• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Only Plays On Certain Dvd Players

EdMIBR

Question

I created a DVD using Creator 2011 My DVD. When I put it in my DVD player it loads and I can highlight menu items but when I push "Enter" it will not play. I tried the same disc in my older DVD player and I can navigate and play all of the menu's. The older player is not an HD player. Any idea's on how I can get it to play on my HD-DVD Player? I have created other DVD's and not had any trouble playing them on the HD player.

16 answers to this question

I created a DVD using Creator 2011 My DVD. When I put it in my DVD player it loads and I can highlight menu items but when I push "Enter" it will not play. I tried the same disc in my older DVD player and I can navigate and play all of the menu's. The older player is not an HD player. Any idea's on how I can get it to play on my HD-DVD Player? I have created other DVD's and not had any trouble playing them on the HD player.

Brand name and model # of each player, make of disc's that play or won't play, -R/RW +R/RW?

If you made this DVD the same way as you made the ones that play properly on your HD player, it should work.

If it doesn't, it might be the quality of the burn that is causing the problem. All burned DVDs have errors which the player corrects as it plays. Too many errors and the player chokes, and playback stops or stutters.

It often helps to separate the creation part of the process from the burning, by making an ISO image first instead of burning to disc. Then you can burn the ISO to disc in a separate operation. Burn it at about half maximum speed to get the best quality burn, since most burners are optimized about the middle of their speed range.

What brand of media are you using?

It's a common occurence for high end players to balk at low-end discs.

I am using Sony brand media. I also tested the DVD player with a comercial DVD and the remote control is functioning properly. I would not call the DVD player a high end unit. It just has the HD and HDMI outputs unlike my older DVD player.

Any other idea's?

I am using Sony brand media. I also tested the DVD player with a comercial DVD and the remote control is functioning properly. I would not call the DVD player a high end unit. It just has the HD and HDMI outputs unlike my older DVD player.

Any other idea's?

Did you try the suggestion in Post #4 (the last paragraph).

Any other idea's?

Brand name and model # of each player, make of disc's that play or won't play, -R/RW +R/RW?

Ok, I tried Post #4 and Post #8. The menu's still do not work.

Answers to Post 3 & 8

The media I recorded on is Sony DVD+R ver 1.2 1X-8X

The media that does work are commercialy recorded DVD's

The player on which it does NOT work is a Toshiba Model SDK990KU aquired in 2010

The player on which they do work is a Zenith Model XBV443 combo DVD/VCR Player built in 2004

Ok, I tried Post #4 and Post #8. The menu's still do not work.

Answers to Post 3 & 8

The media I recorded on is Sony DVD+R ver 1.2 1X-8X

The media that does work are commercialy recorded DVD's

The player on which it does NOT work is a Toshiba Model SDK990KU aquired in 2010

The player on which they do work is a Zenith Model XBV443 combo DVD/VCR Player built in 2004

There was nothing to try in post # 8!

Start at this post and read down. Forget it's about Dual Layer media, it applies to your Sony DVD+R media too.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/64338-quality-questions/page__view__findpost__p__327471

What would that have to do with, "Only Plays On Certain Dvd Players"?

not much but the suggested steps might be the cure for this particular player.

1. If after selecting the correct input and there is still no picture, make sure the player is not in Progressive Mode.
  2. If after checking or adjusting the setting the TV still doesn't have picture, unplug the power cord for 2-3 minutes.
  3. If the reset doesn't work, try hooking the unit up to another component input on your TV (if available).

Another possibility is try DVD-R and see if there's any improvement - also try using Verbatim or Taiyo-Yuden/JVC.

Usually players from the big names are the problem - the stuff churned out by A.Non of Taiwan seem to accept anything you feed them (but they use computer DVD-ROM drives instead of custom-built ones which are a lot more tolerant of the media)

not much but the suggested steps might be the cure for this particular player.

1. If after selecting the correct input and there is still no picture, make sure the player is not in Progressive Mode.
  2. If after checking or adjusting the setting the TV still doesn't have picture, unplug the power cord for 2-3 minutes.
  3. If the reset doesn't work, try hooking the unit up to another component input on your TV (if available).

The media that does work are commercial recorded DVD's :blink:

Archived