Cineplayer

Joeretired

I downloaded and tried to install CinePlayer for Vista. Vista is at sp2. Just re-installed this past week. Trying to allow Windows Media Player to play mpeg2 videos, for my grandaughter. Anyhow it installed incorrectly and I've unable to remove it from the system for a re-install. The messages below were sent to Roxio support. I'm waiting to hear back. If anyone knows where else I should look please let me know

Just to reiterate, when I 1st tried to install Cineplayer, it installed incorrectly, it will not let me do a reinstall. I checked ADD/REMOVE programs and it's not listed, so that I can remove it. The level one person had me delete any roxio/sonic files. I only found 2 Roxio files and no Sonic files. The 1st was the Roxio folder contained in the Programs folder. The 2nd was found HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder and I removed that. Did not find any entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder.

I have rebooted system, and also redownloaded the install folder. Still getting message as follows:

Roxio CinePlayer DVD Decoder for Windows Vista 1.0.0 is already installed.

To uninstall or repair this application use "ADD or REMOVE PROGRAMS", in control panel.

Just to restate it is not listed in "ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS"

I downloaded and tried to install CinePlayer for Vista. Vista is at sp2. Just re-installed this past week. Trying to allow Windows Media Player to play mpeg2 videos, for my grandaughter. Anyhow it installed incorrectly and I've unable to remove it from the system for a re-install. The messages below were sent to Roxio support. I'm waiting to hear back. If anyone knows where else I should look please let me know

Just to reiterate, when I 1st tried to install Cineplayer, it installed incorrectly, it will not let me do a reinstall. I checked ADD/REMOVE programs and it's not listed, so that I can remove it. The level one person had me delete any roxio/sonic files. I only found 2 Roxio files and no Sonic files. The 1st was the Roxio folder contained in the Programs folder. The 2nd was found HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder and I removed that. Did not find any entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder.

I have rebooted system, and also redownloaded the install folder. Still getting message as follows:

Roxio CinePlayer DVD Decoder for Windows Vista 1.0.0 is already installed.

To uninstall or repair this application use "ADD or REMOVE PROGRAMS", in control panel.

Perhaps I missed why you need to uninstall what - CinePlayer or the wmv plug in to allow WMP to play DVDs or something else? Why do you need to uninstall it? What are you trying to play? A standard commercial DVD or other? What happens when you try to play a DVD?

Sometimes you have to trick the computer. Download the free REVO Uninstaller from cnet.com. Install it and then look to see if Cineplayer is listed. If so uninstall it using the Moderate Mode. It will try to use the built-in uninstaller and then search the computer for those associated entries that are safe to remove.

If that doesn't work, try the free trial of the Pro version of Revo. It is supposed to uninstall a partially installed version of a piece of hardware. I have not used that version but it may be worth the try.

Have you thought about using a Windows Restore point to roll back your computer to just before you installed it? If you made a lot of changes to your computer, that may not be practical.

o uninstall or repair this application use "ADD or REMOVE PROGRAMS", in control panel.

CinePlayer for Vista. Vista is at sp2.

There is no add remove programs in Vista. it's called Programs and Features (uninstall or change a program) and the full path is, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features.

Archived