• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

cristianb

Video Compression Issues

Question

:unsure:

It may be thinking you want to convert them back to make a single DVD. How much time are you talking about when you add the forth, fifth, etc movie?

Hello I too have the same problem.

I filmed in WMO roxio 7.5 GB and 2.5 GB compresses them automatically. So total loss in quality and home movie that comes out is horrible.

Does anyone know how to change the parameters of roxio leave because the movie in its original 7.5 GB?

thank you very much.

File size means nothing with video onto DVD. You can put up to one hour or video on a single layer DVD at best quality. Any more than that, the video quality will suffer as you have seen.

You cannot put more than 2 hours on a disc.

Have you considered a double or dual layer disc? The times above will almost double.

cristainb, Please don't use "report to moderator" because that is used for reporting bad behavior. If you want to send a private message, use the envelop under the person's screen name. Do NOT send a private message AND post a question at the same time! :o

File size means nothing with video onto DVD. You can put up to one hour or video on a single layer DVD at best quality. Any more than that, the video quality will suffer as you have seen.

You cannot put more than 2 hours on a disc.

Have you considered a double or dual layer disc? The times above will almost double.

cristainb, Please don't use "report to moderator" because that is used for reporting bad behavior. If you want to send a private message, use the envelop under the person's screen name. Do NOT send a private message AND post a question at the same time! :o

Ok i am sorry but it is the first once that use the forum and i do not know the process.

In ref. my question I would like to specify that the video is 30 minutes and the file size is 7.5 GB.

When I load the movie for me to work it roxio automatically reduces the file in 2.5 GB and consequently also the quality, only thing I want to decide myself when burning.

What can you do?

thanks

Ok i am sorry but it is the first once that use the forum and i do not know the process.

In ref. my question I would like to specify that the video is 30 minutes and the file size is 7.5 GB.

When I load the movie for me to work it roxio automatically reduces the file in 2.5 GB and consequently also the quality, only thing I want to decide myself when burning.

What can you do?

thanks

It is hard to guess exactly what you are doing and what applications you are using.

Follow this work process (link).

If that doesn't work for you, then answer these questions.

Also it is bad forum policy (on thos forum ) to post questions in some else's thread. This was separated for that reason.

Edited by sknis

It is hard to guess exactly what you are doing and what applications you are using.

Follow this work process (link).

If that doesn't work for you, then answer these questions.

Also it is bad forum policy (on thos forum ) to post questions in some else's thread. This was separated for that reason.

Dear Sknis,

many thanks for your help and specify.

i read the work progress and i know all the steps. My problem born before when in Video Wave Advance I add the movie.

The movie is an "Videocli.avi" (dim. 7,5 GB) and when i add it in the story board it becomes in (dim. 2,5GB) also when (after saving) i open My DVD for burn it.

my question is: is there any possibility to ask Roxio software of do not change the original dimension ?

In any case please find here specify my aswear ref. to the question required.

Thanks again

Tell us what happened

The more data you give us, the better. The Community's ability to resolve your issue is dependent on being able to understand not just an error code, but what contributed to your project.

•Error code or issue: NO

•What kind of project were you working on: Edit Video Advanced

•What kinds of files were you using and where did you get them? Videoclip.avi

•Did you complete your project or did it stop at a certain point in the process? NO

•Have you ever successfully completed the task that you are contacting us about? NO

•Did you make any changes to your computer recently? (new applications, updates, etc) If so, what? NO

Tell us about your computer

Your computer specifications have a huge impact on software performance and functionality.

•Operating System (including service packs): Win 7 Home Premium - 64 bit

•Make: Packard Bell

•Model: Ixtreme m5722

•Video card: Nvidia

•Processor speed: Intel ® core 2 Quad CPU Q.8300 2,50 GHZ

•RAM: 8 GB

•Free hard drive space: 150 GB

•I last did an operating system update on: NO

Let's go back to the start. You said "I filmed in WMO roxio 7.5 GB and 2.5 GB compresses them automatically. So total loss in quality and home movie that comes out is horrible."

