• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Aspect Ratio Encoding

smarandr

Question

My video camera takes footage in 16:9 format. I can watch it on my computer in 16:9. In Video Wave it appears as 16:9 while I edit it, and all through the My DVD process it appears as 16:9. However when the video encodes during the buring process it encodes and burns in 4:3. Is there any way to fix this problem?

24 answers to this question

Your missing Reality...

If it is a 16:9 Project AND you have 16:9 Source, it encoded 16:9 and you can't do it any other way!!! :o

Examine it in VW. Right click the clip and choose Aspect Ratio:

post-39730-099672000 1312901798.jpg

Then play with toggles and see what you get:

post-39730-052560700 1312901804.jpg

VideoWave only does what it is directed to do, cannot change your settings ;)

It is a 16:9 project. It's only the video itself that gets encoded 4:3. Things like a text overlay (I put the date of the footage onscreen for a few seconds) stay 16:9 because it takes up space in the black sidebars.

What option setting do you use in myDVD? are you using "Show entire source" or "Fill Screen"?

Your missing Reality...If it is a 16:9 Project AND you have 16:9 Source, it encoded 16:9 and you can't do it any other way!!! :o Examine it in VW. Right click the clip and choose Aspect Ratio:

post-39730-099672000 1312901798.jpg

Then play with toggles and see what you get:

post-39730-052560700 1312901804.jpg

VideoWave only does what it is directed to do, cannot change your settings ;)

Thanks for that tip. On my old XP & Roxio 2009 system I had to us a program called SDcopy to get the computer to see my 16:9 camcorder footage as 16:9 instead of 4:3. On my new Windows 7 & Roxio 2011 system that process looked to be unnecessary until I was actually able to see the source by using the method you described. So even though it appeared as 16:9 on my screen Roxio still thought it was 4:3.

I'll run it through SDcopy and try again.

So it still doesn't work. I've attached some screen caps to show exactly what I've done:

First, you can see that the source and the project in VW are both 16:9. I've tried both fill screen and use whole source and it doesn't make any difference.post-54519-043536300 1312932567.jpg

Next, in the My DVD Program I've shown what the project settings are, but I don't think they are relevantpost-54519-037606400 1312932541.jpg

Next, you can see that in the project preview it shows a squished version of 16:9. Before I tried SDcopy it took up the whole 16:9 screen without being squished.post-54519-070859100 1312932552.jpg

Finally, you can see during the burn process that the program is encoding the movie to burn onto the disc in 4:3.post-54519-024079300 1312932529.jpg

What the heck am I/the program doing wrong?

So it still doesn't work. I've attached some screen caps to show exactly what I've done:

First, you can see that the source and the project in VW are both 16:9. I've tried both fill screen and use whole source and it doesn't make any difference.post-54519-043536300 1312932567.jpg

Next, in the My DVD Program I've shown what the project settings are, but I don't think they are relevantpost-54519-037606400 1312932541.jpg

Next, you can see that in the project preview it shows a squished version of 16:9. Before I tried SDcopy it took up the whole 16:9 screen without being squished.post-54519-070859100 1312932552.jpg

Finally, you can see during the burn process that the program is encoding the movie to burn onto the disc in 4:3.post-54519-024079300 1312932529.jpg

What the heck am I/the program doing wrong?

Could you upload a short 10-15 sec clip from your camcorder to a site such as Up4Down.com so that we can download it and try to duplicate your problem?

That uploaded file is 4:3. I thought you said you were using 16:9 source material?

Hmm, interesting. I think we're narrowing in on the problem. The camcorder does shoot in 16:9--you're just going to have to trust me on that. When I download it to my computer I can also view it in 16:9. However the clip I uploaded hadn't been run through SDcopy (which causes my 16:9 to be squished down into letterboxes when I view it on the computer, but lets Roxio see it as 16:9)

When I'm home for lunch I'll upload the clip after it's been run through SDcopy.

Also, I tried doing a movie with the Windows 7 software (live moviemaker & DVD), and didn't have any problems. In fact I didn't even have to run the footage through SDcopy first. Plus I downloaded a free trial of Cyberlink Powerdirector and had the same problem that Roxio is giving me, but at least in Powerdirector the footage showed as 4:3 through the entire process.

If your camera shoots 16.9 upload that why run it through SDcopy?

What modification is SDcopy doing to your 16.9 source file?

Good question. Here's a thread from a couple of years ago that starts to explain: http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/46327-aspect-ratio-problems/page__p__251193__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=251193

Now I've changed computer systems, and the problem doesn't seem to exist anymore until I start using the footage in VideoWave/My DVD

Your camcorder does not shoot is true 16:9 but rather uses a trick imposing a 16:9 image on a 4:3 matrix...

