Problem With Hp Running Win7

walt n

Question

I've got a HP laptop running windows 7 with 4gigs of ram and 30 gigs free space. Computer is slightly more than a year old. Last week I purchased Roxio Easy VHS to DVD, the most recent edition ( build 201B23A enu)

I have the same problem as a previous poster. When I try to record from my VCR the VCR is not recognized, instead my webcam is turned on. I get sound from the VCR that's all.

I've tried new cables to no avail. I've disabled my webcam to no avail.

Admittedly,I didn't go through the aseptic process of installation cdanteekdoes. I just grabbed the disc and ran it without having the USB device plugged in and I could possibly have generic drivers installed instead of the proper ones.

When I look in device manager I have an entry for a USB 2861 device, and what is called a USB capture device, nothing named Roxio.

When I look in add,remove programs I have only one entry " Roxio easy vhs to dvd", I do not have an entry "Roxio video capture USB driver.

I hope I've given you enough information for you to get me straightened out as I am not getting much help from Roxio tech support.

Thanks in advance Walt

20 answers to this question

If your webcam is disabled how does it come on?

That is the problem!

The webcam doesn't come on when it is disabled! Never did never will. After seeing the webcam go on I then disabled it and tried to run the application again. This time I did not get a video signal at all. Didn't think I had to give a step by step account of this.

I still believe the problem lies within the USB device, but I will try other alternatives in hopes of resolving this issue. As things stand now the device is useless to me.

The webcam doesn't come on when it is disabled! Never did never will. After seeing the webcam go on I then disabled it and tried to run the application again. This time I did not get a video signal at all. Didn't think I had to give a step by step account of this.

I still believe the problem lies within the USB device, but I will try other alternatives in hopes of resolving this issue. As things stand now the device is useless to me.

We aren't watching over your shoulder! How do we know what you've done or not done?

My Easy VHS to DVD in W-7 x64..

When your all hooked up and no signal is the VHS running?

post-97-092199400 1316958960.jpg

post-97-023418200 1316958960.jpg

post-97-056691700 1316958958.jpg

And it seems as though all my problems have not been solved. I tried to copy a new tape today when I turned on my computer. I installed a blank disc,put in the tape (all this with the webcam turned off) and Roxio couldn't find a video source.

I looked into device manager and "Roxio video capture USB" wasn't there. I had to go into add remove programs where I found that entry and clicked on repair Then inserted the VHS to DVD disc and repaired the entry. I could then copy the tape. I haven't time to try another tape. Tomorrow I will. It appears that the driver uninstalls when I turn off the computer. That's only a guess right now. I'll know more tomorrow

Yes, the VHS is running and I can watch the tape on the TV as it plays, just am not receiving the video signal. If I have the webcam enabled Roxio turns it on and I get to watch myself. If I disable the webcam I do not get any video at all. Just a blank screen where the video should appear.

If I look in device manager under sound,etc. I have an entry for a USB capture device and a USB 2861 device. I do not have an entry for Roxio video capture USB! In add remove programs I have only one entry for Roxio Easy VHS to DVD, nothing for the drivers.

It would seem to me that the drivers did not install properly.

Yes, the VHS is running and I can watch the tape on the TV as it plays, just am not receiving the video signal. If I have the webcam enabled Roxio turns it on and I get to watch myself. If I disable the webcam I do not get any video at all. Just a blank screen where the video should appear.

If I look in device manager under sound,etc. I have an entry for a USB capture device and a USB 2861 device. I do not have an entry for Roxio video capture USB! In add remove programs I have only one entry for Roxio Easy VHS to DVD, nothing for the drivers.

It would seem to me that the drivers did not install properly.

If neither show when the Roxio USB Capture Device is unplugged "USB capture device and a USB 2861 device" continue below!

With the device plugged in right click " USB capture device and a USB 2861 device" click uninstall unplug the device and reboot the pc.

Navigate to this folder on your disc. Pick x86 or x64 what your operating system is, then double click the msi and run the install. Reboot the pc and try the Roxio Capture Device again.

post-97-067624100 1317045406.jpg

post-97-016392400 1317045405.jpg

If I am running a registry cleaner I am unaware of it. I use Bit Defender for my AV and don't remember ever seeing anything referring to a registry cleaner. However, when I started up my computer this morning the first thing I did was to go into device manager to look foran entry for "Roxio video capture USB" and it was not there. I then plugged in the device and it appeared. Very possibly all my problems stemmed from not having the device connected when I ran the initial install. I don't have time to copy a tape now, I will do that later. Possibly i have solved my problem.

I will be back later and let you know.

By the way those screen shots showing what should appear were very helpful, thanks again

Walt

If I am running a registry cleaner I am unaware of it. I use Bit Defender for my AV and don't remember ever seeing anything referring to a registry cleaner. However, when I started up my computer this morning the first thing I did was to go into device manager to look foran entry for "Roxio video capture USB" and it was not there. I then plugged in the device and it appeared. Very possibly all my problems stemmed from not having the device connected when I ran the initial install. I don't have time to copy a tape now, I will do that later. Possibly i have solved my problem.