Please explain what you did. I understand the quality is horrible part. Explain what I bolded.

Are you using HD video?

AVI files (except for DivX type) are not compressed so they are large. They will be compressed and will be smaller if you output to a mpg2 file. The mpg2 files is what goes on a DVD. excapt foe HD type projects.

What output are you selecting in Video Wave - output/exports/all/????

Edited by sknis

Let's go back to the start. You said "I filmed in WMO roxio 7.5 GB and 2.5 GB compresses them automatically. So total loss in quality and home movie that comes out is horrible."

Please explain what you did. I understand the quality is horrible part. Explain what I bolded.

Are you using HD video?

AVI files (except for DivX type) are not compressed so they are large. They will be compressed and will be smaller if you output to a mpg2 file. The mpg2 files is what goes on a DVD. excapt foe HD type projects.

What output are you selecting in Video Wave - output/exports/all/????

Dear Sknis,

thank you for your kind reply.

I use for movie a Sony Handycam video 10 years old So has not the HD video. :huh:

Then I use capture video by Roxio connected to the video card via Fireware and i leave the setting in original video.

So can i revome Roxio automatic compression or should I import the file into another format? if you are using Roxio Capture as I do?

Thanks and regards

I still do not understand your sentence " WMO roxio 7.5 GB and 2.5 GB compresses them automatically"

What is WMO? Is that a setting on your camera? What do you mean by roxio7.5gb and 2.5 gb? Creator 2011 (I hope that is what you have) doesn't compress the files automatically. It is dumb and you have to tell it what to do.

Yes, I capture uisng Roxio Capture.

Yes, it sounds like you are capturing as avi (uncompressed) and then you are outputting to a mpg2 file. When you output from Edit Video -Advanced, what output are you chosing. It almost seems like you have selected somethign with a small screen size.

Select to output/export as mpg2 for DVD best quality. That is the best you can expect.

Where are you looking at the video - on your computer, on a DVD, on a different potabledevice?

Please answer all the questions in my replies. It is difficult to make a guess at what your issue is if I only have half the information.

Screen shots are handy if you have a hard time explaining what you are seeing. Read and do this.

cristianb: I think you are overlooking what Steve said in his first reply:

”File size means nothing with video…”

It sounds as though you are capturing in DVD HQ (avi) and that is exactly what you want to do!

That will give you the highest quality files and require about 13GB per Hour of capture…

The reason file size is meaningless is that when you Author a DVD (burn in MyDVD) it will render everything in the Project to a DVD Movie compliant format.

To maintain Quality, you want to use HQ for the setting in MyDVD and plan on 1 hour for a 4.7 GB disc or 2 hours for an 8.7 GB disc.

Get yourself a DVD RW disc or 2 (only come in 4.7 GB) and since they are erasable, try a test burn to see what happens ;)

cristianb: I think you are overlooking what Steve said in his first reply:

”File size means nothing with video…”

It sounds as though you are capturing in DVD HQ (avi) and that is exactly what you want to do!

That will give you the highest quality files and require about 13GB per Hour of capture…

The reason file size is meaningless is that when you Author a DVD (burn in MyDVD) it will render everything in the Project to a DVD Movie compliant format.

To maintain Quality, you want to use HQ for the setting in MyDVD and plan on 1 hour for a 4.7 GB disc or 2 hours for an 8.7 GB disc.

Get yourself a DVD RW disc or 2 (only come in 4.7 GB) and since they are erasable, try a test burn to see what happens ;)

My problem is: Why from a file, captured by video camera through roxio, in avi format with size 7.50 GB after using Edit Video advance and then passed in My DVD (for burning a DVD) IT reduce the file size to 2.50 GB.

In any case I will return asap with pictures; i need sometime because on the computer installed Roxio 2011 there is not the internet connection.

My problem is: Why from a file, captured by video camera through roxio, in avi format with size 7.50 GB after using Edit Video advance and then passed in My DVD (for burning a DVD) IT reduce the file size to 2.50 GB.

