keza

Slideshow Portrait Pics

Question

Just upgraded to Toast 11 and dragged around 800 pics onto toaat for slideshow and burn to DVD for playing on TV.

Everything works fine, with chapters etc when playing on the DVD player.

That is until I encountered the first portrait pic which has been rotated to landscape. Sad to say so have all the rest.

The DVD took around an hour to burn so not happy at mo.

Originals are portrait in Preview on Mac so no problems there.

Seems all portrait pics are rotaited when converting them through Toast 11.

Cant find anything in Toast edit mode to rotate them.

Is this a known bug or am I missing something.

Would appreciate any help with this - thanks.

9 answers to this question

I just did a test and the portrait photos remained in that mode. Yours is the first time I've heard of this problem. When you click the edit button next to the slide show in the Toast window do the portrait photos look right in the window that appears? You dragged these in from the Finder. Were they edited with any application or were they copied there from your camera?

I'm very puzzled why the orientation is correct in Preview but Toast doesn't see it that way. If there's more info that you can think of the share maybe we can figure this out.

I just did a test and the portrait photos remained in that mode. Yours is the first time I've heard of this problem. When you click the edit button next to the slide show in the Toast window do the portrait photos look right in the window that appears? You dragged these in from the Finder. Were they edited with any application or were they copied there from your camera?

I'm very puzzled why the orientation is correct in Preview but Toast doesn't see it that way. If there's more info that you can think of the share maybe we can figure this out.

Thanks for test.

The photos were dragged manually to desktop folder from 16GB SanDisk card inserted into iMac running OS 10.6.8.

Photos then split into 15 folders based on alphabetical events, then dropped into Toast Media window.

So all photos were originals and there has been no intervening editing process with another app.

When the event folders were dropped into the Toast Media window, they ended up as 28 'My Slideshow x' folders numbered sequentially from 1-28.

Understand extra folders based on 99 files per slideshow limit.

Then re-named My Slideshow folders based on original event content but added numeric extension where required - eg a1, a2 etc.

Noted that the portrait photos were showing as landscape in the edit mode but given they were portrait in the Toast Media preview window, and there was no rotation option, assumed they would be corrected with burn process.

However ended up with edit portrait version, as opposed to media preview version.

post-99118-011639900 1317377399.jpg

Thanks for test.

The photos were dragged manually to desktop folder from 16GB SanDisk card inserted into iMac running OS 10.6.8.

Photos then split into 15 folders based on alphabetical events, then dropped into Toast Media window.

So all photos were originals and there has been no intervening editing process with another app.

When the event folders were dropped into the Toast Media window, they ended up as 28 'My Slideshow x' folders numbered sequentially from 1-28.

Understand extra folders based on 99 files per slideshow limit.

Then re-named My Slideshow folders based on original event content but added numeric extension where required - eg a1, a2 etc.

Noted that the portrait photos were showing as landscape in the edit mode but given they were portrait in the Toast Media preview window, and there was no rotation option, assumed they would be corrected with burn process.

However ended up with edit portrait version, as opposed to media preview version.

I don't know why Toast isn't recognizing the portrait orientation. Since those are already in portrait mode in the Finder your camera must be set to automatically change the orientation of portrait photos. Something about doing this in the camera doesn't seem to be recognized by Toast. All I can suggest is to open the photos in Preview. Go to each portrait image and change its orientation to landscape and then back to portrait. When you quit Preview the change will be applied to the photo. I'm confident Toast will get it right after being set in Preview.

I wish this extra step was unnecessary but I can't think of any other easy fix for the problem. You may need to empty the Roxio Converted Items folder because Toast may think it has already encoded those photos even though the orientation (in Toast) has changed.

I don't know why Toast isn't recognizing the portrait orientation. Since those are already in portrait mode in the Finder your camera must be set to automatically change the orientation of portrait photos. Something about doing this in the camera doesn't seem to be recognized by Toast. All I can suggest is to open the photos in Preview. Go to each portrait image and change its orientation to landscape and then back to portrait. When you quit Preview the change will be applied to the photo. I'm confident Toast will get it right after being set in Preview.

I wish this extra step was unnecessary but I can't think of any other easy fix for the problem. You may need to empty the Roxio Converted Items folder because Toast may think it has already encoded those photos even though the orientation (in Toast) has changed.

Thanks for that and possible solution.

However don't want it to be an ongoing issue for future client slideshows from the camera, so have done some testing.

