ThePad

Mydvd Save Project Not Working

Question

I've just upgraded to Creator 2011 PRO from Creator 2010. When working with my DVD I can't select Save Project on the File Menu as it is greyed out. Hitting Ctrl+S will not save any new edits either. The only way I can save work as I go along is to return to the main MyDVD screen. This is a real headache as I like to save frequently as I work.

Is there any fix for this???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

15 answers to this question

I've just upgraded to Creator 2011 PRO from Creator 2010. When working with my DVD I can't select Save Project on the File Menu as it is greyed out. Hitting Ctrl+S will not save any new edits either. The only way I can save work as I go along is to return to the main MyDVD screen. This is a real headache as I like to save frequently as I work.

Is there any fix for this???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

What do you mean by the above bolded text?

What do you mean by the above bolded text?

When you use the editor in myDVD, the option to Save your project is greyed out but the option to Save As is still available.

If you switch back to the myDVD menu creation page, both options to save are available.

I have never noticed this before since I almost never use the myDVD editor for editing videos but always use Videowave.

When you use the editor in myDVD, the option to Save your project is greyed out but the option to Save As is still available.

If you switch back to the myDVD menu creation page, both options to save are available.

I have never noticed this before since I almost never use the myDVD editor for editing videos but always use Videowave.

Thanks myguggi. That is what I was trying to say. I could never understand why the edit page in previous versions didn't include a Save icon to save your work as you go along. Just so much easier to hit an icon to save your work. This greying out of the save option under the File menu is a major flaw IMO.

Thanks myguggi. That is what I was trying to say. I could never understand why the edit page in previous versions didn't include a Save icon to save your work as you go along. Just so much easier to hit an icon to save your work. This greying out of the save option under the File menu is a major flaw IMO.

I don't know whether it is by design (for whatever reason) or just a bug but would be annoying. I never noticed it before since I hardly edit using myDVD.

Yes, I know that, but the OP did not say what he was doing. I assumed that that is what he was doing, but you know what assumptions do. :)

Use VideoWave to create your production, and do all your editing there. When you edit, in MyDVD, you get a VideoWave screen, but as you found out, you can't save from that screen. You can save when you create, and edit your production, if you do it in VideoWave, which is the intended program to do this.

MyDVD was designed to be the authoring and burning program for what you create in VideoWave.

VW uses an 'intelligent' Save...

ONLY when something changes is 'Save' available.

No Change in the project ~ No need to save...

Pretty common is most software these days but I am surprised that it hasn't been added to MyDVD :huh:

VW uses an 'intelligent' Save...

ONLY when something changes is 'Save' available.

No Change in the project ~ No need to save...

Pretty common is most software these days but I am surprised that it hasn't been added to MyDVD :huh:

"Surprised" is putting it mildly. The other thing is that the Save Option on the main DVD creation page does not gray out after you save something. So what it that called "unintelligent" save? Roxio should fix this.

Use VideoWave to create your production, and do all your editing there. When you edit, in MyDVD, you get a VideoWave screen, but as you found out, you can't save from that screen. You can save when you create, and edit your production, if you do it in VideoWave, which is the intended program to do this.

MyDVD was designed to be the authoring and burning program for what you create in VideoWave.

I have had three other versions of Roxio Creator over the years. In all cases you could save your work while in the editing window of MyDVD. IMO this is definetely a major bug.

I have always done my editing in the MyDVD editing window for the following reasons.

1. If I edit in Videowave first I have to encode the movie first, then I have to burn it. So it takes much longer.

2. Editing in Videowave first, encoding and then burning means there are effectively to encodes. I always understood that you lose quality with each encode. So to me it makes sense to edit in MyDVD and just have the one encode as it is burned to DVD.

3. Why have a full editing window in MyDVD if it were not intended to be used?

My rational for editing may well be flawed. If so I would welcome an explanation.

I have had three other versions of Roxio Creator over the years. In all cases you could save your work while in the editing window of MyDVD. IMO this is definetely a major bug.

I have always done my editing in the MyDVD editing window for the following reasons.

1. If I edit in Videowave first I have to encode the movie first, then I have to burn it. So it takes much longer.

2. Editing in Videowave first, encoding and then burning means there are effectively to encodes. I always understood that you lose quality with each encode. So to me it makes sense to edit in MyDVD and just have the one encode as it is burned to DVD.

