• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Editing Video - Preview & 'Real' out of Sync

Julie

Question

Hi there.

When I am editing video in the Timeline view of Videowave7, what shows in the Preview frame is different from what point I am really at if I want to split the frame. For example, I'll play 30 seconds of video and as I'm watching the Preview frame, I see a section I want to cut out of the production. So I stop the playback immediately. When I use the slide to go back the 2 seconds I need.... in reality I need to move the slider back about 15 seconds on the timeline to get to the point that matches with what I see in the Preview frame. (i.e., the slider is farther along in the production than what Preview is showing.)

This is a VERY time-consuming process 'cause I'm having to keep guessing how far back I have to go to find what I JUST saw on the Preview frame.

Is there anyway to get this to 'synch' up better so it's not off by so much??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Julie

11 answers to this question

First off Julie it would be nice to know where you got the video from. Sounds to me like you need to expand the time track in Timeline view so the time increment is much smaller. Use the small + & minus icon about the timeline to increase or decrease the time. That way you can see a lot closer where you want to split a section out, if that's what you want to do.

Next if you really want to get down to each frame of the video, you can use the small horizontal "wheel" under the preview screen to move a very small time on the video. Also there is one of the buttons on the same line as the play button is on that can move the video a frame at a time.

If the entire video is out of sinc withn the audio portion, then you probably have a different problem. For that you might want to give the forum a little more information about your computer setup and where the video came from before placing it in Videowave.

Frank....

The audio is not out of sync.

I captured the video from a DVD using the Roxio Capture. It is an mpeg file.

I do not have trouble splitting at the right point. Once I back up the video and play it SLOWLY - i.e., use my slide to move small segments at a time - then the video shown in the Preview is actually where I am in the timeline view. The problem is when I am playing larger sections at a time - say 30 seconds. Then what is shown in Preview is not where I am on the Timeline. I need to back it up with the slider about 15 seconds to get that same image to show again in the Preview screen.

It is not jumpy when it plays in the preview, so it does not seem to be a memory thing. It just seems like the 'slider' moves faster than the video in the Preview screen...

???

You're absolutely correct Julie. When you have the timeline view set to a large increment of time and move your slider very fast, you will always see what appears to be the audio and video out of sync. However, there shouldn't be any problems if that's what you are referring to. When you kick the time line back to a very small increment of time and use the other time placement buttons, then you will see what you want. So you can't move that slider that fast. If you just want to move to an approximate place on the video, just use the "pause" button and move to a different location on the video and then start the play again. The faster you move that colored slider, the more you will notice being out of sync.

That's all assuming you don't have a problem with your original capture.

Frank....

I guess I'm not doing a good job of explaining myself.

The audio is not out of sync with the video.

The preview screen is out of sync with where the slider is down below.

It was recommended to pause before moving the slider. This wouldn't make any sense 'cause I am playing the video, thus the slider is moving forward automatically. I am playing the video to decide what to cut. After 30 seconds or so of playing, I will find a section I want to crop out. The position of the slider, at this point, is out of sync with what I am seeing in the Preview screen. I need to move the slider BACK to find the 'true' video position of what I am seeing in the Preview screen. Since I have to try MANY, multiple locations to find the correct spot of what I want to crop - this is very time-intensive. Move the slider back - see what's on the preview screen.... move the slider back.... see what's on the preview screen.... etc. until I get it to 'match' what I saw on the preview screen when I originally stopped it. - i.e., the point at which I want to crop.

Any suggestions on how to get this to 'match up' better would be GREATLY appreciated. I wouldn't mind if it was a 'little bit' off... but right now the slider moves almost twice as far as it should. e.g., for 30 seconds of video playing, the slider gets off by 15 seconds or so....

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Guest mlpasley

Are you editing in VideoWave and in the Timeline View?

Hitting pause when you see the portion that you want to edit makes sense. Then you can go forward or back one frame at a time until you find the place you want to split.

How do you know that the slider is out of sync? Have you tried 'splitting' it at that location?

Is it the sound playback that's out of sync or the video? Having the video out of sync would be extremely unusual, but it's possible that the computer isn't playing the sound back properly as you edit.

My computer edits mpeg2 files very badly. I do a File\ Output production to.... DV Camcorder to make an avi file that my computer edits smoothly.

Are you editing in VideoWave and in the Timeline View? YES

How do you know that the slider is out of sync? Have you tried 'splitting' it at that location?

YES. IF I SPLIT AT THAT LOCATION, IT IS WRONG - IT IS REALLY 15 SEC FARTHER ALONG THAN WHAT I WANTED.

WHEN I PAUSE AND GO BACK A FRAME OR TWO - THE PREVIEW THEN 'CORRECTS' ITSELF AND SHOWS ACCURATELY WHAT IS AT THAT POINT FOR SPLITTING. IT IS ONLY WHEN I LET IT PLAY FOR A DURATION (EVEN A SHORT DURATION) THAT IT GETS 'OFF'. SO WHEN I GO TO FIND THE 'ACCURATE' SPOT THAT I WANT TO SPLIT - AND I MOVE THE SLIDER TO A SPECIFIC SPOT- USUALLY 5 SECONDS OR SO AT A TIME BACKWARDS - I'LL FIND THE ACCURATE SPOT TO SPLIT. THIS WILL BE WHAT I SAW IN MY PREVIEW WHEN I PAUSED THE PREVIEW PLAYBACK.

Is it the sound playback that's out of sync or the video? Having the video out of sync would be extremely unusual, but it's possible that the computer isn't playing the sound back properly as you edit.

AGAIN, MY SOUND IS NOT OUT OF SYNC. EVER. THE ONLY THING OUT OF SYNC IS WHERE THE SLIDER IS ON THE TIMELINE VIEW AND WHAT'S IN THE PREVIEW SCREEN *DURING PLAYBACK*.

PERHAPS I WILL CONVERT MY NEXT VIDEO TO AVI AS YOU SUGGESTED TO SEE IF THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE. IT'S ONE THING TO TRY!!!!!!! I'M HAPPY TO GET ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!

THANKS!

Guest mlpasley
PERHAPS I WILL CONVERT MY NEXT VIDEO TO AVI AS YOU SUGGESTED TO SEE IF THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE. IT'S ONE THING TO TRY!!!!!!! I'M HAPPY TO GET ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!

THANKS!

That's about the only thing I can think of that might help. Editing mpeg2 on my computer, even if I import it with EMC7, never works correctly. I get freezing, jumping, etc. which makes editing a very frustrating experience. Others have no problems, so I can only assume it's something to do with my computer's configuration. I always import DV AVI from my camcorder.

However, you're going to need about 14 Gbs of hard drive space for each hour of DV AVI video. Put the video on the storyboard and do a File\ Output production as..... and select DV camcorder. When it comes time to output it to the camcorder, just choose Finish.

Guest mlpasley
Not to sound stupid if this is obvious... but does that really output it to a camcorder - or are we just trying to 'trick' the system? I don't have a camcorder. All my files that I import for editing come from DVD's that I download.

?

Yeah, you're tricking the system.

Or you can select the film canister next to the DVD icon and choose Video File, then DV AVI.

It's quicker and less confusing to pick the DV Camcorder option. Just don't output it to the camcorder, choose finish instead.

Not to sound stupid if this is obvious... but does that really output it to a camcorder - or are we just trying to 'trick' the system? I don't have a camcorder. All my files that I import for editing come from DVD's that I download.

?

Archived