• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Transco

DVD-VR revisited

Question

I realize this topic was covered back in February, but I didn't see anything that exactly covers my problem. I am recording DVD-VR files on a standalone Panasonic DMR-E80H and attempting to feed them into my Mac (Tiger 10.4) via a Matshita DVD-RAM drive Model SW-9571. In the Windows world this worked OK and Nero was able to read / write these disks. I purchased Toast 7 so I could do this on the Mac. The media browser shows the correct DVD-VR format, but when I try dragging it into the video window I get: "One file is protected". I checked and the hardware (tabs) are in the unprotected position, when I burned the disk I didn't set the software protection, and, as I said before, Windows didn't have any problems with the disks.

OSX doesn't recognize the file structure, but will format, R/W the DVD-RAM disks. Toast will do a quick erase, but a full erase causes Toast to hang and has to forced close via the activity monitor. Anyone have any ideas? This is very frustrating. When I got my Mac (Intel iMac) I junked my Windows machine and never plan to return to that platform. So far. the only thing I haven't been able to do on my Mac is process the DVD-VR files.

15 answers to this question

Do you go down to the Titles level in the Media Browser and drag the titles themselves? If anything is "locked" their will be a padlock next to the title in the browser. Is that showing?

A few others have posted times when a disc burned with a DVD recorder had files Toast said were locked or copy protected. I think it once happened to me with a VR-mode DVD-RW and in that case I inserted the disc into a different drive and all was fine. My Macs with Apple Superdrives (Matshita) don't like these discs but my LaCie Firewire drive works well with them. I'm not suggesting you run out and buy another drive, but it would be a good test if you can try the DVD-RAM using a different drive to find out if that may be the issue.

Do you go down to the Titles level in the Media Browser and drag the titles themselves? If anything is "locked" their will be a padlock next to the title in the browser. Is that showing?

Yes, I go down to the Title level and yes, it has the padlock icon. Interestingly, I can copy the DVD-VR, but apparently only back to another DVD-VR; i.e. it will make a disk image, then ask me to insert a blank DVD-VR. The copy option icon is grayed out, so no way I can see to change the target. In the long term, I have two goals in mind:

1) Read my off-air recording from the DVD-VR disks, edit the content, then burn to DVD.

2) I'd like to output video generated on the computer to DVD-VR so it can be played with the standalone DVD-VR player connected to the TV.

I can see where #2 might be difficult considering the way Panasonic does things, but I would think #1 shouldn't be a problem. Locked or not locked I should be able to read the DVD-VR contents into the computer and convert it to whatever I need. Since Toast allows my to make copies, it obviously is able to read the DVD-VR without problem. Very strange.

Yes, I go down to the Title level and yes, it has the padlock icon. Interestingly, I can copy the DVD-VR, but apparently only back to another DVD-VR; i.e. it will make a disk image, then ask me to insert a blank DVD-VR. The copy option icon is grayed out, so no way I can see to change the target. In the long term, I have two goals in mind:

1) Read my off-air recording from the DVD-VR disks, edit the content, then burn to DVD.

2) I'd like to output video generated on the computer to DVD-VR so it can be played with the standalone DVD-VR player connected to the TV.

I can see where #2 might be difficult considering the way Panasonic does things, but I would think #1 shouldn't be a problem. Locked or not locked I should be able to read the DVD-VR contents into the computer and convert it to whatever I need. Since Toast allows my to make copies, it obviously is able to read the DVD-VR without problem. Very strange.

I agree it is strange. There should not be a padlock next to those titles. This is something the experts working at Roxio will have to troubleshoot. One thing you could try is to select the DVD-RAM in the Copy window and choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu. Then mount the disc image and see if the padlocks are gone when you access the mounted image in the Media Browser.

As for your second item I don't know of anything that will create a VR-mode disc on a computer.

