Dr. Pepper 6044

Disc Copy To A DL Disc With Creator 2011

Question

Error code or issue: Write error - image attached

post-97696-074251100 1312772325.png

What kind of project were you working on: Disk Copy of a video disk of 6.5 gig

post-97696-008966300 1312773168.pngto a DVD+R DL

What kinds of files were you using and where did you get them? Video files from DVD

Did you complete your project or did it stop at a certain point in the process? I successfully copied many from this and other dl disks, then they began giving this error at the 57% point in the copy process.

Have you ever successfully completed the task that you are contacting us about? Many times, but now it stops every time.

Did you make any changes to your computer recently? (new applications, updates, etc) If so, what? I added Registry Mechanic. I have had successful copies since the install

Operating System (including service packs):Win7 Sp1

Make:HP

Model: Don't know

Video card NVIDIA GeForce GT430

Processor speed:2.33 GHz

RAM:4G

Free hard drive space:32G

I last did an operating system update on:8 months ago

I have confirmed the latest drivers for my drives. I updated my PX engine.I installed SP1 for Creator 2011. I downloaded 'clean uninstall' instructions. These are not accurate for Win7, but I was able to do it. I re-installed Creator 2011 (twice).

The problem started slowly while using TDK DVD+R DL disks. I sent them back and ordered Verbatim at more than double the cost. Same result.

I have many Roxio support tickets - currently 1288231. It says to don't worry, they will help me to fix it. This has been going on too long.

In reading other threads on here,I have seen suggestions that the antivirus be disabled, but I didn't see at what point in the process to disable it and to re enable. I am using Norton Internet Security 2011.

Please. Any suggestions?

Edited by Dr. Pepper 6044

Firmware is the software on your burner and has nothing to do with drivers software. Personally, I would not do any update of the burner firmware if the burner has been working properly.

I would think that that "nero 9 essentials" is an OEM version which means it will propably have some features missing or crippled. I would not install it. It is just a teaser to get you to purchase the full reatail package. Other burner manufacturers offer an OEM version with their product. It is usually best to not install these crippled programs.

Thanks Walt,

I figured as much about the teaser software. Then, how do I get the drivers installed for the new dvd drive? Maybe the update process will do it, or Win7 will recognize it and do it.

On the firmware issue, I would rather not bother with it either. Those guys don't know any more than just to grab sor straws sending me around the barn.

Thanks agian, Bill

You don't need drivers for a drive - Windows automatically recognises it.

Firmware upgrades are only to get the drive to recognise the media if it's not a standard version

Hello,

The last answers encouraged me to leave the dvd drive firmware and drivers alone since they have always worked in the past.

I'm going to reasses the option of a new hdd, new computer, or format and reinstall Win7 on this hdd.

To do a task I promised the invalid veteran in the local VA, I captured some video from the telephone company supplied set top box.

Roxio worked fine for 5 hours of video capture. I thought I'd try to edit out some commercials. Ran into a lot of frustration. Just guessed I needed some instruction so browsed the 'How-to' and Usability line. While there I didn't see anything about editing out pieces of a video clip, but did see one that suggested clicking on 'Browse and Manage Media'. I did that and got the aforementioned QTCF.dll missing system error.

I plan to initiate a question in the How to and Usabiltiy forum.

Just wanted to indicate here the persistance of the QT error.

Thanks, Bill

29 Posts and we just now find out WHY??? :lol::D:lol:

You will never get 5 hours of video on a DVD, even with Commercials removed!!!

To maintain video Quality, never exceed 1 hour @ HQ for a 4.7 GB disc or about 2 hours on a 8.5 GB disc!

(1.) The very first step is to split it and output it into editable chunks of 1 or 2 hour lengths.

(2.) Then edit these
manageable chunks
to remove commercial content.

(3.) Lastly, burn these projects onto disc.

Steps 1 & 2 are done with VideoWave (Edit Video-Advanced), whereas burning will be done with MyDVD (Create DVDs).

I’ll use 1 hour chunks for this example… Load the 5 hour segment into VideoWave.

In Timeline find the 1 hour mark. Look around there to find the end of the first hour and Split it!

Do a Save As, naming it “Hour 5”.

