• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Video Recorded To Dvd-R Skips Frames

PSRumbaugh

Question

Have new Dell Inspironn N4110 with Pentium B940 dual core 2 GHz processor, 4 GB of RAM and 320 GB hard disc and 8X DVD/CD writter. Operating system is Win7 premium home edition with SP1 and DirectX is version 11. The video that is recorded onto DVD-R disc has missing video frames (dropouts) when played back on a Sony DVP-SR500H or Samsung DVD-P181 component DVD player as does the Roxio real time video monitor while recoding to C: drive. The audio seems OK. The VHS source tape has no video dropouts. I have: (1) defragmented the C: hard drive, (2) set processor priority = high (Win7 won't allow me to set priority = realtime even though I am the administrator), (3) used both USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports WITHOUT a hub, (4) re-installed the Roxio software. Help. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, (1) will the Roxio Video Capture USB (a/d converter) record the analog line level NTSC video and stereo audio from a DVD player and (2) when recording audio (for CD-R) does the a/d or software employ audio compression (a.k.a automatic volume control (AVC))? If so, how do I disable the AVC?

6 answers to this question

I have noticed that the Video Capture USB device (Video & Audio A/D converter) must have a software controlled variable gain pre-amplifier ahead of the Audio A/D. I have had full scale response (+100% to -100%) with audio ranging from 45 mVp-p to 3 Vp-p measured with a 400 Hz sinewave input. How do I set the pre-amp for a known gain and disable any automatic volume control (i.e. audio compressor)?

Have new Dell Inspironn N4110 with Pentium B940 dual core 2 GHz processor, 4 GB of RAM and 320 GB hard disc and 8X DVD/CD writter. Operating system is Win7 premium home edition with SP1 and DirectX is version 11. The video that is recorded onto DVD-R disc has missing video frames (dropouts) when played back on a Sony DVP-SR500H or Samsung DVD-P181 component DVD player as does the Roxio real time video monitor while recoding to C: drive. The audio seems OK. The VHS source tape has no video dropouts. I have: (1) defragmented the C: hard drive, (2) set processor priority = high (Win7 won't allow me to set priority = realtime even though I am the administrator), (3) used both USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports WITHOUT a hub, (4) re-installed the Roxio software. Help. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, (1) will the Roxio Video Capture USB (a/d converter) record the analog line level NTSC video and stereo audio from a DVD player and (2) when recording audio (for CD-R) does the a/d or software employ audio compression (a.k.a automatic volume control (AVC))? If so, how do I disable the AVC?

Are you doing direct to DVD capture or are you first capturing to your hard drive and then burning the captured video file? If you have not then give that a try.. If yes ten does the video file show the dropped frames when played through Windows Media Player? The capture preview means nothing since it is not a real time display, ie. it does not display every frame.

I assume that you are not running any other tasks when capturing.

Also read this and tell us what version of VHS2DVD you are using.

I am using EasyVHS2DVD.exe version 1.0.1.21 build 201B23A ENU created on 3-1-2010. Upon boot-up there are: Startup = 3, Processes = 68, Services = 179. I succeded in setting the processor priority = "realtime" through window's task manager in Win7 Premium Home Edition. I would really like to record the video to my C: drive first then burn it to a DVD-R later. I haven't tried recording direct to DVD yet, why might this help? Attached is a "Belarc Advisor" report of my Dell Inspiron N4110 laptop.

Belarc-Advisor_Report.doc

I am using EasyVHS2DVD.exe version 1.0.1.21 build 201B23A ENU created on 3-1-2010. Upon boot-up there are: Startup = 3, Processes = 68, Services = 179. I succeded in setting the processor priority = "realtime" through window's task manager in Win7 Premium Home Edition. I would really like to record the video to my C: drive first then burn it to a DVD-R later. I haven't tried recording direct to DVD yet, why might this help? Attached is a "Belarc Advisor" report of my Dell Inspiron N4110 laptop.

Capturing to your hard drive first and then burning to DVD is the best method. You read my question wrong.

Did you play your captured video on your computer? Does it show dropped frames?

I doubt that switching priorities to real time will make any difference and may in fact cause a lot of problems.

Capturing to your hard drive first and then burning to DVD is the best method. You read my question wrong.

Did you play your captured video on your computer? Does it show dropped frames?

I doubt that switching priorities to real time will make any difference and may in fact cause a lot of problems.

Correction: Win7 task manager would not accept priority = "realtime", instead it automatically gave me priority = "high". Setting priority didn't seem to make any difference. Playing the video that is on the C: hard drive through Windows Media Player (version 12.0.7601.17514) also shows dropped frames. Do you think that my Intel Pentium B940 processor is bound up with so many processes and services running? Which services and processes can be safely turned off? Also, would upgrading to Win7 Professional help with the dropped frame problem.

Correction: Win7 task manager would not accept priority = "realtime", instead it automatically gave me priority = "high". Setting priority didn't seem to make any difference. Playing the video that is on the C: hard drive through Windows Media Player (version 12.0.7601.17514) also shows dropped frames. Do you think that my Intel Pentium B940 processor is bound up with so many processes and services running? Which services and processes can be safely turned off? Also, would upgrading to Win7 Professional help with the dropped frame problem.

Updating the OS will not make a difference.

Shutting down the antivirus as well as any running tasks (not using the computer for anything) are always recommended when capturing. Frequent defragmentation of the hard drive is also helpful.

As to which process to stop, I have no idea. I would certainly stop any that you use infrequently.

Archived