• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Video Copy & Convert Tivo Files

whitty3

Question

Hello,

I am unsure what the best process is for converting tivo files. I don't have a wide screen television. Basically I have a bunch of saved shows on my tivo box that I would like to trim out the commericials and save them on my computer for later viewing on tivo if needed. The files on Tivo are about ~350 meg but when I convert them they end up being significantly larger. They were recorded on tivo in basic quality.

Is the conversion resolution setting 480/360? What frame rate is optimal? What file type is best?

The edit mode for the video's is very, very tedious and slow. Trimming the beginning portion of the show is relatively easy, but trimming the end of the show takes absolutely forever. I am not sure my computers are up to the task of running this software.

Thoughts on how to best approach this process?

Don

3 answers to this question

What computer do you have? Those files are short. I would expect about 5G per hour.

Did you watch the video in the "Learning Center" at the bottom of the Home Page? Here is a pdf file on the subject.

When you go to burn the files to a disc, remember you will get only about one hour of good quality video on a DVD; up to 2 hours on a double or dual layer DVD. You could also use DivX if your DVD player will play those if you want to get more on a DVD.

I run an older version of Adobe Creative suite which doesn't have nearly the same performance issues. My computer isn't up to the task perhaps of running this roxio program so I will have to find something else or not bother altogether. The PDF file while a decent introduction doesn't have the level of detail I require. Thank you for your help in responding though.

If you would answer the questions we can offer some advice based on our experances... Note how we list our PC Specs in our signature block.

It would also help to know the LENGTH of the files and the specific program within the Suite you are using.

For example, in either Video Copy & Convert or VideoWave, if I load a 2 hour long clip, it takes about 4 seconds to go to the end and trim off a portion. ;)

Hello,

I am unsure what the best process is for converting tivo files. I don't have a wide screen television. Basically I have a bunch of saved shows on my tivo box that I would like to trim out the commericials and save them on my computer for later viewing on tivo if needed. The files on Tivo are about ~350 meg but when I convert them they end up being significantly larger. They were recorded on tivo in basic quality.

Is the conversion resolution setting 480/360? What frame rate is optimal? What file type is best?

The edit mode for the video's is very, very tedious and slow. Trimming the beginning portion of the show is relatively easy, but trimming the end of the show takes absolutely forever. I am not sure my computers are up to the task of running this software.

Thoughts on how to best approach this process?

Don

What computer do you have? Those files are short. I would expect about 5G per hour.

Did you watch the video in the "Learning Center" at the bottom of the Home Page? Here is a pdf file on the subject.

When you go to burn the files to a disc, remember you will get only about one hour of good quality video on a DVD; up to 2 hours on a double or dual layer DVD. You could also use DivX if your DVD player will play those if you want to get more on a DVD.

Archived