Then click on the remaining segment, right of split, and Delete it!

Do a Save As, only name it “Hour 1”.

Load Hour 5, click the segment left of the split and delete it. Only 4 hours now remain... Now look at the 1 hour Timeline mark and split it at the end of the first hour.

Save Hour 5, then delete the segment to the right of the split and Save As, “Hour 2”…

Load Hour 5 and continue the same way until only Hour 5 is left!

Then load each segment and follow matatekid’s example of how to zap commercials: HERE

Do a Save at the end of each after commercials are removed…

Lastly, close VideoWave and open MyDVD. Now just add the individual VideoWave Projects, Hour 1, Hour 2, etc. one at a time and Burn.

Again, keep one VW Project to a DVD! I know that after zapping commercials you will only have about 45 minutes of video, but trying to put 2 on (1 ½ Hr) will exceed the 1 Hour rule…

If you really juggle and tinker you can fit it all on to 4 discs! Or do it with 5 discs without pulling your hair out ;)

Doing it this way is about as easy as it gets, still a lot of work, AND your original recording is Never Touched :huh: So if you make a mistake somewhere, you can load that Original back in and correct your mistake ;)

First time through, it would not hurt to write an outline of the steps and check them off as you go!

29 Posts and we just now find out WHY??? :lol::D:lol:

You will never get 5 hours of video on a DVD, even with Commercials removed!!!

To maintain video Quality, never exceed 1 hour @ HQ for a 4.7 GB disc or about 2 hours on a 8.5 GB disc!

(1.) The very first step is to split it and output it into editable chunks of 1 or 2 hour lengths.

(2.) Then edit these
manageable chunks
to remove commercial content.

(3.) Lastly, burn these projects onto disc.

Steps 1 & 2 are done with VideoWave (Edit Video-Advanced), whereas burning will be done with MyDVD (Create DVDs).

I’ll use 1 hour chunks for this example… Load the 5 hour segment into VideoWave.

In Timeline find the 1 hour mark. Look around there to find the end of the first hour and Split it!

Do a Save As, naming it “Hour 5”.

Then click on the remaining segment, right of split, and Delete it!

Do a Save As, only name it “Hour 1”.

Load Hour 5, click the segment left of the split and delete it. Only 4 hours now remain... Now look at the 1 hour Timeline mark and split it at the end of the first hour.

Save Hour 5, then delete the segment to the right of the split and Save As, “Hour 2”…

Load Hour 5 and continue the same way until only Hour 5 is left!

Then load each segment and follow matatekid’s example of how to zap commercials: HERE

Do a Save at the end of each after commercials are removed…

Lastly, close VideoWave and open MyDVD. Now just add the individual VideoWave Projects, Hour 1, Hour 2, etc. one at a time and Burn.

Again, keep one VW Project to a DVD! I know that after zapping commercials you will only have about 45 minutes of video, but trying to put 2 on (1 ½ Hr) will exceed the 1 Hour rule…

If you really juggle and tinker you can fit it all on to 4 discs! Or do it with 5 discs without pulling your hair out ;)

Doing it this way is about as easy as it gets, still a lot of work, AND your original recording is Never Touched :huh: So if you make a mistake somewhere, you can load that Original back in and correct your mistake ;)

First time through, it would not hurt to write an outline of the steps and check them off as you go!

Thanks, Jim.

I'm so sorry I didn't say that the 5 hours were captured in 1 hour chunks, except for 1 which was a 2 hour episode. The mode of transfer of video material to the veteran is on 16g jump drives. He views them on a 12 inch over the bed monitor where the 352x480 resolution is not pretty, but adequate. I took them to him on one drive today.

I certainly agree that any high quality I want on a dvd should be limited to 1 hour per 4.7g and 2 hours or less on a dl.

I will print your directions for segmenting a large file into smaller ones. I had that process in mind to assign the commercial periods segment names and just delete them. I'll review matatekid's directions.

Do you have an idea about the QTCF.dll error? It usually goes away after 4 'ok's.

The learning the software will carry over to a new Win7 install/new hdd, but the QTCF probably will be cured.

