How To Import From A Dvd Camcorder

sherlock99

Question

Hi all,

could somebody please spoon feed a newbie !!!

I may know my way around computers but video editing has never really been my thing, but I am keen to learn. I have two questions:

I have a Sony DVD camcorder which has around 65 chapters of video footage. Naturally, the camcorder records to its DVD in DVD format. If I select "Edit Video - Advanced" (Videowave) and choose to import from the camcorder it shows 4 pieces of footage with chapters beneath each of the footage pieces. If I select one of the 4 pieces of footage and import it as WMV for example, it puts the whole footage as a single entry in Videowave, which makes individual chapter deleting/trimming/dragging a little tricky.

1) Can chapters be imported rather than the over-arching footage to ease the editing process?

On the matter of importing, I would like to copy the contents of the camcorders DVD to my PC as a master copy to free up the DVD. I can do this through Windows Explorer and browse to it to launch it but this seems the wrong approach. If I Copy to Image (ISO) then Videowave cannot import it.

2) What is the recommended approach/format for migrating DVD formatted footage to a PC using Roxio Creator 2011 so it can then be manipulated in Videowave?.

If I'm missing the point, please feel free to highlight my shortcomings !!!.

Many thanks,

sherlock99.

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

Roxio Creator 2011 Pro

11 answers to this question

Hi sknis,

just for info only, I tried the process last night and I was unable to use "scene detection" on any of my VOB files. I tried footage from my DVD camcorder, from a DVD created by my DVD player/recorder and from an original DVD movie. In all cases the option was greyed out when right clicking the file. I tried the process with an .AVI file and it worked fine and found all the individual chapters.

Unless you know different, I suspect that this feature is not available for .VOB files which means I'm back to converting it to .WMV using the Videowave Capture/Import option (or "Copy & Covert DVD-Video" option) prior to detecting the scenes which is a frustrating but acceptable compromise.

In my mind this shouldn't have to be done and can only introduce the possibility of picture quality loss, especially if my camcorder had been HD instead of SD but hey, what do I know (not enough, clearly!)

Thank you for your time in this matter and your tolerance with a newbie video editor !!.

Regards,

Sherlock99.

Hi sknis,

just for info only, I tried the process last night and I was unable to use "scene detection" on any of my VOB files. I tried footage from my DVD camcorder, from a DVD created by my DVD player/recorder and from an original DVD movie. In all cases the option was greyed out when right clicking the file. I tried the process with an .AVI file and it worked fine and found all the individual chapters.

Unless you know different, I suspect that this feature is not available for .VOB files which means I'm back to converting it to .WMV using the Videowave Capture/Import option (or "Copy & Covert DVD-Video" option) prior to detecting the scenes which is a frustrating but acceptable compromise.

In my mind this shouldn't have to be done and can only introduce the possibility of picture quality loss, especially if my camcorder had been HD instead of SD but hey, what do I know (not enough, clearly!)

Thank you for your time in this matter and your tolerance with a newbie video editor !!.

Regards,

Sherlock99.

OK, I learned something.

Change your folder options so that Windows shows known file formats. Look in that folder again and you should see the VOB designation. Right click on it and select to rename. Change the extension from VOB to mpg. It should work then. Ignore the warning; you can always change it back.

Mpg is what goes on a disc (as you can probably figure out from the above discussion). Never change the files to wmv if you want them on a video disc.

Copy is the correct way of doing it. Read your manual; you may have to finalize the disc (you will be able to use it again). Just copy everything to a folder on your computer.

Once you do that, what are the extensions of the files in that folder?

This is an old tutorial but this may also help once you get the video onto your computer and into Video Wave (Edit Video-Advanced).

Hi sknis,

yes, I have finalised the DVD in order to read the DVD via USB so all files are in DVD format under VIDEO_TS (.IFO etc)

The ideal solution to me it seems, is to open the DVD formatted files, edit and save as DVD or ISO with no conversion to introduce possible loss of quality between conversions.

I'll have a look at the video you linked to me, thanks.

Any further help on this topic would be appreciated.

Regards,

sherlock99.

Hi sknis,

yes, I have finalised the DVD in order to read the DVD via USB so all files are in DVD format under VIDEO_TS (.IFO etc)

The ideal solution to me it seems, is to open the DVD formatted files, edit and save as DVD or ISO with no conversion to introduce possible loss of quality between conversions.

I'll have a look at the video you linked to me, thanks.

Any further help on this topic would be appreciated.

Regards,

sherlock99.

See all those VOB files in the folder? They are really just mpg2 files under a different name. Video Wave will accept the vob files as is, just drag them in.

Forgive my ignorance sknis.

I've tried dragging in the files you mention and it works fine, but then I end up with 4 pieces of footage. For example the first "movie" is 22 minutes long, but its made up of around 35 chapters. The original query was, can I pull in those chapters to the Storyline as separate clips in order to tweak stuff easily? Or is that what your video link is showing me?

Thanks also for your interest cdanteek. Not quite sure why it's relevant, but I'm using DVD-RW media in the camcorder. Mini 4.7Gb I believe. Excuse my vagueness as it is actually my fathers camcorder (and his Creator 2011) but as the family "IT support" member I want to learn first in order to pass on the knowledge. I'm sure we've all been there right.

And thank you both for your ongoing patience.

Regards,

sherlock99.

Forgive my ignorance sknis.

I've tried dragging in the files you mention and it works fine, but then I end up with 4 pieces of footage. For example the first "movie" is 22 minutes long, but its made up of around 35 chapters. The original query was, can I pull in those chapters to the Storyline as separate clips in order to tweak stuff easily? Or is that what your video link is showing me?

And thank you both for your ongoing patience.

Regards,

sherlock99.

Why didn't you just watch the video tutorial?

:huh:

Do you think I posted it for the fun of it?

or am I missing some point that you are trying to make ?

Sorry sknis, that was a bad post. I didnt explain myself.

I did watch the tutorial. I suppose what I meant to ask was if it was the same for DVD as it was for mpg, as shown in the tutorial. I wasnt aware of the "Scene Detection" option which Im guessing is what I am after. From your earlier replies it sounds as though I just need to highlight each VOB file in turn, choose Scene Detection and all the chapters will be available for dragging into the Storyline window.

Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sorry sknis, that was a bad post. I didnt explain myself.

I did watch the tutorial. I suppose what I meant to ask was if it was the same for DVD as it was for mpg, as shown in the tutorial. I wasnt aware of the "Scene Detection" option which Im guessing is what I am after. From your earlier replies it sounds as though I just need to highlight each VOB file in turn, choose Scene Detection and all the chapters will be available for dragging into the Storyline window.

Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

As I said before, your VOB fikes are really just mpg2 files. You can do scene selection manually or automatically and you can do it in Video Wave or Media Manager. Right click on the VOB file and select that option.

Archived