few missed frames at the start but it settles down

4 answers to this question

Thanks for that, you pretty well confirm it's inflexability. It's not really what I was after when I brought it. I was hoping for something that would give me an AVI or MOV without too much hassle. I will now do a side by side experiment with my old DV handy cam as a converter to see how the quality compares. I'll post my result

Thanks for that, you pretty well confirm it's inflexability. It's not really what I was after when I brought it. I was hoping for something that would give me an AVI or MOV without too much hassle. I will now do a side by side experiment with my old DV handy cam as a converter to see how the quality compares. I'll post my result

The Roxio device saves time for those who want to quickly make a video DVD. But for those who want to edit their videos it is not as useful. Your camcorder pass through saves a lot of time because it can directly capture within iMovie and Dv is an excellent format for editing. You also can tweak the image quality of DV video in iMovie. There are devices similar to the Roxio unit that import directly as h.264 (see ElGato) so that's a good way to go for people who want to edit before converting to video DVD. Still it isn't as fast as capturing directly into iMovie.

Thanks for that, seems like elgato may have been better, but looking at the Mac shop it was twice the price of the Roxio. I have done a side by side comparison using the same 20 year old 30 second vhs clip. Two tests one between std component and the s-video and the other test between Roxio and DV camcorder both running through I movie. Results were there appeared no difference at all between std and s-video which surprised me, possibly because this is old edited footage that perhaps lost that advantage during initial editing all those years ago. The other test- Roxio v camcorder all outputs were through share quicktime and default settings. The initial file sizes were smaller 30mb for the Roxio compared with approx 140mb dv file for the camcorder 4 times the size. However when both were processed through quicktime they all ended up about 45mb (including s-video versions). The playing quality was slightly better for the camcorder version, smoother edges and occasionally the roxio version would have a few pixally moments. Added to this I cant go back to the roxio prime file as I only get the one time option for I movie (although still accessable through toast) unless I go through a whole other conversion process.

End result I'll stick with the camcorder, I only want to do this capture once and the best quality possible but I concur with you that it may be a handy little device for quick one off jobs. I can see that it may be a useful device for importing audio from the old turntable etc and then using Spin Doctor or something similar to clean up.

Thanks for your help

You can't choose the version of iMovie. But once the video is imported to iMovie it is saved on the hard drive in a format that iMovie HD can open. The only time when the video can be converted to that format is at the end of the capture. Otherwise you have an MPEG 2 video which can be later converted using a full version of Toast or Popcorn or some other MPEG 2 conversion application. The video can only be captured to the startup hard drive. After the capture you can copy it elsewhere using the Finder.

Archived