Thanks again,, Bill

Hi,

I've been working on my computer for days now. New WD 1000 hdd is in and worked fine to load Win7 on it. Loaded Roxio without Norton. All seems to run fine except for DataBurnDisc wasted me a couple discs. Copy and Convert gave me 2 successful burns. The Roxio support ticket is still pushing me to update firmware. The HP forum gave me the rout to find the updated firmware for HP dvd drives. Mine is not on the list. They say that means there is no update for that drive. duhhh.. It is brand new. It works fine to write cd, single layer dvd, etc. It loaded Win7 ok.

I got a BSOD Black Screen of Death when I came home tonight. It now won't even boot from the Win7 install dvd.

What gives!!

Overall until the compuer crashed, I was quite happy with the new hdd and software installs. And to use Copy and Convert, Roxio worked fine. I am anxious to learn some more of it. Just concerned that they will stop supporting 2011 and force me to buy 2012. I guess a hundred dollars each year keeps me connected.

Thanks for listening. I'll gladly read any suggestions.

:-) Bill

Ther Blue Screen of Death problems sounds more hardware related - if it won't boot from w W7 disc, then there's something seriously wrong - CPU, Memory, drive - it's hard to be certain but it's definitely not software.

HP 'updates' - let me tell you a story. I had one of the very early 2x CD-RW drives waaaay back from HP. When I asked about the higher capacity discs that were coming out (700 MB) and was there a firmware upgrade to handle it. I got a very snotty answer to the effect that 'HP does not make 700 MB media so we won't be supporting it'

Anyway, I had to actually open the drive at one point to clear something one of the kids had shoved inside and, lo and behold, there were all these 'Philips' markings on the chips and PCB, including the model number - the 'HP' drive was just a re-branded Philips one and Philips DID have a firmware upgrade.

Hello again,

I'm on my wife's laptop since I cannot log in with my desktop. This is Win7 64 also. I would love to log on with that computer. The official Roxio ticket has no response. They think I am just a trouble maker.

My desktop restarted the next morning after a 'failed system restore' message the late night before. It has been working flawlessly since. It has done DL Copy and Convert. I am quite sure my new dvd burner is fine. I like my new install of virgin hdd and new install of my origional Creator 2011.

I've exchanged many forum messages with Big_Dave at HP support forum. He recommends you folks very highly.

I feel I want to stick with Roxio. Jim gave a good primer on editing video. I haven't done that yet, but want to use it.

I downloaded a CNN documentary on heart disease in .flv. (Is it possible to download from sites like CNN in HTML5?) Roxio converted it and burned it to a dvd just fine. I wanted another copy, so asked it to also save an .ISO file. That file uses about 5 times as much file space. (I saved it in highest quality). The save in .iso took a looooong time. Now, the dvd burn is also taking a very long time. I could have burned 3 more copies by now.

When I converted the file from .flv to 'dvd', I have no idea where it saved it, if it did at all. It did then go ahead and burn a dvd.

Bottom line questioin: What did saving an ISO file do for me except take a lot more time?

Since I am ok with DL burning, maybe I should take my 'Learn Roxio Functions' questions to another thread on here. What do you say?

Thanks again. This has been very helpful.

Bill

A .flv (or .avi. mpeg4, etc) is a compressed file and when you go to convert that to play on a 'standard' DVD player, it gets uncompressed.

Think of the difference between a .mp3 and a CD - while you can pack a hundred or so mp3s on a CD, you only get about 20 tracks when you expand them ;)

Hello,

I just got an e-mail from the roxio support ticket:

To fix this issue, I suggest you to follow the steps given below.

1. Right-click on the setup package and choose Properties.

2. Click on the Compatibility tab in the Properties window.

3. In the Compatibility mode section, uncheck the box that is labeled Run the program in compatibility mode for Windows Vista.

Note: If the check box is grayed out, you can make it available by clicking 'Make changes for all users' at the bottom of the properties window.

4. Click OK to save the changes.

5. Re-run Creator 2011 the setup package.

I right clicked on the 'setup' application on the program disc for Creator 2011. I found that the compatability mode was not checked. Am I right to assume that my previous installs have been done NOT in compatability mode? If so, then this 'fix' is unwarranted. What do you think?

Bill.

