Lost Track Extraction Capabilities

benldboy

Question

CD spin doctor will not send seperate tracks to toast or itunes, it all comes out as whole recorded track. The tracks being sent transfer as the titled tracks but are all the same entire recording I made. I have snow leapard with all the regular updates. do you think mac changed something? Everything was working fine a month ago.

a month ago.

8 answers to this question

It does work, but it loses all the title and name information that Spin Doctor finds. If iTunes can identify the tracks, then that is not a problem. But Spin Doctor is much better at identifying tracks so it is a shame to lose it.

I was hoping I could use Toast to extract or save the individual tracks as separate names files, but I have not figured that out, nor do I know if it would save all the track identification information.

So far, I am finding Spin Doctor to be the buggiest software I have ever encountered. It randomly crashes, most of the time I cannot record streams through the computer and when it outputs a list of tracks to iTunes, the music is always the first one (even though the other tracks are identified properly).

I know of a buggier software: the Spin Doctor X that Roxio bundles with Toast 11. Ouch! However, Toast 10 is retaining the album/artist/track information when converting to iTunes on my Mac. When the tracks are in the Audio CD setting in Toast's Audio window I select Get Track Info... from the Disc Menu. There I can add the Album name and the artist name if not already present. Then I choose Save as Disc Image. Next I move to the Convert window and choose Audio Files as the format and drag in the .sd2f disc image file. All the tracks are shown individually and each retains the artist/album/track information. Those all appear in iTunes when I choose the iTunes conversion preset. All this worked even though I forgot to put a check mark next to Add CD-Text in the Audio window, so that isn't a variable with the disc image.

Check to see if this works (it did for me with a test file): In Spin Doctor click the Toast icon to send to Toast. The tracks end up in the Audio CD window. They each showed up as marked in CD Spin Doctor. If this is the case on your Mac, choose Save as Disc Image. Then choose Audio Files as the format in the Toast Convert window and drag in the .sd2f file. You now can export the tracks to iTunes.

Thanks, this works to a degree, but the problem is that I want to clean up the audio using CDSD and then export them to iTunes. I've tried to save the files in the other ways that are available but I still get the same result; the two tracks are separate with different times and names but are actually the first recording.

Those all appear in iTunes when I choose the iTunes conversion preset. All this worked even though I forgot to put a check mark next to Add CD-Text in the Audio window, so that isn't a variable with the disc image.

I am sorry to hear that they have not improved the software with the next version. My main reason for upgrading was for the "improved" Spin Doctor.

This is where I get lost. What is the "iTunes conversion preset"? There are things in Toast 10 that I cannot figure out that I could do on Toast 7.

I have been exporting to a disk image and then mounting the disk image. The music is imported to iTunes just like it is a physical disk which means it then searches on the database all over again for disk information. Unless I have the full entire CD, it does not find information. This works, sometimes, when I am converting old LPs or tapes to iTunes, but not always. It almost never works for streaming since I have only a snippet or two.

I am sorry to hear that they have not improved the software with the next version. My main reason for upgrading was for the "improved" Spin Doctor.

This is where I get lost. What is the "iTunes conversion preset"? There are things in Toast 10 that I cannot figure out that I could do on Toast 7.

I have been exporting to a disk image and then mounting the disk image. The music is imported to iTunes just like it is a physical disk which means it then searches on the database all over again for disk information. Unless I have the full entire CD, it does not find information. This works, sometimes, when I am converting old LPs or tapes to iTunes, but not always. It almost never works for streaming since I have only a snippet or two.

Don't mount the .sd2f disc image or add it to iTunes. Toast has five tabs across the top of its window. They are Data, Audio, Video, Copy and Convert. In Toast 7 the Convert function was in the Audio window but it now a window of its own. Click the tab that reveals the Convert window. There you'll see a list of types of sources you may want to convert. Choose Audio Files. Now drag the .sd2f file into the window and you'll see each of your tracks with their names. Now click the big red button and that opens a window where you choose your conversion format. One of the options is iTunes. When you execute the conversion the audio tracks are converted to AAC and should be imported by iTunes in the iTunes Library with all the info appearing with the tracks in iTunes.

Thanks, this works to a degree, but the problem is that I want to clean up the audio using CDSD and then export them to iTunes. I've tried to save the files in the other ways that are available but I still get the same result; the two tracks are separate with different times and names but are actually the first recording.

Doesn't it work to set the filters before clicking the send to Toast icon? Those filters are supposed to be applied before arriving in Toast. If it isn't working that way I'll try checking it on my system tomorrow.

CD spin doctor will not send seperate tracks to toast or itunes, it all comes out as whole recorded track. The tracks being sent transfer as the titled tracks but are all the same entire recording I made. I have snow leapard with all the regular updates. do you think mac changed something? Everything was working fine a month ago.

a month ago.

I'm having the exact same issue. I've tried to reinstall Toast 10 from the disc, but that didn't work. I tried to update the software via the update to 10.0.8 and that didn't work. Restarting the machine doesn't work. No amount of reinstalling the software seems to help. I think it has something to do with the new updates Apple created for updating the machine from Snow Leopard to Lion. I'm still running Snow Leopard, but with all of the latest updates for OS10 & iTunes.

When I go to iTunes, the two tracks that I created are there, at least by name as those are different as well as the time of both tracks. But upon playback it's the same song. I've tried saving in different formats, with the filters and without; the problem seems to be with Apple and iTunes or Snow Leopard or both. When I save to Toast the tracks show up fine, but without the filters applied which is to be expected.

What a drag - I really don't want to be forced to upgrade to 11 because of some simple glitch.

I'm having the exact same issue. I've tried to reinstall Toast 10 from the disc, but that didn't work. I tried to update the software via the update to 10.0.8 and that didn't work. Restarting the machine doesn't work. No amount of reinstalling the software seems to help. I think it has something to do with the new updates Apple created for updating the machine from Snow Leopard to Lion. I'm still running Snow Leopard, but with all of the latest updates for OS10 & iTunes.

When I go to iTunes, the two tracks that I created are there, at least by name as those are different as well as the time of both tracks. But upon playback it's the same song. I've tried saving in different formats, with the filters and without; the problem seems to be with Apple and iTunes or Snow Leopard or both. When I save to Toast the tracks show up fine, but without the filters applied which is to be expected.

What a drag - I really don't want to be forced to upgrade to 11 because of some simple glitch.

Check to see if this works (it did for me with a test file): In Spin Doctor click the Toast icon to send to Toast. The tracks end up in the Audio CD window. They each showed up as marked in CD Spin Doctor. If this is the case on your Mac, choose Save as Disc Image. Then choose Audio Files as the format in the Toast Convert window and drag in the .sd2f file. You now can export the tracks to iTunes.

It does work, but it loses all the title and name information that Spin Doctor finds. If iTunes can identify the tracks, then that is not a problem. But Spin Doctor is much better at identifying tracks so it is a shame to lose it.

I was hoping I could use Toast to extract or save the individual tracks as separate names files, but I have not figured that out, nor do I know if it would save all the track identification information.

So far, I am finding Spin Doctor to be the buggiest software I have ever encountered. It randomly crashes, most of the time I cannot record streams through the computer and when it outputs a list of tracks to iTunes, the music is always the first one (even though the other tracks are identified properly).

Archived