• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

DVD from VIDEO_TS - disappearing chapters

ajw

Question

I'm quite new at DVD burning and new at Toast 7, having just upgraded from Toast 5. I searched here for a solution to this issue but one didn't leap out at me.

I've got a VIDEO_TS folder with five .VOB files plus the other usual .IFO and .BUP files. I'm trying to burn the lot to DVD-Video, and had reasonable success with some freeware (Burn) burning software, which would create a disc with chapters according to the various .VOB files. This played ok on a normal DVD player, and you could skip to the next chapter, etc.

I'm trying to do the same with Toast 7, but when I drag the VIDEO_TS folders into the Toast window, it lists the file as one long movie, and when I create a disc image to test it out, it's one long chapter. I haven't actually burnt it to disc yet, as I want to be sure that the chapters will be respected.

How do I get Toast to respect the chapters like the freeware burner did? I just bought Toast 7 thinking it would do a better job of all this.

2 answers to this question

Toast automatically recognizes and retains existing chapter markers in VIDEO_TS folders so I don't know why yours did not. There are two ways to burn a VIDEO_TS to DVD with Toast. One is to choose the DVD video from VIDEO_TS setting in the Video window and the other is to drag the VIDEO_TS to the Data window. Which did you do?

Toast automatically recognizes and retains existing chapter markers in VIDEO_TS folders so I don't know why yours did not. There are two ways to burn a VIDEO_TS to DVD with Toast. One is to choose the DVD video from VIDEO_TS setting in the Video window and the other is to drag the VIDEO_TS to the Data window. Which did you do?

I did the former method.

The material I'm working with is from a previously home-authored DVD of some continuous home video footage. I was given the VIDEO_TS files as data on a disc and asked to burn them to DVD-Video. I haven't watched the original on DVD, and am thinking that there were no chapters originally inserted. The chapters I saw when using the freeware burning software maybe just occurred as a result of the software compiling the disc from the separate VOB files.

In any case, I ended up making a successful DVD with the default five-minute chapter markers, by working in DVD-Video mode and dragging in the DVD-Video file from the Media Browser (i.e. letting Toast extract the MPEG information from the VIDEO_TS folder on the Desktop).

The disc plays fine on the computer but won't work properly on a standalone player that I tried it with (menu selection doesn't work), but I imagine that's a topic for another thread.

Thanks for your help!

ajw

PB G4, 10.4.7, Toast 7.1

Archived