kenh

Has Tivo Support Improved In Toast 11?

Question

Hi, I'm a user of Toast 10 right now, and I've been thinking of upgrading to Toast 11. Right now my primary use of Toast is to download files from my TiVo, edit out commercials, and transcode them for the iPhone. I guess what I'm asking is ... has this improved at all in Toast 11?

I can live with the poor metadata support and the resolution limitations (although, seriously, what the hell is up with that?). But the issues that vex me now are:

• For some files, transcoding stops part of the way (always at a clip point). Moving the clip point fixes this, but it's frustrating to have to double check this all of the time.
  • Some files I have cannot be downloaded via TiVo Transfer. They start but stop only a little way in (like 16kB). I can download them via the web interface on the TiVo fine.
  • Some files cannot be edited with the video player. They either hang it or you can't select any points to clip.

I'm close to just chucking it and going with iTiVo, but I still wanted to give Toast another chance. What else have people done?

3 answers to this question

Hi, I'm a user of Toast 10 right now, and I've been thinking of upgrading to Toast 11. Right now my primary use of Toast is to download files from my TiVo, edit out commercials, and transcode them for the iPhone. I guess what I'm asking is ... has this improved at all in Toast 11?

I can live with the poor metadata support and the resolution limitations (although, seriously, what the hell is up with that?). But the issues that vex me now are:

• For some files, transcoding stops part of the way (always at a clip point). Moving the clip point fixes this, but it's frustrating to have to double check this all of the time.
  • Some files I have cannot be downloaded via TiVo Transfer. They start but stop only a little way in (like 16kB). I can download them via the web interface on the TiVo fine.
  • Some files cannot be edited with the video player. They either hang it or you can't select any points to clip.

I'm close to just chucking it and going with iTiVo, but I still wanted to give Toast another chance. What else have people done?

TiVo Transfer hasn't changed with Toast 11 but editing out commercials is much improved in Toast 11. Toast 11 has its own editor rather than using the former Toast Video Player. So your editing woes should be a thing of the past when using Toast 11.

TiVo Transfer hasn't changed with Toast 11 but editing out commercials is much improved in Toast 11. Toast 11 has its own editor rather than using the former Toast Video Player. So your editing woes should be a thing of the past when using Toast 11.

Thanks, that's exactly the sort of thing that I was wondering about. Like I said, I can live with the suboptimal metadata handling with Toast, but the commercial editing was really the source of my woes (and the product information that was available on the web basically said nothing had changed with the TiVo support, which wasn't encouraging). I think I'll lay down the bucks for Toast 11!