jojoand

Are Bad Reviews Accurate

Question

While researching the newest version of Creator, I noticed the reviews on Amazon were almost totally negative, with most saying they couldn't even get it to run. Have there been any recent updates which have corrected some of these problems? I am using Creator 2009 on Windows 7 (and yes, for the most part it is working, though I don't use all of its modules). I'm wondering if I would have even more problems with the newer version meant to run on Win7 than I do with the 2009 version. I usually end up buying a new version closer to the end of the year when it is more affordable and has many of the initial problems corrected.

7 answers to this question

C2009 is not compatible with Windows 7 and you know it, yet you complain about problems with it?

Reviews are reviews. Most folks don't come here and post how good the software works for them. If they have a problem with the software you will probably hear from them.

A lot of the 'problems' are really down to people not following on-screen instructions. When an app says to 'shut down any running programs' it means EXACTLY that and that INCLUDES the anti-virus.

Others run registry cleaners (which mess up the registry by 'cleaning' necessary files), others may have a hiccup during install and Windows has a very nasty habit of switching a failed install to 'Vista Compatability Mode' - which is Vista with no Service Pack - then up pops an 'incompatability' error.

Problems also arise if the version of Windows is an 'upgrade' to an existing OS and not a fresh install on a formatted drive. Also complete removal of Creator 2009 and earlier is highly recommended

The list goes on - but basically, installation on a clean OS and folowing the instructions usually works. In the event of strange occurrences, there's always someone on this forum 24/7 (from Ireland to New Zealand)

Yep - the bad reviews are accurate.

I had ECDC 5 Platinum on WXP SP3 and it worked fine for years. I built a new computer and installed WXP SP3 and tried to reinstall ECDC 5 Platinum. It wouldn't work right nor recognize my new disc drives. OK, so I decided to purchase and install Roxio Creator 2011 Special Edition (I thought that I'd better get all of that right, since one tech decided to make fun of a reviewer by saying 'that there is no such thing as Creator 11'). I have had several problems with the software as a whole and I emailed Roxio on 2/20/2011 with the following:

Main Roxio 2011 Special Edition, Rip application…

If the inserted CD comes up with a choice of matches from CDDB, and I select the correct match, then it chooses some other title on the list of matches. If there is only one choice on the match list and I choose that, then it assigns the titles of “Unknown Artist”, Unkown Album” and “Track 1, 2, 3,…” etc. These happen every time.

I don’t like the fact that if I need to make a correction to a mis-spelled title that I cannot do that while in the Rip application. I have to wait until the title(s) has/have been converted and then go into Windows Explorer and make the changes there.

There seems to not be a test function for the CD drives as there was in ECDC 5 Platinum to test their capabilities. As a result, the drives sometimes run at a decent – but not maximum – speed, and other times they just meandor along at little more than 1x. Never does your software take advantage of the maximum capabilities my computer has to offer. Checking system performance during a ripping operation I see that your software is putzing along at 5 to maybe 12% CPU usage (and utilizing just one processor) and maybe 450MB of RAM. This is on a computer with an Intel i7 860 @ 2.8Ghz CPU with four cores plus four virtual cores. This is also a computer with 3GB of RAM available. UDMA 5 is set for all drives. I am using WXP SP3.

The name of “Rip” seems to insinuate speed, but this is far from the case. Your software is little better than the mp3 conversion using Windows Media Player.

Roxio Mutiple Audio CD Ripper…

Settings for File Format & Filename/Folder Structure…

When I try to select from the pulldown lists, the lists flicker quickly and go away, not allowing me to even make a choice. After it converts the CD it creates yet another folder with the artist’s name and puts it in there. This when I already have the artist’s folder created with another album in it. And so, once again, I have to go into Windows Explorer and manually move stuff around. Sure am glad that I spent the money on this professional software of yours.

So, these are my problems so far. You do not inspire much confidence that it will work correctly when I eventually try to video capture some home movies onto this computer via the USB adapter that came with this “Special Edition”.

I have never received a response, let alone an answer as to how to make the shite work right.