I agree it is strange. There should not be a padlock next to those titles. This is something the experts working at Roxio will have to troubleshoot. One thing you could try is to select the DVD-RAM in the Copy window and choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu. Then mount the disc image and see if the padlocks are gone when you access the mounted image in the Media Browser.

As for your second item I don't know of anything that will create a VR-mode disc on a computer.

I put the DVD-VR disk back in the standalone player and it showed that the file wasn't locked. From all the tests I've run so far, it would appear that Toast simply doesn't understand the format. It can copy what it sees, but is unable to decode it. The padlock seems to indicate "sorry, no can do".

No problem with these files in the Windows world. I guess my only option is to use Windows to convert them into something the Mac will understand. FYI, Nero will generate DVD-VR files. Unfortunately there is no Mac version.

Edited by Transco

Are these DVD-RW or DVD-RAM? Do they disc have CPRM? Get info in Toast and see if it shows a copy protection.

I have exactly the same problem. I use a DVD-RW disc to record TV shows on an LG set top recorder. Of 5 shows that were recorded. One appears with a padlock and refuses to be imported. The other 4 import fine (into the Roxio converted items folder). There is no indication as far as the LG is concerned that this particular title is protected. This is definitely a bug - and the first time I have seen this happen.

I'm having the same problem. My files have the lock icon, and Toast won't touch them. I'm going to try a few more things (such as the image suggestion mentioned above), and I'll let you all know how I get on.

Edit: OK, the image was also protected, so no luck there. I Boot Camped into XP and tried out VCDGear, which could successfully copy the videos to the hard drive (so the hardware is fine). On the other hand, the Mac version of VCDGear won't do anything - it says it's processing but just sits there (the drive activity light doesn't come on).

I'll continue to try stuff and see what happens.

Edited by MacManX

Hi. I have the same problem accessing files recorded to DVD-RAM on my SAMSUNG DVD-R120. All files appear protected and I can do nothing with them. The files are not protected in any way. Over a week ago I opened a webticket and have heard nothing. I am using Toast Platinum 7.1.2. I really need to access these disks. I had no problem manipulating these disks in Windows before moving to OS X, I have no idea what the problem is.

I'm not hear to complain, I just want some help from people at Roxio with this.

Thanks.

I had the same problem some time ago... I decided to forget trying to convert the video files via toast.

I got Pixe VRF browser that allows to convert and edit VR files to Mpg2. Works fine.

Then I just make a Video Disk from toast

Thanks. I'll check out Pixe. This is a workaround though, Toast is supposed to support UDF 2.0, so I'm a little unhappy that it does not work. Honestly, I could accept that but despite my webticket roxio have not contacted me about this, which is very disappointing.

Thanks. I'll check out Pixe. This is a workaround though, Toast is supposed to support UDF 2.0, so I'm a little unhappy that it does not work. Honestly, I could accept that but despite my webticket roxio have not contacted me about this, which is very disappointing.

I also have PixeVRF Browser but rarely use it. You'll need to export as separate streams (individual video and audio files) and then drag the .m2v video stream to Toast (it will ask for the audio if it doesn't automatically see it). For some reason Toast doesn't like the muxed MPEGs exported from the Pixela products.

I wish I knew why you're getting the locked VR titles in the Toast Browser.

I have 2 (different model) panasonic Recorders. on both I get the files locked. in one of them even the DVD-Ram appears locked. I tried everything, mpg2works, mpeg streamclip, toast, ffmpeg... you name it. Only pixe was able to read the disk and files.

I have done some tests with my brand-new panansonic DMR-EX95V(European Type) on a german OSX 10.4.8.

I have copied movies from VHS to DVD RAM and I have also recorded directly to DVD-RAMs.

In both cases I was able to burn DVDs which I could run later on my iMac G5, I did not get any locked DVD-VR files on my DVD RAMs, so may be there is something wrong with the Panasonic Firmware on older or none European models.

I used Toast 7.1.2 and also Toast 7.1, no problems. I have also quicktime Pro installed, don't know, if that affects the described problem.

Edited by pgs