• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

malcinblue

Dvd Playback

Question

I burn a typical 750mb (approx) avi movie file to dvd using the Create DVD feature in Roxio 2011. I have no problems setting up the menu etc. I drag and drop the file to the menu interface and it burns to disk without any fuss. The problem occurs when playing back on a dvd player, after around 45 minutes the movie stops. You have to press pause and then play to restart the movie. This only lasts around 5 minutes before you have to repeat the process. I am using pretty standard 4.3gb disks.

Any help will be appreciated, is this a common issue? Finally if I try to burn without the menu, the program crashes.

4 answers to this question

I burn a typical 750mb (approx) avi movie file to dvd using the Create DVD feature in Roxio 2011. I have no problems setting up the menu etc. I drag and drop the file to the menu interface and it burns to disk without any fuss. The problem occurs when playing back on a dvd player, after around 45 minutes the movie stops. You have to press pause and then play to restart the movie. This only lasts around 5 minutes before you have to repeat the process. I am using pretty standard 4.3gb disks.

Any help will be appreciated, is this a common issue? Finally if I try to burn without the menu, the program crashes.

How long is the movie in TIME. File size means nothing.

Are you using a double layer disc?

Are you burning directly to a disc or are you burning (encoding ) to an ISO file and then using the "Burn ISO to Disc" or Video Copy and convert application?

Dounload the free VLC player and play that disc on your computer to eliminate any issue with your DVD player.

How long is the movie in TIME. File size means nothing.

Are you using a double layer disc?

Are you burning directly to a disc or are you burning (encoding ) to an ISO file and then using the "Burn ISO to Disc" or Video Copy and convert application?

Dounload the free VLC player and play that disc on your computer to eliminate any issue with your DVD player.

The movies are probably an hour and a half to two hours normally and I burn to single layer disks. I use VLC on my pc and the problem doesn't occur on the PC. It's only on certain DVD players. Would it be better to burn to 8gb disks?

The movies are probably an hour and a half to two hours normally and I burn to single layer disks. I use VLC on my pc and the problem doesn't occur on the PC. It's only on certain DVD players. Would it be better to burn to 8gb disks?

A standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of video using the HQ (best quality) setting. If your video is longer then the video has to be compressed with a resulting loss of quality. If you use "Fit-to-disc" then you made the worst choice possibel.

Obviously of you have a DL burner then the 90 minute movie would fit without compression while a 2 hour movie will require some compression since a DL DVD will not hold a full 2 hours at best quality.

Another option for a 4.7GB DVD is to burn to an iso image file or Video_TS folder at the best quality setting and then burn the folder set or iso file to a 4.7GB DVDusing Burn Data disc. The "oversize" video will be transcoded to fit the disc

The problem of a DVD stopping or stuttering during playback is usually caused by the quality of the burn, rather than the quality of the video you're putting on the disc.

Try slowing your burn speed to half the speed you're currently using, to get better burn quality. Better quality blank discs will help, too. Create an ISO image first, and burn your DVD from that rather than trying to burn while your machine is actually creating the DVD.