In any case I will return asap with pictures; i need sometime because on the computer installed Roxio 2011 there is not the internet connection.

Read this about file compression. If you want to burn the video to a DVD it MUST be an mpg2 file. There should be only a slight difference between the original file and the mpg2 file.

If you are seeing a lot of difference between the avi file and the mpg2 file then you have a different problem. It is NOT the compression ! :angry:

Read and answer the questions I asked in my posts above.

I ask for the last time; I asked three times.

I still do not understand your sentence " WMO roxio 7.5 GB and 2.5 GB compresses them automatically"

What is WMO? What do you mean by roxio7.5gb and 2.5 gb?

Creator 2011 (I hope that is what you have) doesn't compress the files automatically. It is dumb and you have to tell it what to do. If you tell it to make a DVD then it will compress the avi file to mpg2.

How much of a language barrier is there? Are you not reading the replies or don't you understand them?

Read this about file compression. If you want to burn the video to a DVD it MUST be an mpg2 file. There should be only a slight difference between the original file and the mpg2 file.

If you are seeing a lot of difference between the avi file and the mpg2 file then you have a different problem. It is NOT the compression ! :angry:

Read and answer the questions I asked in my posts above.

I ask for the last time; I asked three times.

What is WMO? What do you mean by roxio7.5gb and 2.5 gb?

Creator 2011 (I hope that is what you have) doesn't compress the files automatically. It is dumb and you have to tell it what to do. If you tell it to make a DVD then it will compress the avi file to mpg2.

How much of a language barrier is there? Are you not reading the replies or don't you understand them?

Under the assumption that education is not your strong point do not understand what's so difficult to understand when I say that I captured this file using "Roxio Capture" in avi format from the camera original file size of 7,500,000 KB = 7.5 Giga bytes and when i attached the file in "My DVD" (DVD selection) the size of the file automatically had changed in 2,500,000 KB = 2.5 Giga bytes.

I hope I have been definitely clarify the matter.

Too easy to say to use the MPEG2 format, the quality sucks.

Under the assumption that education is not your strong point do not understand what's so difficult to understand when I say that I captured this file using "Roxio Capture" in avi format from the camera original file size of 7,500,000 KB = 7.5 Giga bytes and when i attached the file in "My DVD" (DVD selection) the size of the file automatically had changed in 2,500,000 KB = 2.5 Giga bytes.

I hope I have been definitely clarify the matter.

Too easy to say to use the MPEG2 format, the quality sucks.

I'll assume that whatever you are using is not translating correctly. I wondered what WMO means.

Let's just forget about that for now. I'm going to take a guess about what you are doing.

1) Also make sure that you are selecting DVD and not SVCD/VCD.

2) In MYDVD (with or without menual) there is a setting quality. I'm going to assume that you are selecting "Fit to Disc". Do not use that setting. It will give you lower resolution and bit rate. Use the High Quality setting as shown below.

3) The dispaly resolution is going to be 4 by 3 and since you are outside the US, you should select PAL. You PAL settings for screen resolution will be slightly different but just make sure you have select HQ.

4) Note: For best practices when you go to burn do not select burn to disc but do select burn (encode) to an Image file. Once that finishes, you can preview it using thefree VLC player (link). If it looks better, you can use the application on the Home page to burn that ISO file to a DVD.

Please let us know if my guess is correct and if this solved the issue.

post-58-084027200 1317039932.jpg

post-58-037662800 1317040637.jpg

post-58-046413400 1317040649.jpg

Edited by sknis

I'll assume that whatever you are using is not translating correctly. I wondered what WMO means.

Let's just forget about that for now. I'm going to take a guess about what you are doing.

1) Also make sure that you are selecting DVD and not SVCD/VCD.

2) In MYDVD (with or without menual) there is a setting quality. I'm going to assume that you are selecting "Fit to Disc". Do not use that setting. It will give you lower resolution and bit rate. Use the High Quality setting as shown below.

3) The dispaly resolution is going to be 4 by 3 and since you are outside the US, you should select PAL. You PAL settings for screen resolution will be slightly different but just make sure you have select HQ.

