Emc8 Can't Write To Dvd-r Or Dvd+r Media

daveinflorida@hotmail.com

Question

Two of the apps in the EMC8 Suite can see but won't write to media DVD-R or DVD+R on my computer. I've created a slideshow and some videos that I have combined into a project and when I go to burn it with either MyDVD or MyDVDexpress I can only use DVD+RW or DVD-RW formatted disc. Has anyone else run into this problem? I've downloaded and installed the latest updates and tried several different manufactures for the media without success. One odd thing is that the Roxio Drag-to-Disc has no problem writing to any of the formats.

9 answers to this question

If the suggestion above didn't work:

Blank DVD-R/DVD+R do not need to be formatted to be used. If you are formatting these disc with Drag to Disc, they can not be used for anything else! The DVD RW discs probably worked because they can be erased before burning.

Dave: Try this link below. It sounds like you may need this fix.

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/kb/emc8/ee...YMMLQCQAMYVRVQQ

Grampadave

:) Found out through talking with Tech Support that the "burn" to the DVD takes place at the end of the "Production" process not during the compilation of the production. I also replaced my older NVidia card with an ATI one and that helped as will. The newer graphics card is much faster and has twice as much memory 256 MB. Another action that helps is to turn off all processes that aren't essential and thereby freeing up valuable CPU capacity that this program uses a lot of when compiling a produciton. The confusion about when the production was actually being burned to DVD happened because when I used the DVD-RW Roxio looked like it was hitting the writer a lot during the compilation. When I use the DVD-R or DVD+R Roxio waited til after the compilatiion and then burned the production. Anyways I found burning to and .ISO then using that image to burn a DVD is the fastest way to go if you need to make more then one copy.

What brand of drive is it? I remember an older post with problems with a Dell system drive. Make sure you have the latest firmware for the drive.

Also, do you have any similar software installed that might be causing a conflict?

Okay, the problem still exist. The things I have either confirmed or tried are:

Removed every piece of Studio 10 I could find

Downloaded and ran the update recommened by GrandpaDave.

Confirmed that the DRU-810 firmware is the latest - Rev 1.0d.

Attempted to download the engine update but the Sonic server appears to be down so I couldn't get to it. Will have to try that one tomorrow.

As I said the problem still remains that the EMC8 apps can see the DVD-R and +R but just won't write to the media.

Thanks for the help.

Any other suggestions?

We may have to reference your post or quote you. :) Thanks for posting that information. The best practice is burning to iso and not running any other programs while rendering but some people are skeptic.

For people reading this post; a graphics card with 128MB memory works fine also. Go with what you can afford and what is on sale :D

:huh: Found out through talking with Tech Support that the "burn" to the DVD takes place at the end of the "Production" process not during the compilation of the production. I also replaced my older NVidia card with an ATI one and that helped as will. The newer graphics card is much faster and has twice as much memory 256 MB. Another action that helps is to turn off all processes that aren't essential and thereby freeing up valuable CPU capacity that this program uses a lot of when compiling a produciton. The confusion about when the production was actually being burned to DVD happened because when I used the DVD-RW Roxio looked like it was hitting the writer a lot during the compilation. When I use the DVD-R or DVD+R Roxio waited til after the compilatiion and then burned the production. Anyways I found burning to and .ISO then using that image to burn a DVD is the fastest way to go if you need to make more then one copy.

What brand of drive is it? I remember an older post with problems with a Dell system drive. Make sure you have the latest firmware for the drive.

Also, do you have any similar software installed that might be causing a conflict?

I have two Sony burners installed a DRU-810 and a DRU-500. The problem occurs with either device. I've updated the firmware on the 500 but that didn't fix the problem. I'll have to go back and check the Sony suport page for 810 updates. I do have Studio 10 installed as well, I'll remove it. I do like the EMC8 GUI much better. ;-)

Blank DVD-R/DVD+R do not need to be formatted to be used. If you are formatting these disc with Drag to Disc, they can not be used for anything else! The DVD RW discs probably worked because they can be erased before burning.

Thanks, I'm not formatting the disc. Wondered about that but haven't done that. Your point about the RW media makes some sense. I've put the DVD-R and DVD+R (Sony, TDK and Max) into both of my burners (DRU-810 and DRU-500) and initiated a burn. Both fail.

Dave: Try this link below. It sounds like you may need this fix.

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/kb/emc8/ee...YMMLQCQAMYVRVQQ

Grampadave

Thanks, I did search the knowledge base for a solution but not for "read" of DVDs. The odd thing with my setup is that the Roxio Drag-to-Disc will write to the DVD-R, +R disc and I can read them as well. Both MyDVD and MyDVD Express see the DVD-R, +R. Both give me the "burn" option on the popup burn menu, but neither will actually execute the write. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks again Daveinflorida

go to sonic web site and download the sonic engine updater, it worked for me

pat

Thanks Pat, I'll try this as well and come back with the results. What problem did you corrected with this update? The same as this one?

Two of the apps in the EMC8 Suite can see but won't write to media DVD-R or DVD+R on my computer. I've created a slideshow and some videos that I have combined into a project and when I go to burn it with either MyDVD or MyDVDexpress I can only use DVD+RW or DVD-RW formatted disc. Has anyone else run into this problem? I've downloaded and installed the latest updates and tried several different manufactures for the media without success. One odd thing is that the Roxio Drag-to-Disc has no problem writing to any of the formats.

when I go to burn it with either MyDVD or MyDVDexpress I can only use DVD+RW or DVD-RW formatted disc.

Archived