producer_ben

Div X Bundled Package Help Please

Question

Hi, I have been bundled Divx converter, divx plus player and divx movies with roxio. Not used it before, but finding it useless. When ever I try to playback a file or rip one using these programs it says that it does not recognise the file type and I would need to down load a directx plugin or something.

Any help please

10 answers to this question

Hi, I have been bundled Divx converter, divx plus player and divx movies with roxio. Not used it before, but finding it useless. When ever I try to playback a file or rip one using these programs it says that it does not recognise the file type and I would need to down load a directx plugin or something.

Any help please

What kind of file are you trying to play? From what or where are you trying to rip?

Any help please

You have a problem with your computer but you haven't given us enough information. First do this.

Read and try this.

Comeback and provide more information. You should also update your computer use this as a guide; not need to update the firmware on your burner unless you are having issues wit it.

Hello again,

sorry for the brief problem description.

Basically I have a new dell ispiron 1545, 4gb ram, dual intel 2.3ghz cpus, running genuine windows 7 pro.

What I want to do is rip my DVDs to my HD in AVI or divx format, which will then get loaded onto my media streaming NAS. I have all genuine DVDs. For example, I am trying to rip shrek. First off I have tried playing it in DIVX plus Player (bundled)and I get the following message -

" Unsupported Format

This video is and unsupported format and cannot be played without downloading additional direct show features"

So I then try going to the divx converter, find a vob on the shrek dvd. The drive spins up then I get an "Error 22" message saying it is unable to revognise the file type.

Thanks to those that have given help already, I have every windows and software update and this is not the cure unfortunately. Probably user error, but either way, I'd like some further assistance.

Thanks again

Hello again,

sorry for the brief problem description.

Basically I have a new dell ispiron 1545, 4gb ram, dual intel 2.3ghz cpus, running genuine windows 7 pro.

What I want to do is rip my DVDs to my HD in AVI or divx format, which will then get loaded onto my media streaming NAS. I have all genuine DVDs. For example, I am trying to rip shrek. First off I have tried playing it in DIVX plus Player (bundled)and I get the following message -

" Unsupported Format

This video is and unsupported format and cannot be played without downloading additional direct show features"

So I then try going to the divx converter, find a vob on the shrek dvd. The drive spins up then I get an "Error 22" message saying it is unable to revognise the file type.

Thanks to those that have given help already, I have every windows and software update and this is not the cure unfortunately. Probably user error, but either way, I'd like some further assistance.

Thanks again

The Roxio software won't let you convert an encrypted commercial DVD, because it is illegal to do so.

The Roxio software won't let you convert an encrypted commercial DVD, because it is illegal to do so.

I understand that roxio may not, but I would have thought DIVx would. In my understanding, it is legal to make a digital back up of your music/video purchases as long at is is for backup purposes only and is left in it's original entity (no edits etc), then with that said, you are in no way to distribute this work be it "torrent" or re-selling for financial gain. I mean you can rip cds to ipods and media players, so why not rip dvd to a portable digital format?

If the source is encrypted (via DCSS or whatever) breaking the encryption is illegal, whether or not you bought the physical disc

What you 'own' is a piece of plastic - the contents of that are only licensed for your use and are not 'your' property

If the source is encrypted (via DCSS or whatever) breaking the encryption is illegal, whether or not you bought the physical disc

What you 'own' is a piece of plastic - the contents of that are only licensed for your use and are not 'your' property

Hi gi7omy,

I'm finding this dvd ripping thing a bit of a grey area. I'm aware that basically the movie maker "owns" the contents of the disc and what you do when you "purchase" a movie is to basically buy a license for you to have and watch the movie.

Thing is, I have seen so many media players on te market that say you can rip your movie collection on to it. How does that work then? are they all breaking the law. As I say, in the uk I've always been aware that you are entitled to make one back up of your "License". I know that you should not "Alter the contents" as it would not be as you purchased it or as the original creator intended it to be, but in order to make the bacj up, some protections need to be removed so as you can do this.

Man this is such a headache and all because of those cheap skate gypsys that pirate them for download. Makes it so much harder for us genuine folk!

Hi gi7omy,

I'm finding this dvd ripping thing a bit of a grey area. I'm aware that basically the movie maker "owns" the contents of the disc and what you do when you "purchase" a movie is to basically buy a license for you to have and watch the movie.

Thing is, I have seen so many media players on te market that say you can rip your movie collection on to it. How does that work then? are they all breaking the law. As I say, in the uk I've always been aware that you are entitled to make one back up of your "License". I know that you should not "Alter the contents" as it would not be as you purchased it or as the original creator intended it to be, but in order to make the bacj up, some protections need to be removed so as you can do this.

Man this is such a headache and all because of those cheap skate gypsys that pirate them for download. Makes it so much harder for us genuine folk!

Do a google search on the Hargreaves Report and you will find that:

"For example, currently in the UK, copyright law prevents you from ripping DVDs, CDs and Blu-ray discs to your computer. And while it is barely enforced, the creation of a digital back-up or MP3 for use in an iPhone, iPad or other mobile device is actually illegal this side of the pond. Therefore, the Hargreaves Report proposes relaxing that stance."

The problem is that if Roxio included the capability (bearing in mind it's an international product although based in the US) they would get hit with that many 'cease and desist' orders the lawyers would have a field day.

Well, thanks for all the posts of assistance, but it's still no clearer...to me.....

So with that in mind, I'll use my friend Google and see some white papers.

To any person reading this "in the future". I suggest you do the same as it would appear tat different countries have varying laws as to "back ups"