P. S. I am still wanting to file my dvd movies on the hdd in a format I can either burn to a copy dvd, or just to play on the computer. And the question above remains: What can I do with an .ISO file on my hdd?

Thanks, Bill

P. S. I am still wanting to file my dvd movies on the hdd in a format I can either burn to a copy dvd, or just to play on the computer. And the question above remains: What can I do with an .ISO file on my hdd?

Apart from being a handy way to store DVDs on your HD, you can PLAY them using the VLC video player [free] available from Videolan.org, HERE.

Quite apart from being free, it's a very versatile video and audio player.

Sarge

Thanks, Sarge.

I have viewed FLV player before. Yes, it is simple and versatile.

I converted a dvd file in Roxio Creator 2011 and saved as .ISO on my hdd. Then I tried to play it in FLV. I'll attach a screenshot. It just sits there with a 'loading.....ISO'. It does play realplayerdownloaded .flv videos.

In the past, I have used Copy and Convert to save a dvd video in 'video' output. I was able to designate a folder location on my hdd and then play it in Windows Media Player. But, with this newest install, the Copy and Convert doesn't allow me to designate a file location. It just goes ahead and after a while it goes away and I have no way of finding the file on the drive. Even a 'search' of the drive doesn't find it.

I tried one last night, converting a 1:23 file and another 0:20 from dvd to hdd. It seemed to process and after about 25 minutes, it stopped. I searched for the file name and found it as a vcpf file of 8k. What can I do with that?? I tried it again while typing this and again, it didn't even give me a chance to designate an output location, nor file type.

Please... I just want to convert a dvd video program to a viewable/burnable format on my hdd. Is't Creator2011 capable?

Thanks.

Bill

post-97696-068854500 1315317005.png

Thanks, Sarge.

I have viewed FLV player before. Yes, it is simple and versatile.

I converted a dvd file in Roxio Creator 2011 and saved as .ISO on my hdd. Then I tried to play it in FLV. I'll attach a screenshot. It just sits there with a 'loading.....ISO'. It does play realplayerdownloaded .flv videos.

In the past, I have used Copy and Convert to save a dvd video in 'video' output. I was able to designate a folder location on my hdd and then play it in Windows Media Player. But, with this newest install, the Copy and Convert doesn't allow me to designate a file location. It just goes ahead and after a while it goes away and I have no way of finding the file on the drive. Even a 'search' of the drive doesn't find it.

I tried one last night, converting a 1:23 file and another 0:20 from dvd to hdd. It seemed to process and after about 25 minutes, it stopped. I searched for the file name and found it as a vcpf file of 8k. What can I do with that?? I tried it again while typing this and again, it didn't even give me a chance to designate an output location, nor file type.

Please... I just want to convert a dvd video program to a viewable/burnable format on my hdd. Is't Creator2011 capable?

Thanks.

Bill

A “vcpf” extension is a Roxio Video Copy and Convert Project file!

The only thing you can do is open it in VCC, by double clicking it which will open VCC.

The fact that you are still using VCC, indicate you are continuing down the same path and that has not worked so far.

We have tested and explained that you cannot use VCC with a DL disc. And we gave you a 100% foolproof alternative which you are not using. :(

However, VCC still has some functions that work well, such as conversions which I use to put things on my Cruz tablet.

VCC ALWAYS allows you to designate a location to place the Converted or Copied video…

post-39730-039063700 1315350698.jpg

I think you meant you were trying to Import a 1:23 as well as 0:20 Movie from a DVD???

If it failed it was most likely your Source! :huh: DVD Movies will often play but not import. Tell us were these 2 came from. :glare:

Often if they fail in VCC you can import them succefly into VideoWave ;)

Yes Roxio can do everything you have asked of it, but you have to do it the Roxio Way which is not always the way you might think it works ;)

Hello Jim,

I read with interest every critricism you wrote above. It is usual for you to support a program that works well for you on your maching and with your extensive experience.

I'll respond to only 2 issues here:

1. VCC may ALWAYS work as expected on some machines, but did not on mine. Mine what was installed on a new virgin hdd. VCC immediately started the convert process when I clicked on 'ok' without giving me the option to designate a destination location. I didn't save the screen screen, or I would display it here. 'http://img.roxio.com/enu/pdf/creator2010/copy-dvd-video.pdf' instructs me to use Copy and Convert Video to duplicate a dvd disc.

