Make Toast Stop Gathering All My Media Files

EricScho

Question

I just installed Toast Titanium. Even on a modern Macbook Pro, with lots of free memory, it takes forever to launch and get ready for action. And by "ready for action", I mean nearly constant spinning cursor as I try to do pretty much anything in the app.

I'm guessing part of the issue might be my huge media file collection which Toast kindly and automatically draws into its clutches, without my ever having asked it to do so, every single time it launches.

I've poked around the prefs some, and I can't see any way to have Toast NOT do this (awesome!)

Can someone tell me if there's a way to make this behavior stop?

2 answers to this question

Ok, a bit of research reveals that it's the MEDIA BROWSER. It's there to HELP me. It can't be turned off, though a quick web search reveals dozens, maybe hundreds, of users exasperated by the feature and its slowness.

Ah, imprisoned in lowest-denominator user-friendliness is such a great place to be. Thanks, Roxio!

Ok, a bit of research reveals that it's the MEDIA BROWSER. It's there to HELP me. It can't be turned off, though a quick web search reveals dozens, maybe hundreds, of users exasperated by the feature and its slowness.

Ah, imprisoned in lowest-denominator user-friendliness is such a great place to be. Thanks, Roxio!

You can select Hide Media Browser from the Window menu, but I doubt if the browser is causing the slow launch. When Toast launches it looks for any optical disc burners that are connected to the Mac. That usually takes about five seconds, although I've never timed it. When do you see the spinning ball? Do you have any external video devices connected? Something to test is starting your Mac in Safe Mode and seeing if Toast still takes a long time to launch. If it doesn't then there is something outside of Toast that's the problem. Let me know what you find out

Archived