KellyH

Deleting Or Trimming Sections In Production

Question

I can not trim sections between markers. I have tried clicking on first marker, pressing CTRL, clicking second marker, clicking "-" sign. It will not keep the second marker highlighted. I have also tried clicking the track line between the two markers and clicking the trim section(s). It will just trim a very short section of the marked section. Is it me the operator or is there something wrong with the software?

3 answers to this question

I can not trim sections between markers. I have tried clicking on first marker, pressing CTRL, clicking second marker, clicking "-" sign. It will not keep the second marker highlighted. I have also tried clicking the track line between the two markers and clicking the trim section(s). It will just trim a very short section of the marked section. Is it me the operator or is there something wrong with the software?

It is the Operator:)

You cannot "trim" the segment between two markers on the timeline, that process is called "deleting" Trimming only applies to segments at the beginning and end of a video clip.

If you have placed the markers, then click on the segment between marker (an orange line should appear between the 2 markers) and then click the red X to delete the marked segment.

Another way to delete a video segment is to move the cursor to the start of the segment to delete and hit the Split icon. Then move the cursor to the end of the segment you want to remove and click Split again. If you had a single video you should now have 3 segments. The middle one is the one you want to remove so select it and then click delete.

You can also use the "split & delete" method to trim segments from the biginning or end of a video. In this case you would only do a split once

Thank you for the info. At the defense of the operator (me), I did exactly what the book told me to and the help in the program.....they refered to trimming to cut out portions of the video. ( so I don't think it was ENTIRELY the operator) :) !! I also tried EXACTLY what you recommended. The only way I could delete portions of the video was through the "split". Anyway, I thank you for your quick response.....whatever way works....I can now move forward on this learning curve.

Thank you for the info. At the defense of the operator (me), I did exactly what the book told me to and the help in the program.....they refered to trimming to cut out portions of the video. ( so I don't think it was ENTIRELY the operator) :) !! I also tried EXACTLY what you recommended. The only way I could delete portions of the video was through the "split". Anyway, I thank you for your quick response.....whatever way works....I can now move forward on this learning curve.

The only problem with the split&delete method is that you cannot remove a section of 10 or less frames. Here you will have to use the trim method. (So techniically the help/book is correct). You would do this by creating a split point at the beginning of the section to be removed. You would then trim the required number of frames from the beginning of the clip on the right of the split point. You can of course also use this method to "trim" larger sections.