Now I am having a problem with the included Roxio CinePlayer, v 5.6.C07, Build 561B73A. It is playing a DVD just fine, but then I need to pause it for five minutes (or whatever). When I come back and resume, it plays the video but the sound is no more. I have to close CinePlayer and reopen it to get the sound back.

Yep - the bad reviews are accurate.

Methinks that your computer needs a review. The types of issues you are experiencing are more likely hardware and not software. (Of course you won't believe that.)

Are you having any issues with other complex software ?

Did you submit a ticket with questions or just rants? Did you look in your spam file for the Roxio responses?

Post your ticket number and perhaps somneone from Roxio will look at it to see what the issue is.

Edited by sknis

I don't know where you got the idea that 'rip' has anything to do with speed in relation to audio extraction.

From Wikipedia: "Ripping is the process of copying audio or video content to a hard disk, typically from removable media. The word is used to refer to all forms of media. Despite the name, neither the media nor the data is damaged after extraction."

3GB of RAM is very small really for any serious editing work and that could be the root of your problem. It's fine having a quad core CPU but if you have to work with swapping in and out of the pagefile, it will suffer

I have indeed submitted a ticket for the CinePlayer problem. You know what these geniuses recommended? Download and install a patch for CinePlayer version 3. Not surprisingly it gave an error message that it could not do this because of the difference in versions. Secondly, they suggested checking all of my driver versions, etc. OK, I did all that and they are all already up-to-date. And why is it that all of the other media players on this computer play just fine? They requested, and I sent them, a text file of my DXDiag tests - all of which passed. After that they didn't mention anything in the DXDiag file. I will not post a ticket number here. If they haven't solved it via the ticket number then why are they going to solve the problems here? I don't have any spam files/folders, so all of my email gets through. And to repeat myself, I have already been back-and-forth with Tech Support. I'm tired of talking about it.

I love the "complex software" comment. How about that this computer has had no problems editing and/or processing a sound file in Sound Forge, you know, with 7 or 8 other sound files open - ever heard of Sound Forge?

I have tried running this computer with a Windows-managed page file, a fixed page file of 3Gb (in the old days a fixed page file of 2 to 2.5 times the installed RAM was recommended, but I feel that with such large amounts of installed RAM these days that that rule-of-thumb doesn't really apply anymore). And finaly I have run the computer with no page file. In all cases I have seen no difference in performance. So, to save SSD space I run without any page file.

I emailed them about the other problems with the pull-down lists, etc. I somehow fail to see how anything with my hardware would cause Roxio to choose the wrong item on the list. 'Maybe I don't have enough RAM, or my page file is too small.'

As far as the term 'rip' goes, if it doesn't insinuate speed then why use it? Have you never heard of CD drives 'ripping audio at 40x?' Why don't they just say 'extracts audio at 40x?' As far as the definition that you've found, who said anything about it damaging the media or the data? Grasping at straws and getting into semantics instead of offering any real solutions.

And lastly, I'm willing to admit to hardware problems if somebody at Roxio would give me some suggestions that were worth a -. If they found a solution to my issues - hardware or not - I would gladly thank them. I'll always give credit, but also blame, where it's due.

So 'round and 'round we go.

Methinks that your computer needs a review. The types of issues you are experiencing are more likely hardware and not software. (Of course you won't believe that.)

Are you having any issues with other complex software ?

Did you submit a ticket with questions or just rants? Did you look in your spam file for the Roxio responses?

Post your ticket number and perhaps somneone from Roxio will look at it to see what the issue is.

'They' don't do anything here - this is a users' forum and unless someone has a 'Roxio' tag on their name, no-oneis employed by Roxio

I will repeat - the definition of 'ripping' in this instance is extracting files from a disc or elsewhere and is NOTHING to do with speed. There are also 'ripping yarns', 'ripping along', etc which aren't the same thing in either case

40x CD Drives don't rip audio - they simply rotate at 40 times the playback speed of an audio CD player. Now if you want an audio file that plays at 40x speed, then by all means, do that