Sign in to follow this  
Elby

Some AVIs work and some don't

Question

I have several AVI files that play fine in WMP, but show up as a big red circle with a line through it when I try to add them to DVD builder. I can't see any difference between these files and other AVIs that do work.

4 answers to this question

I have several AVI files that play fine in WMP, but show up as a big red circle with a line through it when I try to add them to DVD builder. I can't see any difference between these files and other AVIs that do work.

What type of avi files? Could be a codec problem even though it plays in WMP. However, try the Prefup patch and see if it works. You should reboot after applying it.

Elby:

I have the same problem. I tried the Prefup patch, but with no luck. If anyone finds an answer to this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ed

Elby:

I have the same problem. I tried the Prefup patch, but with no luck. If anyone finds an answer to this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ed

You might try uninstalling some codecs or even all of them if you installed them separately as there may be a conflict. Too many or just as bad as none.

I had the same problem with avi clips from my old Ricoh camera. Prefup seemed to have a mind of its own as to whether it wished to work or not! However, one workaround I found was as follows.

1. Open Media Manager

2. View -> Collections -> Browse

3. If needed create a new Collection by right clicking on My Collections in the Collections pane and selecting New Collection.

4. Open required Collection.

5. Open Windows Explorer and reduce to a convenient size.

6. Drag required files from Explorer to the right hand area of Media Manager. NOTE Other possible methods of getting files into Media Manager will not work.

7. To use the clips in VideoWave, go View -> Media Selection -> Collections

As to why this worked, I haven't the faintest idea; I just know it did.

Alternatively, I found that importing the clips into Moviemaker2 and saving them there gave usable clips. Of course, that is an extremely long-winded way of doing things.