ThePad

Emc Content Installation Problems

Question

After a reinstall of EMC 10 I ran into the dreaded MPEG-2 activation problem when trying to open MyDVD. I spent hours and hours trying to fix it, and read just about everything I could find on the forum about it. I did full uninstall/reinstalls amongst many other suggestions and nothing worked.

I finally found a post where someone had fixed the problem by updating from version 10.0 to 10.1. So I downloaded the update and ran it. Amazing - it actually worked. MyDVD now works again - but - all the content was gone.

So I ran the EMC 10 Content update as well. But it wont work. The installer starts but then advises me there is an existing version of EMC 10 Content and asks if it should uninstall it before installing the update. I clicked yes. After a short while I get an error message stating "Setup has determined that your configuration does not support any of the included products". And the update fails.

I tried to remove the existing version of EMC10 Content via Windows Control Panel but the uninstall fails with an error message that reads "Error 1316. A network error occured while attempting to read from file C:\Windows\Installer\Roxio Content 10.msi" and it just wont uninstall.

I also tried to reinstall the original version of EMC10 Content over the existing version, but that fails also.

After hours and hours I am exasperated and on the point of taking a sledge hammer to my PC.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me solve this problem.

TIA

7 answers to this question

:):):)

Yeehhaaa!!! I managed to fix it.

I googled Error 1316 and found out it was a problem with registry errors. I finally found my way to a Microsoft support page that has a tool for diagnosing and fixing install/uninstall errors. I downloaded and ran the tool. It took about 5 minutes but it uninstalled the existing version of EMC10 Content. I then ran the EMC10 Content update and it installed with no problems.

Everything is finally back working. If anyone has similar problems you can find the FixIt tool on the link below

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

God!!! I hate computers. :blink:

Nice catch - that looks like an updated version of the MSICUU app that they pulled a while back

Thanks gi7omy, but I feel I need to add to this thread just a little bit.

When I overcame the MPEG-2 activation problem in MyDVD by upgrading EMC 10.0 to 10.1, I found the problem that had kick started my trying to get back to EMC 10.0 in the first place. I had installed Creator Pro 2011 and found that in the edit window of MyDVD it was not possible to save work within the edit window - you had to hit the Go Back To MyDvd button and save changes there. Others on the board don't seem to consider this a problem, but I hate it as I do all my editing in MyDVD. When Roxio advised there wouldn't be a fix for this in 2011 I decided to return it for a refund and go back to my original EMC10.

After upgrading EMC 10.0 to 10.1, I didn't have the MPEG-2 activation problem anymore, but 10.1 had the same missing Save option as 2011 which annoys the hell out of me.

So I decided to make one last attempt to get my original EMC10 running properly. I followd the Roxio instructions for a full uninstall to the letter. Uninstalled all Roxio products through Control Panel, Deleted the folders they say you have to delete, emptied the recycle bin, and deleted the registry entries they indicate.

However just before rebooting for a reinstall I did a search for the keywords Roxio and Sonic on my computer. I found numerous files and folders with Roxio and Sonic references. So I deleted them as well. I also ran two registry cleaners. System Mechanic which is a paid PC maintenance tool, and Eusing Free Registry Cleaner. Both found references in the registry for Roxio and Sonic. So I deleted all the additional files and folders I had found, and cleaned all the registry entries found by the registry cleaners.

After rebooting I installed my original EMC10 and it's Content CD. The installation went without a hitch. MyDVD opened with no MPEG-2 activation problems, and the Save function I love so much in the MyDVD edit window was there.

It strikes me that the instructions Roxio give are inadequate. You really need to search your computer for any other Roxio/Sonic files or folders that Roxio have forgotten to mention. (Just make sure you don't inadvertently delete your original setup files if you downloaded rather than purchasing a CD version). And you need to run a registry cleaner to make sure there are absolutely no Roxio of Sonic references left in the registry.

Hoping this might help someone with similar problems.

Edited by ThePad

One thing to be VERY careful of in working through the registry is that Windows actually uses a Sonic/Roxio app for the built in burning. Remove all registry entries and you kill that as well.

The 'hidden' folders in app data - well they're mentioned on this board a lot when someone asks about installation.

You do know by the way that you can install 10.1 without having 10 installed? It was a complete build rather than a patch.

Edited by gi7omy

One thing to be VERY careful of in working through the registry is that Windows actually uses a Sonic/Roxio app for the built in burning. Remove all registry entries and you kill that as well.

The 'hidden' folders in app data - well they're mentioned on this board a lot when someone asks about installation.

You do know by the way that you can install 10.1 without having 10 installed? It was a complete build rather than a patch.

Thanks gi7omy.

I wasn't suggesting searching the registry for all Roxio/Sonic references and deleting them. Having removed the registry folders as instructed by Roxio the registry cleaners still found numerous invalid Roxio/Sonic entries. Those are the ones that I removed.

With regard to the "hidden" folders. My point is that it would appear that Roxio uninstall instructions are inadequate given I found several such folders after deleting the ones on the Roxio uninstall instructions.

I am aware that 10.1 is a complete install. My problem was getting rid of it completely so that I could get back to my original 10.0 version.

Bottom line is that Roxio is notorious for install/uninstall problems. I have never come across another program with so many issues. Add to that that their "help" instructions and support are extremely poor and the whole thing is a bit of a mess. I don't believe Roxio care one way or the other and that is a pity.

Edited by ThePad

Bottom line is that Roxio is notorious for install/uninstall problems. I have never come across another program with so many issues. Add to that that their "help" instructions and support are extremely poor and the whole thing is a bit of a mess. I don't believe Roxio care one way or the other and that is a pity.

Your opinion may be a result of your working with quite an old version of Creator.

There have been four versions since the ones you're talking about, and the latest is much better with its installer. It's showing the results of some hard work Roxio has been putting into this area of the software.

Brendon