• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Problem With Skips After Burning

Toney-Mulhollan

Question

Dear Forum,

I'm running Toast 11.0.4 on a MAC Pro (Lion 10.7.1) with 16 gig ram, etc. I'm burning .mov files (1280 x 720). When I look at the .mov files they are perfect. But after burning them to a DVD (DVD-Video) they have sections where the video has very small skips or jumps. Nothing support has told me has helped. They had me do a clean install and then to burn at the slowest rate. Whether I burn six short videos (3 minutes each) or just burn one, they skip (In the same place). Please advise.

10 answers to this question

Yes, it is 24 fps. Does that make a difference?

It shouldn't make a difference and it didn't in the past, but I've read other posts here about similar issues and all are 24 fps sources. I think Toast's MPEG 2 encoder is converting everything to 30 fps (or 29.97) and doing that badly. As a test, go to the convert window and export a clip to a modified AppleTV setting. You do this by clicking the Convert button and then clicking the Device button and scrolling to the bottom of the list to choose New Custom Profile. Now change the Frame rate from Automatic to 29.97. When that is done check how it plays. If smooth then add it to the Toast Video window with DVD video selected as the format. Choose Save as Disc Image. Mount the disc image and view how it looks with DVD Player.

I don't have a 24 fps video source to do this checking so I don't know what might be the result. Let me know. You can alert Roxio to the issue by using the Feedback link in Toast Help. After you get back to me with the result from this experiment I'll also notify them.

It shouldn't make a difference and it didn't in the past, but I've read other posts here about similar issues and all are 24 fps sources. I think Toast's MPEG 2 encoder is converting everything to 30 fps (or 29.97) and doing that badly. As a test, go to the convert window and export a clip to a modified AppleTV setting. You do this by clicking the Convert button and then clicking the Device button and scrolling to the bottom of the list to choose New Custom Profile. Now change the Frame rate from Automatic to 29.97. When that is done check how it plays. If smooth then add it to the Toast Video window with DVD video selected as the format. Choose Save as Disc Image. Mount the disc image and view how it looks with DVD Player.

I don't have a 24 fps video source to do this checking so I don't know what might be the result. Let me know. You can alert Roxio to the issue by using the Feedback link in Toast Help. After you get back to me with the result from this experiment I'll also notify them.

Dear DG,

Thanks for the information. It was very helpful and easy to follow. I did exactly step-by-step as you suggested. Had the same result. I double-checked the original .mov file and it is smooth as can be. So far I get skipping no matter what I've done. Only the video skips, the sound is the same as the original. The original .mov file is 1280 x 720. Codecs: H.264, AAC. Color Profile: HD (1-1-1_ Total bit rate: 9,836.

If you have any other possible fixes let me know. This is somewhat frustrating as I've never had this happen. I'm running a MAC Pro tower, with quad processors, with 16 gigs of ram. I'm running MAC OS Lion 10.7.1.

Thanks for your help. Toney M.

tsantee,

The file is only 6 minutes. I've uploaded to my server. No password needed.

http://public.me.com/toneyipibooks

Let me know if you have any clues about solving the problem.

Toney M.

I've tried every trick I know and there is no way I've been able to stop the stuttering in the video. My opinion is the problem is the source video itself. The places where the significant stuttering occurs in the encoded video DVD are also places where there is slight stuttering in the source video. That may be due to dropped frames in the source. When the video is mpeg 2 encoded it has periodic full frames with the adjacent frames having references to that full frame. I think that's why the stutter gets exaggerated when mpeg 2 encoded. Among the things I tried was converting the video to DVCPRO50 which is only a 2-1 compression. I also converted it to 20.97 fps and converted the audio to 48 khz PCM. This should have resulted in the smoothest possible video DVD, but it had the same stutters in the same places after encoding to mpeg 2 by Toast.

My belief is this is not a problem with the source being 24 fps but with the source having some other problem; possibly dropped frames in its encoding. I'm sorry but I can't find a way to make it any better.

Dear DG,

Thanks for the information. It was very helpful and easy to follow. I did exactly step-by-step as you suggested. Had the same result. I double-checked the original .mov file and it is smooth as can be. So far I get skipping no matter what I've done. Only the video skips, the sound is the same as the original. The original .mov file is 1280 x 720. Codecs: H.264, AAC. Color Profile: HD (1-1-1_ Total bit rate: 9,836.

If you have any other possible fixes let me know. This is somewhat frustrating as I've never had this happen. I'm running a MAC Pro tower, with quad processors, with 16 gigs of ram. I'm running MAC OS Lion 10.7.1.

Thanks for your help. Toney M.

Thanks much for your help!

TM

We had a very similar issue. We have around 30 MacPro systems here, with perviously FCP6, Adobe CS3 Prod Prem, Toast.... a lot of stuff on all systems, all, for the most part, identical systems (some have Aja Kona 3). Previously we were using Toast 8. I just upgraded all systems about 1.5 months ago (including adding 5 new 12core MacPro's), now they all have identical boot drives (I built the perfect master and cloned that to all systems), we upgraded to FCP7 (FCStudio 3), Adobe CS 5.5 and Toast 11.

Now we have a problem that we never had before when we burn a Toast 11 DVD from our videos, that include video stutter (field order bad) and frozen video frames played.

We never had to change the settings of Toast 8 (we used the Automatic settings/Defaults) to get the results we need, which is a quick, simple, reasonable quality preview DVD.

With Toast 11, we tried changing the field dominance and other settings, with different results on each project.... but still video stutter and frozen video.

SOOOOO, we tried reinstalling Toast 8 to see what would happen, and now we're good again!?

So, now we are back to using Toast 8 and getting the same, good quality results, with the Default settings.

But, why does Toast 11 not work?

Thanks! Maybe this helps?

We had a very similar issue. We have around 30 MacPro systems here, with perviously FCP6, Adobe CS3 Prod Prem, Toast.... a lot of stuff on all systems, all, for the most part, identical systems (some have Aja Kona 3). Previously we were using Toast 8. I just upgraded all systems about 1.5 months ago (including adding 5 new 12core MacPro's), now they all have identical boot drives (I built the perfect master and cloned that to all systems), we upgraded to FCP7 (FCStudio 3), Adobe CS 5.5 and Toast 11.

Now we have a problem that we never had before when we burn a Toast 11 DVD from our videos, that include video stutter (field order bad) and frozen video frames played.

We never had to change the settings of Toast 8 (we used the Automatic settings/Defaults) to get the results we need, which is a quick, simple, reasonable quality preview DVD.

With Toast 11, we tried changing the field dominance and other settings, with different results on each project.... but still video stutter and frozen video.

SOOOOO, we tried reinstalling Toast 8 to see what would happen, and now we're good again!?

So, now we are back to using Toast 8 and getting the same, good quality results, with the Default settings.

But, why does Toast 11 not work?

Thanks! Maybe this helps?

Very curious result. The tests I did on the OP's video were with Toast 10, 11 and Popcorn 4 on an Intel iMac running OS 10.6.8. I don't have earlier versions installed on that Mac but it may still be on my G5 iMac. I'm presuming from your post that it doesn't matter what the specs are for your videos. Still, what is typical for your specs?

Archived