Michael Graubart

Cannot Determine Cd Burning Speed

Question

I use Toast Titanium 9.0.7 on a Mac G4 (PPC) with OS X 10.4.11.

When burning a CD, I like to set the speed to something like 8X rather than 'Best' to reduce the chance of drop-outs or skips. I used to use my Mac's built-in Pioneer optical drive, but when it started to give trouble I bought an external LaCie d2 drive (the burner is Tsstcorp CDDVDW SH-5223L), connected to my computer via FireWire. I now find that if I set my burning speed to 8X and start burning, the burning speed that actually is established is around 14X or even higher, and when I look at my recorder settings in Toast after the CD has been finished, it has reverted to 'Best'. This never happened with my old internal Pioneer drive, and I should be very grateful for any advice as to how to make Toast stick to my predetermined speed.

1 answer to this question

I don't know why it is behaving that way. What should happen is that after you insert a blank disc and it is recognized by Toast that the speed options available for that particular drive and media are either highlighted in bold face or the only speeds shown depending on the version of Toast. Toast should default to that setting in the future. If you select a speed before the media is inserted and it is not one of the supported ones then Toast may default back to Best but I'm not certain of that. If this isn't behaving correctly I suggest trashing the Toast plist and prefs files in your User>Library>Preferences folder and relaunch Toast. It may be that the preferences are corrupted and Toast is unable to update them properly.