Unsure at mo wether the camera/card is the problem so seeking clarification from Canon re camera orientation and SDHC output.

Somehow I doubt it, because portrait orientation works fine with all the photo apps I am using, along with web/print output.

In meantime tried importing same pics into iPhoto, created album and used it for the slideshow. Portrait orientation fine.

So then set up new Toast DVD project and dragged original photos straight to the Video DVD content area and all portrait pics were landscape.

Seems that when using a SDHC card with a Canon 60D camera, it does not allow for portrait orientation in Toast 11.

According to the Toast 11 manual, pp88, clause 5, this is standard procedure.

5. Add photo or video files to the disc by dragging and dropping them into the Content Area from your hard disk or the Media Browser.

Don't know where the problem is - ie Toast or the camera/card.

Whatever - seems iPhoto has driver for the 60D and recognises portrait orientation and acceptable for Toast slideshow.

So will continue to use iPhoto as solution until I find or hear of alternative.

I see this topic has aged some but I just ran into the same issue with T11.1(1072). I burned a DVD that included both video and a slideshow AND the original JPEG files for the slideshow. Some of the photos in the slideshow were in landscape when they should have been portrait. HOWEVER, when I opened the original files burned onto the DVD the orientation was correct as was the orientation of files stored on the MAC from which they were obtained.

There is also no way to rotate the photos when previewing them in the toast edit function. This needs to be fixed as it makes the slideshow function useless.

I see this topic has aged some but I just ran into the same issue with T11.1(1072). I burned a DVD that included both video and a slideshow AND the original JPEG files for the slideshow. Some of the photos in the slideshow were in landscape when they should have been portrait. HOWEVER, when I opened the original files burned onto the DVD the orientation was correct as was the orientation of files stored on the MAC from which they were obtained.

There is also no way to rotate the photos when previewing them in the toast edit function. This needs to be fixed as it makes the slideshow function useless.

Maybe you might want to help troubleshoot this further. You say that some of the portrait photos appeared landscape. Does that mean that some are correct? Is there anything you can think of that makes the ones that appeared landscape different from the ones that didn't? Are they from a different source? Since they are originals I'm guessing you copied them from the Finder. Do you use any photo library application such as iPhoto? Toast's Media Browser can access photos from iPhoto, Aperture and Lightroom via its Photos tab. I wonder if doing that would change the outcome.

My camera doesn't automatically rotate the portrait photos so I have to do that on the Mac after import. Are the ones that didn't display correctly from a camera that automatically rotates them?

I agree this problem makes the slideshow feature useless when this happens, but I don't expect further Toast updates. Therefore we need to figure out if there is a way to assure the photos are displayed properly. Maybe you could send me some of the photos that didn't work so I can see what happens with my Mac and if I can figure out a workaround.

The photos are a mix. All the photos, except one, are export "Original or Current" from iPhoto after importing them from my Canon video camera. One photo in landscape comes from my iPhone and was not imported to iPhoto. All the photos are in a folder and were dragged into Toast as a group. The Canon photos are a mix of landscape and portrait. Some were taken in dual mode while shooting video (landscape) and the others in manual mode as still photos. One photo from the camera in portrait was edited in iPhoto and it appears in the correct orientation in the slideshow. All the other portrait photos appear incorrectly as landscape. As stated previous the originals (toast option) all appear in correct orientation when the DVD folder is opened on a Windows PC.

So a work around for photos from iPhoto is to edit the photo and export "current" and then drag it into toast. Curious what iPhoto does to an edited photo, beside the obvious edits, that toast can recognize the correct orientation.

Thanks for the info. Something that may be a shortcut is to put the iPhoto pictures you want into an iPhoto album. After doing that launch Toast and choose the photos tab in the Toast Media Browser. There you'll see your iPhoto album of pictures to add to the main Toast window. I wonder if going through the media browser offsets the need for exporting from iPhoto. If so it avoids the need to save duplicate photos on the hard drive.

Picking from an iPhoto album does preserve orientation. By using cmd-click to select the photos I want I do not have to create a separate album. I can then edit the toast slideshow and "ADD" other pics as long as the orientation is landscape. I added the iPhone pic from a folder that I had exported and was not part of iPhoto. I noticed you can change the order of the pictures in the slideshow but you can only move a pic down in the order not up. Another BUG!!

I am going to try to point iPhoto at that external folder and see what happens.