Toast Abort Multiplexing

mattrak

Question

im tryning to burn a HD DVD, from a muxed mpeg-2 that i create with mpeg streamclip. The movie is 2 hour long, so i split it in two parts. I used DL DVD. I was able to burn the first hour without problem, (Toast multiplex and burn the HD DVD, without re-encoding, thats what i wanted) but the second part, Toast abort multiplexing after 7 %. I never edit the movie. WHat causing Toast to abort the multiplex task? Is this something in the movie (bitrate, sound or something)??

6 answers to this question

I have to say, this is a broadcast movie that i capture with AVCvidecap. I open the m2t in MPEG-Streamclip and export it as a muxed MPEG-2. Maybe this would help you to understand

When you select an in or out point in Streamclip to make an edit, you should also choose Go to Keyframe (Edit menu) so that the edit happens on a frame that has the entire image. Most frames have references to other frames in order to show the image (that's how compression works) but their needs to be a keyframe on occasion. Cuts in a video should be made on a keyframe.

However, since your issue happens a little way into the second half of the video it is unlikely the keyframe edit has anything to do with the problem. What you might try is to trim out a section of the video where you think Toast is gagging and just do without that bit of video. Alternatively you will need to use Streamclip to convert the video to a different format such as h.264 MPEG 4 in which case Streamclip probably will create a file usable by Toast. Toast, then, will need to re-encode that back to MPEG 2 when it makes its HD DVD. You also could do a hybrid of these options. Convert the first several minutes of the video from MPEG Streamclip but just choose Convert to MPEG for the remainder. Then put the two videos in Toast and choose Play all items continuously so that during playback the only thing that will appear different is that the first section has 2.0 Dolby audio while the multiplexed portion has the original audio which may be 5.1.

Alternatively you will need to use Streamclip to convert the video to a different format such as h.264 MPEG 4 in which case Streamclip probably will create a file usable by Toast. Toast, then, will need to re-encode that back to MPEG 2 when it makes its HD DVD.

Thanks! I will try that. But if I convert the video to h.264 MPEG 4, then re-encode back to MPEG 2 with Toast, i will loose some video quality, right?

Thanks! I will try that. But if I convert the video to h.264 MPEG 4, then re-encode back to MPEG 2 with Toast, i will loose some video quality, right?

There will be some loss in quality but you may not notice the difference. Make sure you use a conversion setting that does not change the resolution (such as 1920x1080). Since you are starting with a high definition video the quality will remain very good. I wish there was an easy way to find the specific frames where the problem occurs because trimming out just those frames would be the ideal solution. I suppose you could do some math and calculate at what point 7% of the length occurs and then slowly advance the frames in Streamclip to try to spot any problem.

I also made an error in my earlier recommendation. If you are having Toast make a HD DVD from a h.264 video choose MPEG-4 rather than MPEG-2 in the Toast Custom Encoder Settings window as this will lessen any quality loss from the re-encoding.

Something to check is if you split the movie on a keyframe in Streamclip. You might also open the second part in Streamclip and choose the Fix Timecode Breaks command to see if that finds any to be fixed. Otherwise the only reason I can think that the second part isn't multiplexing to the end is there are dropped frames or some other problem at the point Toast quits.

Something to check is if you split the movie on a keyframe in Streamclip. You might also open the second part in Streamclip and choose the Fix Timecode Breaks command to see if that finds any to be fixed. Otherwise the only reason I can think that the second part isn't multiplexing to the end is there are dropped frames or some other problem at the point Toast quits.

Thanks for your help and the quick reply.

What is a keyframe?

Streamclip does't find any timecode break.

It does have a some dropped frames at some point, maybe i have to look at.

If i want to burn it anyway, what's the solution?

Archived