2. I attempted to extract audio from a dvd music recording to mp3 files. I went to: 'http://img.roxio.com/enu/pdf/creator2010/extract-audio-from-dvd.pdf'. I followed the instructions exactly, the Roxio way. I got to the 'save' command and got the progress window at 0%, them almost immediately got a 'read error' message. I snipped the screen shot.

I realize I'm from the old school where you just plowed into anything assuming the instructions are a waste of time. I'm learning that doesn't work in a complex program like this. I am trying one process at a time to start from the beginning with the Roxio Way! The above instance indicates that it just isn't that simple.

For someone to state that a certain process ALWAYS works is pretty strong.

Again, I have a brand new dvd burner. I have a brand new virgin hdd. I installed Roxio Creator 2011 on that hdd. I'm really trying.. :-(

Thanks, Bill

post-97696-022223300 1315514677.png

Edited by Dr. Pepper 6044

It is a Give and Take :)

I did not know of the DL problem until you got me interested enough to waste a couple of discs :lol: (these were my Verbatim LightScribe discs too :o )

Not quite sure what you are showing me in the screen cap???

That is Music Disc Creator which we have never talked about :o

You are trying to import a 3:08 movie from a DVD RW

What is the source of that RW?

Often that would be from a DVD RW Recorder (stand alone or camcorder) and that introduces other problems.

If that were the case they may either be a VR Disc and/or not Finalized???

Hence the questions about the source of these disc. ;)

This is a disc recorded on a regular dvd recorder from FTA satellite programming. It was finalized and now plays on computers and on other dvd players. It has 20 video files filling approximately 90 minutes of programming.

Right!

Is it a 'Plus' or a 'Dash' RW?

Look at it in Explorer, is there a VR folder or any folder with VR in the name?

In place of Music Disc Creator, try it with VideoWave ;)

This is a disc recorded on a regular dvd recorder from FTA satellite programming. It was finalized and now plays on computers and on other dvd players. It has 20 video files filling approximately 90 minutes of programming.

Since I got a dead end on the 'Capture audio form DVD', I am now allowing it to run in WMP, and capturing the audio in real time with Roxio Easy Audio Capture.

Incidently, I am becoming quite successful with Roxio Video caputre. Doing this in real time is 'REAL TIME' consuming. The processes of digitally converting these files are very attractive.

I am also quite comfortable with duplicating DL disks on my new hdd, new Creator install, and new dvd burner in VCC.

:lol::D:lol:

but how about the disc info?

Where I am going is problems I have had with set top recorders. VR's are trouble!

DVD-RW's can be trouble too...

I found the best to use was DVD+RW's. I am pretty sure they can't be made to VR discs yet I sware my Panasonic would... I know my Sony would not.

And as I recall (2007) I could only import a DVD-RW from the Panasonic IF I copyed it over to the HDD :huh:

Been a while!

Since I got a dead end on the 'Capture audio form DVD', I am now allowing it to run in WMP, and capturing the audio in real time with Roxio Easy Audio Capture.

Incidently, I am becoming quite successful with Roxio Video caputre. Doing this in real time is 'REAL TIME' consuming. The processes of digitally converting these files are very attractive.

I am also quite comfortable with duplicating DL disks on my new hdd, new Creator install, and new dvd burner in VCC.

This disc is a Sony DVD-R 4.7. There is nothing in the VIDEO_TS folder with any 'VR' in the file name.

I bought some DVD-RW's many years ago for the convenience of re-recording. It was not practical and the rest of them are sitting around.

I'm fine to try mp3 file extraction from DVD in Video Wave, except the Roxio directions say to use Easy Audio Capture.

I don't see anything in VideoWave right off that would indicate audio extraction.

Re: The image clip I posted:

That showes the line as directed by the Roxio help menu to extract audio from DVD. In reviewing it, I found you can either select the file(as per the instructions), or the chapter. I tried it by 'chapter' in a commercial disc. It worked. Chapter choice in the disc of interest doesn't work though. The 'read error' is what I get when I click on 'save'.