Jinker

Divx And Subs

Question

I have two old school play videos (not copyright) and I want to create a simple sub file (easily done) which can then be added to the .avi file for conversion to a DivX file to fit on a 700mb CD

The sub file text is for a friend who is totally deaf and I wondered if the new 2012 version will allow sub files to be included in a DivX film conversion?

It would be nice if they could watch the video and know what the kids had said. Its a bit of work to create the sub file but the bit I have no clue about is how to include it in a video.

I know we could use something like VLC Media Player on a PC as that will play sub files, but they don't have a computer only a DVD Player that plays DivX.

I think there might be other software that will let me create and add subs to video but just want another reason to make the 2012 purchase.

Jinker

12 answers to this question

Not real sure??? <_<

I added a couple video's with subtitles and it indicated Nothing!

Yet under Help, I see this:

post-39730-085820200 1316026495.jpg

So a "Text file" is pretty well out of the question.

In spite of their claims, I saw nowhere within the interface to actually add any of the supported files???

I have only dabbled in them a little so I make no claim to be the End-all Expert on subtitles :lol:

Hi Jim

That's an interesting observation and it looks like it might be possible. (Somehow?)

The sub will be created by watching the video, listening to the speech then going back and creating a sub/text bullet point file.

DivX Converter is supposed to read a .srt sub file and include it in a DivX conversion. Both the .avi and .srt have to be named the same for it to work. (That's the theory)

There's a whole raft of free software for converting and creating sub files but nothing I can find that will hard code the sub file text into an .avi

I will explore further and hopefully this can be done in 2012?

Jinker

Hi Jim

That's an interesting observation and it looks like it might be possible. (Somehow?)

The sub will be created by watching the video, listening to the speech then going back and creating a sub/text bullet point file.

DivX Converter is supposed to read a .srt sub file and include it in a DivX conversion. Both the .avi and .srt have to be named the same for it to work. (That's the theory)

There's a whole raft of free software for converting and creating sub files but nothing I can find that will hard code the sub file text into an .avi

I will explore further and hopefully this can be done in 2012?

Jinker

Why not simply add the text to the video file in Videowave. That way you do not have to bother with creating sub files.

I created a video with sub-title files a couple of years ago and found it to be a bit tedious especially trying to synchronize the timing of text to the audio

Why not simply add the text to the video file in Videowave. That way you do not have to bother with creating sub files.

I created a video with sub-title files a couple of years ago and found it to be a bit tedious especially trying to synchronize the timing of text to the audio

Having looked at the actual DivX website it looks like the conversion only works with a .srt file. The UK is supposed to be changing the law about copying video for personal use so DivX with subs might be useful in the future? I have decided to use a video editor and add some text where necessary which will be easier than trying to create a .sub file.

DivX converter is pretty limited and only retails for £5.99 which probably says it all?

Jinker

Having looked at the actual DivX website it looks like the conversion only works with a .srt file. The UK is supposed to be changing the law about copying video for personal use so DivX with subs might be useful in the future? I have decided to use a video editor and add some text where necessary which will be easier than trying to create a .sub file.

DivX converter is pretty limited and only retails for £5.99 which probably says it all?

Jinker

Question: why do you want to create a DivX file? Why to a CD? Why not create a proper video DVD that can be played on all DVD players?

Question: why do you want to create a DivX file? Why to a CD? Why not create a proper video DVD that can be played on all DVD players?

The Creator Suite has NO ability to create subtitles... :huh:

VideoWave can create "text" in a video but that falls far short of subtitles which can be turned On or Off as desied...

The DivX poses an interesting possibility:

Create a DivX clip WITH a subtitle.

Output that clip as a DVD using Video Copy and Convert which can use subtitles, if present.

Best example of creating a SubRip (srt) File and combining it is this piece which utilizes AnyVideo Converter, HERE. (anyvideo converter is one we often recommend here ;))

Jinker I would love to try it, but at the moment I am up to my ears in other tasks :lol:

My guess is to create the DivX file w/subtitle and output it to DVD Movie using VCC... I would also like to try the same using MyDVD but I suspect subtitling will be lost there :(

Might take me a few days to try it ;)

Edited by Jim_Hardin

The Creator Suite has NO ability to create subtitles... :huh:

VideoWave can create "text" in a video but that falls far short of subtitles which can be turned On or Off as desied...

The DivX poses an interesting possibility:

Create a DivX clip WITH a subtitle.

Output that clip as a DVD using Video Copy and Convert which can use subtitles, if present.

Best example of creating a SubRip (srt) File and combining it is this piece which utilizes AnyVideo Converter, HERE. (anyvideo converter is one we often recommend here ;))

Jinker I would love to try it, but at the moment I am up to my ears in other tasks :lol:

My guess is to create the DivX file w/subtitle and output it to DVD Movie using VCC... I would also like to try the same using MyDVD but I suspect subtitling will be lost there :(

Might take me a few days to try it ;)

Jim. Again a lot there to think about and you're spot on about my reason for using DivX. I just wondered if the new 2012 version had this capability and it does to a little extent but I think it's a long winded process to get there. I would be anyway trying to capture what kids had said on the stage and getting that down to a text file. But I am willing to spend the time especially as I'm deaf in my right ear and know how frustrating it can be so being totally deaf must be just terrible.

I'm going to try your suggestion in 2011 and have a look at the other software you suggested but as my timescale is to get this done for Christmas I should get there eventually.

Thanks for your help.

Jinker

Jim. Again a lot there to think about and you're spot on about my reason for using DivX. I just wondered if the new 2012 version had this capability and it does to a little extent but I think it's a long winded process to get there. I would be anyway trying to capture what kids had said on the stage and getting that down to a text file. But I am willing to spend the time especially as I'm deaf in my right ear and know how frustrating it can be so being totally deaf must be just terrible.

I'm going to try your suggestion in 2011 and have a look at the other software you suggested but as my timescale is to get this done for Christmas I should get there eventually.

Thanks for your help.

Jinker

Have you looked at DivX Author. They have a 30 day free trial.

The DivX in C2012 seems to be a OEM version of a full DivX package with only the converter/player included.

The DivX in C2012 seems to be a OEM version of a full DivX package with only the converter/player included.

That probably explains why I am not seeing anything :lol:

Jinker: a Speech to Text program (or trial) would probably help matters...

I have not been close enough to the hearing impared to know, but I suspect there are programs that already exist... Schools might even offer it as a service???

My own close encounter with an Anti Tank mine left me with a ringing in one ear but only a minor hearing lose ;)

That probably explains why I am not seeing anything :lol:

Jinker: a Speech to Text program (or trial) would probably help matters...

I have not been close enough to the hearing impared to know, but I suspect there are programs that already exist... Schools might even offer it as a service???

My own close encounter with an Anti Tank mine left me with a ringing in one ear but only a minor hearing lose ;)

Ahh Jim, Tinnitus, I know it so well....only those in the know, really know ;)

Pleased mine wasn't caused by an Anti Tank mine though. Pardon the pun.

Jinker

I have just looked at the programme an it's pretty cheap to buy as well at £12.99.

The 30 Day trial warrants a look and it does look like this is something that will do what I want.

I'm away this weekend so won't get a chance to go into it further until next week but I'll post back when I know more.

The 2012 version is obviously a limited version but the cost of buying the full version isn't that expensive so I will probably just buy it anyway.

Jinker