4) Note: For best practices when you go to burn do not select burn to disc but do select burn (encode) to an Image file. Once that finishes, you can preview it using thefree VLC player (link). If it looks better, you can use the application on the Home page to burn that ISO file to a DVD.

Please let us know if my guess is correct and if this solved the issue.

post-58-084027200 1317039932.jpg

post-58-037662800 1317040637.jpg

post-58-046413400 1317040649.jpg

Hello I'm Italian is correct.

Unfortunately the settings that you suggested have not solved the problem.

I hope to be more clear with the images you attach. I always consider that when I burn the image file first.

• Like 1

Hello I'm Italian is correct.

Unfortunately the settings that you suggested have not solved the problem.

I hope to be more clear with the images you attach. I always consider that when I burn the image file first.

post-98893-005852800 1317196815.png

post-98893-012898000 1317196933.png

post-98893-082661300 1317196952.png

post-98893-067841500 1317196981.png

post-98893-041372300 1317196993.png

Oh yes they do!!! (the settings!)

post-39730-069944600 1317228321.jpg

If you Burn that project either to disc or to as an ISO file, it will be about 2.3/2.4 GB.

Don’t believe that??? Grab a DVD RW disc and do it! ;)

Did you burn (encode) to an image file and watch it on your computer using VLC or a virtual drive? Hoiw did it look.

What are you watching the burned DVD with?

We have been assuming that you are using standard definition video; are you using high definition video?

Did you burn (encode) to an image file and watch it on your computer using VLC or a virtual drive? Hoiw did it look.

What are you watching the burned DVD with?

We have been assuming that you are using standard definition video; are you using high definition video?

After burned the immage i put it on a DVD-RW and then has watched the dvd by windows movie player, but it is the same if i watch it by Roxio movie player.

Please considered that i burn the immage also on a dvd-r but the result is the same.

As per the picture enclosed i use the hight definition for have 2,5 GB, but it is not enought.

So i do not know why an original file in 7,5 GB, then become in 2,5 GB in hight definition; so wich setting i must to change for have the same dimension of the original files ?

Thanks again

:rolleyes:

For a video disc, file size is not important - it is the duration of time which is.

The file sizes do change and that is misleading

Asked again. Did you play the image file on your computer using the free VLC player? That will obviously eliminate the burning to disc part and the playback on your DVD player as part of the problem.

Confirm that you are selecting DVD and not VCD or SVCD as the type of project in MYDVD. Those woill give you lousy looking video when played back - anywhere.

Asked again. Did you play the image file on your computer using the free VLC player? That will obviously eliminate the burning to disc part and the playback on your DVD player as part of the problem.

Confirm that you are selecting DVD and not VCD or SVCD as the type of project in MYDVD. Those woill give you lousy looking video when played back - anywhere.

No I have not installed the VLC player because if I understand it is only used to read any type of disc and part of it by removing all codecs; so the next step to burning.

I also confirm that the selection in My DVD is only ever allow "DVD" and not VCD or SVCD because I must see on any type of DVD player (computer, dvd player for tv ... etc.)

VLC does not remove codecs - it adds any that are needed.

It is just a player which can handle more types than Windows

Cristianb,

The reason for the loss of quality is shown in your post, #16.

You are recording your clip at 28208 Kbps in high definition

post-208-089514100 1317334836.jpg

but Video-DVDs cannot hold data streams faster than about 9000 Kbps [9Mbps] [see "data rate" in Wikipedia]

post-208-069881500 1317335029.jpg

. . . so your clip has to be compressed to 9/28 of the original size, or around 2.5 GB, to make it work on a Video-DVD.

There is no setting you can change in the program to make this better. If you want a better data rate you would have to move to something better than Video-DVD. Blu-Ray perhaps?

Brendon

I thought that we asked/discussed that in Post 7 and 8. The OP said it was not HD video.

Please excuse me if I've used the wrong term for it, Steve.

According to his screen clip it's filmed at 28028 Kbps, and that's about 3x times the data rate of ordinary Video-DVD.