I will be back later and let you know.

By the way those screen shots showing what should appear were very helpful, thanks again

Walt

The two entries in Device Manager under Sound Video and Game Controllers will never show when the Roxio USB Device is not plugged in. It should always show when the Roxio USB Device is plugged in to a USB Port on the PC.

It's important to be sure that the computer you plan to install Bit Defender on meets the minimum system requirements. Otherwise, Bit Defender will not be installed or, if installed, it may not work properly and could cause system slowdowns and instability.

Bit Defender Registry Cleaner

A system can also get slow if a high amount of unnecessary information is stored in the Windows Registry. Many applications write keys in the Windows Registry at installation time. When removing such applications, some of their associated registry keys are not deleted and they slow down your system or even cause it to be unstable. The same happens when deleting shortcuts and corrupt drivers.

To improve the performance of your system you can use the BitDefender Registry Cleaner to scan the Windows Registry and to delete the invalid registry keys.

1. In the Intermediate View, go to the Tune-Up Tab and find Registry Cleaner in the Quick Tasks. The four-step guide will take you through the cleaning process.

2. In the Expert View, go to the Tune-Up Tab, and click Run Now under Registry Cleaner. The same registry cleaner wizard will start

Well it has one but I don't use it and don't know if it runs automatically on your machine or not?

What we do know, registry cleaners have broke Roxio installations before!

With the device plugged in I deleted both files as you instructed. I then unplugged the device and restarted the computer. I am not sure where to look for the "msi" file. I don't have the Videocap USB x64 or x86 files you show. If it helps I have a 64 bit system, any further directions ?

With the device plugged in I deleted both files as you instructed. I then unplugged the device and restarted the computer. I am not sure where to look for the "msi" file. I don't have the Videocap USB x64 or x86 files you show. If it helps I have a 64 bit system, any further directions ?

When you look at the disc in my Computer what do you see?

When I try to record from my VCR the VCR is not recognized, instead my webcam is turned on. I get sound from the VCR that's all.

I've tried new cables to no avail. I've disabled my webcam to no avail.

If your webcam is disabled how does it come on?

That is the problem!

How about that, you learn something new all the time. Thanks for that info on Bit Defender. If I don't have to I won't fool with registry cleaner.

This afternoon I was able to copy a tape without any problems. I stated before that I couldn't fast forward on the disc. Now I can. Seems as if it's working well enough for my purposes. Thanks a lot guys!

Walt

I cannot respond to that question I haven't any idea on where to find "my computer".

If I click on "computer and then click on local disc C it brings up a list of files among which are "program files (x86) within which is the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD file. I need more help to answer your question.

I cannot respond to that question I haven't any idea on where to find "my computer".

If I click on "computer and then click on local disc C it brings up a list of files among which are "program files (x86) within which is the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD file. I need more help to answer your question.

Put the Easy VHS Disc in a Drive then open Computer and open/explore the Disc.

Does it look like this pic?

post-97-083675900 1317132160.jpg

I have solved my problem for the most part. I uninstalled the application since I never had an entry for Roxio video capture USB in device manager.

After that I disabled my webcam. Next I plugged in the device,inserted the setup disc and ran the install. I did that by opening up the folder and opening the file "VIDEOCAP_USB_X64" Then I opened the .msi file and ran the install.

Everything worked I had video on my computer and was able to copy the tape. Now the only problem I have found is that I cannot fast forward on the disc, it will play but I haven't the ability to go forward or backward on the disc. Is there a workaround for that?

And thanks for your patience and advice.

Walt

I have done as you instructed. The files are the same as in your picture. I double clicked the .msi file, ran the install. I was given the choice of installing, repairing, or removing. I chose to run the repair. All that happened was it installed the two drivers that I had previously deleted. I then plugged in the Roxio device and ran the tape and the program opened up my webcamand showed me a video of myself.

I chose repair thinking it was correct, guess it wasn't. I haven't the time now but when I do I will uninstall the drivers again and run an install as you have instructed. I looked into device manager when the device was plugged in and the two drivers I'm speaking of had been installed. However there was not an entry for Roxio video capture USB.

I have done as you instructed. The files are the same as in your picture. I double clicked the .msi file, ran the install. I was given the choice of installing, repairing, or removing. I chose to run the repair. All that happened was it installed the two drivers that I had previously deleted. I then plugged in the Roxio device and ran the tape and the program opened up my webcamand showed me a video of myself.

I chose repair thinking it was correct, guess it wasn't. I haven't the time now but when I do I will uninstall the drivers again and run an install as you have instructed. I looked into device manager when the device was plugged in and the two drivers I'm speaking of had been installed. However there was not an entry for Roxio video capture USB.

Sounds like Windows is installing a generic USB Capture Driver!

I thought I explained your webcam has to be disabled? That means when your installing the drivers, not repairing them, after you uninstalled them from Device Manager. And Your webcam has to be disabled before you try using the Roxio USb Capture Device. When you reboot the PC you have to check and see if the webcam is disabled if not disable it.

Archived