3. Why have a full editing window in MyDVD if it were not intended to be used?

My rational for editing may well be flawed. If so I would welcome an explanation.

You are wrong one one point: you do not have to encode first in Videowave. You can save your Videowave project to a dmsm file, exit VW, launch myDVD and then add the VW project. There is only one encode process. You can also send your VW project directly to myDVD instead of exiting and launching myDVD. Again, the encoding is done only once. Another point, even if you do encode in VW to a DVD quality, mpeg2 file, you can add that file in myDVD and there is no encoding when you burn.

You are wrong one one point: you do not have to encode first in Videowave. You can save your Videowave project to a dmsm file, exit VW, launch myDVD and then add the VW project. There is only one encode process. You can also send your VW project directly to myDVD instead of exiting and launching myDVD. Again, the encoding is done only once. Another point, even if you do encode in VW to a DVD quality, mpeg2 file, you can add that file in myDVD and there is no encoding when you burn.

Thanks myguggi. That is very helpful information. :)

Edited by ThePad

Well I've spent the last 10 days fighting with Roxio Customer Care on this issue. It was a massive waste of time in which I was required to uninstall and reinstall on two different occasions, update drivers for sound card and graphics card, create new user accounts just for Roxio on my PC amongst other things. None of their suggestions cured the problem. After 10 days of making me jump through hoops Roxio eventually tested the problem for themselves - and what do you know - they have exactly the same problem. Here is their last communication to me

We have tried it from our end and face the same issue. The Save option is disabled while editing because the editing window is primarily closed to enable the Save option. This can be done by clicking on Back to MyDVD button on the top which is highlighted in the screenshot attached along with this web-ticket.

We have documented your feedback regarding this issue and will make sure that the information is passed along to the right people in our organization as necessary.

Have a nice day!

So there you have it - its a bug and its official. Its just a pity they didn't take the 5 minutes to test it when I first contacted them rather then dragging me through a dog and pony show. :angry2:

It remains to be seen if or when they will fix it.

Well I've spent the last 10 days fighting with Roxio Customer Care on this issue. It was a massive waste of time in which I was required to uninstall and reinstall on two different occasions, update drivers for sound card and graphics card, create new user accounts just for Roxio on my PC amongst other things. None of their suggestions cured the problem. After 10 days of making me jump through hoops Roxio eventually tested the problem for themselves - and what do you know - they have exactly the same problem. Here is their last communication to me

So there you have it - its a bug and its official. Its just a pity they didn't take the 5 minutes to test it when I first contacted them rather then dragging me through a dog and pony show. :angry2:

You can bet that you won't be seeing any updates of any kind for Creator 2011, since Creator 2012 came out yesterday.

I don't see it as any sort of a bug...

With VideoWave, you can Save ALL NEW PROJECTS...

You can Save ANY Project that has been CHANGED...

What possible reason do you need to Save a Project that has never been changed :huh:

You found something that is about as important as lint and are trying to make a big deal out of it :lol:

Works the same way in Creator 2012 and most likely will be there in 2013 ;)

I don't see it as any sort of a bug...

With VideoWave, you can Save ALL NEW PROJECTS...

You can Save ANY Project that has been CHANGED...

What possible reason do you need to Save a Project that has never been changed :huh:

You found something that is about as important as lint and are trying to make a big deal out of it :lol:

Works the same way in Creator 2012 and most likely will be there in 2013 ;)

Well we'll have to disagree.

I like to edit in MyDVD for a number of reasons. For instance, I can make chapter markers as I go (and I tend to use a lot of chapter markers). If I work in Videowave and export to MyDVD I then have to through the tiresome process of clicking 60 or 70 markers and converting them to chapter markers as there is no way to convert multiple markers to chapter markers.

Then if I have to make a major change to a completed project, and I do that work in Videowave I have to go through the same process of converting all the chapter markers all over again.

Why have an editing window in MyDVD if it is not to be used??? And if there is and edit window the Save option should be available without having to go back to the main MyDVD window. It is a very very basic funciton. It has been there in every previous version and now it is gone for apparently no good reason. It is a bug without question and probably relates to a couple of lines of code which could easily be fixed. That however is unlikely in the extreme.

I'm returning Creator 2011 for a refund and going back to Easy Media Creator 2010.

Edited by ThePad