You can see it in VW. A true 16:9 will not have black bars at the top and bottom ;)

I don't have time right now, but I suspect you will have to place it as an overlay and strech it out to fit... <_<

Hmm, interesting. I think we're narrowing in on the problem. The camcorder does shoot in 16:9--you're just going to have to trust me on that. When I download it to my computer I can also view it in 16:9. However the clip I uploaded hadn't been run through SDcopy (which causes my 16:9 to be squished down into letterboxes when I view it on the computer, but lets Roxio see it as 16:9)

When I'm home for lunch I'll upload the clip after it's been run through SDcopy.

Also, I tried doing a movie with the Windows 7 software (live moviemaker & DVD), and didn't have any problems. In fact I didn't even have to run the footage through SDcopy first. Plus I downloaded a free trial of Cyberlink Powerdirector and had the same problem that Roxio is giving me, but at least in Powerdirector the footage showed as 4:3 through the entire process.

The camcorder may shoot in 16:9 (although as Jim explains it is not "true" 16:9) but the clip you uploaded is 4:3 and standard mpeg2. Is it direct from the camcorder?

That means you did not shoot in 16:9

I hate to beat a dead horse here, but yes, the footage was filmed in 16:9. Whether that means true 16:9, or some kind of trick as Jim suggests I can't say. What I can say for sure is that I can plug the camera into my tv and watch it as 16:9, I can download it to my computer and watch it in 16:9 on Picasa and Windows Media Player, and I can even watch it on my camera as 16:9. Please trust me on this fact, the footage on the camera is 16:9. I know there is no offense meant, and please don't take any from this post, but I'm not so stupid to go through all of this and then go "duh, I was really filming in 4:3."

It's only when viewed in certain applications that the full 16:9 frame gets squished into a 4:3 frame. So far those seem to be Roxio VideoWave, up4down.com, and I've just discovered youtube as well.

Jim's post is what is intriguing me right now; a 16:9 shot over a 4:3 matrix. I have no idea what that means, but I suspect that's what's going on.

I hate to beat a dead horse here, but yes, the footage was filmed in 16:9. Whether that means true 16:9, or some kind of trick as Jim suggests I can't say. What I can say for sure is that I can plug the camera into my tv and watch it as 16:9, I can download it to my computer and watch it in 16:9 on Picasa and Windows Media Player, and I can even watch it on my camera as 16:9. Please trust me on this fact, the footage on the camera is 16:9. I know there is no offense meant, and please don't take any from this post, but I'm not so stupid to go through all of this and then go "duh, I was really filming in 4:3."

It's only when viewed in certain applications that the full 16:9 frame gets squished into a 4:3 frame. So far those seem to be Roxio VideoWave, up4down.com, and I've just discovered youtube as well.

Jim's post is what is intriguing me right now; a 16:9 shot over a 4:3 matrix. I have no idea what that means, but I suspect that's what's going on.

That pretty well nails it! ;)

If I add your clip to a VW 16:9 Project, I get bars top and bottom!

post-39730-076724600 1312998403.jpg

If I check the Aspect Ratio, I see the source is 4:3:

post-39730-005394200 1312998408.jpg

If I add a Color Panel and place the clip as an overlay it seems to come out OK:

post-39730-029319800 1312998413.jpg

BUT I suspect it is getting cropped on the sides??? <_<

Hard to tell with that clip but you can try it and use something with sides you can determine...

In these notice how the building and rocks at the bottom disappear:

post-39730-012815400 1312998752.jpg

post-39730-010448500 1312998753.jpg

(of course mine is a 4:3 full frame going to a 16:9 project, so the top and bottom are effected)

By the way, where did you record the Blue Angles??? LOVE to watch them perform!

Sorry, but that video you uploaded is in 4:3 aspect ratio. You either recorded in that format or somehow converted it. According to your post you recorded it last year so maybe ....

No 16:9 video I have gets "squished" into a 4:3 frame unless I deliberately do it.

Perhaps if you record a clip in 16:9 now and upload it, we can test it.

Sorry, but that video you uploaded is in 4:3 aspect ratio. You either recorded in that format or somehow converted it. According to your post you recorded it last year so maybe ....

No 16:9 video I have gets "squished" into a 4:3 frame unless I deliberately do it.

OK lets say for the sake of argument that I converted it to 4:3. How can I convert it to 16:9 by stretching it and not simply cropping a 16:9 image of the original 4:3 footage?

I'll get some new footage to upload here in a couple of hours.

Here's the latest greatest footage. My linkhttp://www.upfordown.com/pupload/view/54689

Archived