ItCanBeDone

Old VideoWave Projects

Question

You should have no trouble using the Control Panel to remove Roxio 2010. I recently did just that and 2012 was not affected at all.

Thanks. I am now trying out 2012. In Video Wave, the videos I was working on in 2010 are showing empty when trying to open them in 2012. Do I have to rebuild them again? Looks like all my old videos that were saved on video wave 2010 and 2009 do not show up here. I just click save on video wave, until I am finished with editing ... then I save as an mpeg. I can't find those either. Maybe I can only play those mpeg's files. You can tell, I am not too techy.

8 answers to this question

VideoWave Project Files have an extension of “dmsm”.

The ones I have tested from 2010 & 2011 load without any problems in 2012???

Is that what you are referring to?

Otherwise, if you do an Export As from VideoWave, you are creating a Video file.

The difference is that the Video File has all of your editing applied and it cannot be changed again, in that file. (now of course you can edit a video file but it you want to change some Text you added, it cannot be done and other things would be very difficult )

A Project File (dmsm) on the other hand is fully editable whenever you want.

Are you getting error or warning messages when you try to open a Project file?

If so, what is the exact wording?

Something like this:

post-39730-081624500 1315918561.jpg

Thanks for opening the new link. When I search for a Video Wave dmsm file, it does not show up in the video wave "Insert Video/Photo" page. I have looked in the "file type" and have it on all media. But I do not see dmsm on that. I cannot see what is past 'dvr-n' however. I only get .dat. I have a HP so I looked on my organizer and find a dmsm. Then I go to that exact location in the Video Wave Insert screen and find everything else (the jpegs and file folders), but cannot get the .dmsm to show up on the Insert screen. Since it doesn't show up, I cannot continue to work on the project. I don't know what the .dat is, but it doesn't work.

While waiting for my Roxio upgrade, I tried Microsoft media maker and when trying to open some of my files, they were in two formats. .dat and another form (sorry, I forgot which). And MMM could not open either of them. I don't understand what they are, any why, under one title where I believe I had saved a Roxio, there is a split like this under one save. Is it sound and picture? Am I making any sense here?

Tried another thing. Went to my HP files, found a .dmsm. When I tried to open it, I get a box that says Windows wants to know which file, so I chose that I would pick it, and the box that popped up does not have Roxio. How do I add Roxio to that?

Tried another thing. Went to my HP files, found a .dmsm. When I tried to open it, I get a box that says Windows wants to know which file, so I chose that I would pick it, and the box that popped up does not have Roxio. How do I add Roxio to that?

Rely on Windows. Go to that dmsm file to determine where it is on your computer. Write that down. Open Video Wave and go to add photo/video and then navigate to that file. Click it. It should open.

You can also use Windows to search for "dmsm" and when it finds it, right clcik on one and select to open file location. Note where it is.

Thanks for opening the new link. When I search for a Video Wave dmsm file, it does not show up in the video wave "Insert Video/Photo" page. I have looked in the "file type" and have it on all media. But I do not see dmsm on that. I cannot see what is past 'dvr-n' however. I only get .dat. I have a HP so I looked on my organizer and find a dmsm. Then I go to that exact location in the Video Wave Insert screen and find everything else (the jpegs and file folders), but cannot get the .dmsm to show up on the Insert screen. Since it doesn't show up, I cannot continue to work on the project. I don't know what the .dat is, but it doesn't work.

While waiting for my Roxio upgrade, I tried Microsoft media maker and when trying to open some of my files, they were in two formats. .dat and another form (sorry, I forgot which). And MMM could not open either of them. I don't understand what they are, any why, under one title where I believe I had saved a Roxio, there is a split like this under one save. Is it sound and picture? Am I making any sense here?

A Videowave project will have 2 files associated with it: a dmsm file and a dat file. The will have the same names< eg, movie1.dmsm and movie1.dat. The dat file contains among other things the date for thumbnails that show up in your timeline and storyline. The dmsm file contains the list of resources (videos,audios, photos, etc), any effects, transitions etc you are using and so on. It does not contain any video whatsoever and is only associated with Videowave. These two files are created when you Svae As or Save your project. You should make a note of where they are saved. Do a Windows Explorer search for "dmsm". You cannot open any "dat" file, in fact you can easily delete them without effecting your ptoject. The next time you open the same project, those dat files are created again.

WMM will not open any of the Roxio project files.

The DAT files are part of the DMSM project Save… They cannot be loaded by themselves, so I didn’t think to mention them ;)

Both the DMSM and its’ associated DAT file are for use with VideoWave ONLY… Nothing else can make use of them AND they do not contain a single ‘drop’ of video or pictures :huh:

They are Project Files that are a program record of everything you are doing in that Project.

Since they are not video or picture files they cannot be Added to VideoWave!!!!

They can ONLY be OPENED!

Add:

post-39730-047511100 1316001109.jpg

Open:

post-39730-079051300 1316001114.jpg

Oh, a picture is worth a thousand words. I do not have the video wave files when I click on "add photo/video", but if I go to file/open production, then I only have the dmsm files which can now be worked on.

Problem solved. Thank you so much.

Lastly, What are the .iso files I see? I think they are completed projects, maybe when I click that 'save' box when burning.

Oh, a picture is worth a thousand words. I do not have the video wave files when I click on "add photo/video", but if I go to file/open production, then I only have the dmsm files which can now be worked on.

Problem solved. Thank you so much.

Lastly, What are the .iso files I see? I think they are completed projects, maybe when I click that 'save' box when burning.

ISO files are exact images of what would be on a DVD. They are not editable. They can be burned to a DVD or they can be played from a virtual drive with CinePlayer or played as is with VLC (free player.)