• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Unfinalized Dvd's

peterguitar

Question

This is a long post..... This is as much a vent/rant as it is is a cry for help.

The DVD "standard" has got to be among the most unstandard (sic) that I have ever encountered. Blu-Rays seem to be even worse. I keep encountering client DVD's that were either not finalized or incorrectly finalized and in many cases the source machine is no longer available. This is a nightmare when trying to explain to a client (or even to myself) that a DVD that might play perfectly well in the original machine years ago will not mount, play or even show data of ANY kind to be available on my pretty sophisticated looking studio/Mac or any of my available DVD players.

I have googled extensively, experimented with disc recovery utilities of all kinds, and I have even purchased a piece of software that was supposed to be able to do a "forensic quality" search on a disc and recover data. No joy at all.

When CD's were new I had clients and Dance competition operators that refused to accept music on burned CD's and they insisted on cassette tapes as late as the early 2000's. Yet from the mid- 90's on there were demonstrable improvements in consistency of player/disc interactions and even though some were very paranoid for longer than necessary I at least always felt that progress was being made and I had more and more confidence in my product.

DVD's are as error prone and infuriating to deal with today on my early 2008 MacPro with more cores and RAM than common sense dictates, modern High Speed disc burners and space age software as it was when I had my DP500 Powermac and 2x DVD Burner and first gen DVD burning software solutions. My Mac crashes much less (almost never) and doesn't hang anymore when trying to process video data but beyond that the results are easily as frustrating and infuriating when trying to deal with burned DVD's of all kinds as they have ever been.

If a consumer DVD/VHS burning machine screws up a finalize operation, or if the disc is not finalized, I understand that the computer does not have an EASY roadmap of whatever is on a video disc. BUT WHY CAN"T I FIND A MACINTOSH UTILITY THAT WILL WILL READ AND THEN MANIPULATE WHAT IS ON THERE BY BRUTE FORCE ??!!??@#@##@$#@!!? WHY NOT SOMETHING THAT WILL FORCE THE OS TO MOUNT SOMETHING/ANYTHING?

I don't get this. I realllllly don't.

If I have missed something I will gladly come back for a mea culpa.

Thanks In Advance guys.

Pete

4 answers to this question

If your source DVDs were recorded in VR mode then Toast can extract the video from an unfinalized DVD. Insert the DVD and choose DVD under the Video tab in the Toast Media Browser. You should see the titles on the VR-mode disc just as you would from a finalized Video-mode DVD. Toast then can extract those videos from the disc when added to the main Toast window. I haven't attempted this with Toast 11 but it works that way with several previous versions of Toast so I expect it to still be functioning.

There is no way that I know of to get the video from an unfinalized Video-mode DVD without finalizing it in the same brand of recorder that created it.

If your source DVDs were recorded in VR mode then Toast can extract the video from an unfinalized DVD. Insert the DVD and choose DVD under the Video tab in the Toast Media Browser. You should see the titles on the VR-mode disc just as you would from a finalized Video-mode DVD. Toast then can extract those videos from the disc when added to the main Toast window. I haven't attempted this with Toast 11 but it works that way with several previous versions of Toast so I expect it to still be functioning.

There is no way that I know of to get the video from an unfinalized Video-mode DVD without finalizing it in the same brand of recorder that created it.

I have a bunch of "Unfinalized" dvd's from various old machines from the past and I Really could use a program that can "brute Force" finalize some of these dvd's to recover the lost files, or some method to get at the corrupted videos, the disks are probably VR mode and I am annoyed at the whole affair.

Duf

I have a bunch of "Unfinalized" dvd's from various old machines from the past and I Really could use a program that can "brute Force" finalize some of these dvd's to recover the lost files, or some method to get at the corrupted videos, the disks are probably VR mode and I am annoyed at the whole affair.

Duf

If they are VR mode (which I believe means they also were recorded to RW media) then Toast can extract the video from those discs. I don't know of anything that can extract video from an unfinalized video-mode disc.

Archived