rayslope

Toast 11 Constantly Crashing

Question

My toast 11 is constantly crashing (Toast not responding) and I am having to force quit... when I click convert video TIVO then try to select the tv show to convert I get the spinning wheel and I am not able to select a tv show to drag to be converted.....I am so frustrated.....Previously I was able to convert shows.......I have reinstalled the program with absolutely no success......

I have the most current toast updates.......I am using LION on a brand new Imac only a month old.

Any ideas???

Edited by rayslope

Toast crashes are usually a result of conflicts with third-party codecs in one of the Library>QuickTime folders. It's hard to even get to the libraries with Lion but please take a look. If your new Mac doesn't have anything transferred over from an older Mac then you probably don't have any third-party codecs. The test is to drag the codecs (that don't have Apple in the name) from the folder and relaunch Toast. If all works then start dragging them back until it quits working after relaunching.

You might also try starting up in Safe Mode to see if that fixes the issue. If it does then there definitely is a conflict with some third-party tool in one of the libraries.

Toast crashes are usually a result of conflicts with third-party codecs in one of the Library>QuickTime folders. It's hard to even get to the libraries with Lion but please take a look. If your new Mac doesn't have anything transferred over from an older Mac then you probably don't have any third-party codecs. The test is to drag the codecs (that don't have Apple in the name) from the folder and relaunch Toast. If all works then start dragging them back until it quits working after relaunching.

You might also try starting up in Safe Mode to see if that fixes the issue. If it does then there definitely is a conflict with some third-party tool in one of the libraries.

Thanks I just tried to get to the library quicktime folders but was unable to locate it......I am new to the Mac as well as LION obviously.......

Thanks I just tried to get to the library quicktime folders but was unable to locate it......I am new to the Mac as well as LION obviously.......

If you didn't transfer anything over from an older Mac then you don't have anything to look for. The way to get to your user library is to hold the option key down when in the Finder and click on the Go menu. "Library" then appears in the drop list to select. There are two other libraries: the root level and the System library. There is almost never a reason to muck about in the System Library but third-party stuff does get put in the root library at times. The way to access those libraries is to select Computer from the Go menu and then choose "Computer". Now double-click on the name of your Mac's hard drive. You will see a Library folder which is the root level library.

But assuming none of this is the reason for the problem you're having, lets start over.

You are in the Toast Convert window. You click the Video button in the Media Browser and choose TiVo. The videos you transferred using TiVo Transfer appear in the browser window. When you click on a video in the browser you get the spinning wheel and have to force quit Toast. Have you tried selecting the video in TiVo Transfer and clicking the Toast It button on the lower left of the TiVo Transfer window?

One thing you should do is trash the Toast plist and prefs files in your User>Library>Preferences folder and relaunch Toast. It may be that one of them is corrupted and having Toast create new ones will cure the problem.

You might also shut down your Mac, wait about 30 seconds and restart it. Funny how that sometimes makes a difference.

If you didn't transfer anything over from an older Mac then you don't have anything to look for. The way to get to your user library is to hold the option key down when in the Finder and click on the Go menu. "Library" then appears in the drop list to select. There are two other libraries: the root level and the System library. There is almost never a reason to muck about in the System Library but third-party stuff does get put in the root library at times. The way to access those libraries is to select Computer from the Go menu and then choose "Computer". Now double-click on the name of your Mac's hard drive. You will see a Library folder which is the root level library.

But assuming none of this is the reason for the problem you're having, lets start over.

You are in the Toast Convert window. You click the Video button in the Media Browser and choose TiVo. The videos you transferred using TiVo Transfer appear in the browser window. When you click on a video in the browser you get the spinning wheel and have to force quit Toast. Have you tried selecting the video in TiVo Transfer and clicking the Toast It button on the lower left of the TiVo Transfer window?

One thing you should do is trash the Toast plist and prefs files in your User>Library>Preferences folder and relaunch Toast. It may be that one of them is corrupted and having Toast create new ones will cure the problem.

You might also shut down your Mac, wait about 30 seconds and restart it. Funny how that sometimes makes a difference.

Wow those are great suggestions. Let me try that. What I did do so far was create a totally different profile on the computer and so far it's working without a problem. I do not really like this option as I would prefer just to have 1 profile on my computer.

Edited by tsantee
Fixed the quote

Wow those are great suggestions. Let me try that. What I did do so far was create a totally different profile on the computer and so far it's working without a problem. I do not really like this option as I would prefer just to have 1 profile on my computer.

The new profile would have different preference files so that's probably the issue.

The new profile would have different preference files so that's probably the issue.

I have tried everything so far. No luck. Now I am about to try to delete the plist for toast.

I have tried everything so far. No luck. Now I am about to try to delete the plist for toast.

I deleted the plist still same issue ....so frustrating.

I deleted the plist still same issue ....so frustrating.

Drat. It has to be something in your user library. That's what's different between the two user profiles. Did you trash both the Toast plist and Toast prefs files? Have you installed any other non-Apple video or audio-related applications?

Drat. It has to be something in your user library. That's what's different between the two user profiles. Did you trash both the Toast plist and Toast prefs files? Have you installed any other non-Apple video or audio-related applications?

I know I definitely deleted the toast plist not sure about the prefs Let me go do that again. Thanks

I know I definitely deleted the toast plist not sure about the prefs Let me go do that again. Thanks

I deleted all the plist and prefs still locks up....toast not respondiing....Apple support even had me delete a bunch of stuff still same issue.

I deleted all the plist and prefs still locks up....toast not respondiing....Apple support even had me delete a bunch of stuff still same issue.

This is a known problem with Toast & TiVo files (you can see other threads on this forum about this very problem). I worked the issue with tech support and after a few weeks my support ticket was closed without a resolution. The impression I'm getting is that it's a known problem but it isn't going to be fixed.

What I personally did was switch to MPEG Streamclip; that worked fine for me.

And as a side note ... that whole sequence of "delete preferences, reinstall your program" thing that is the standard suggestion? For me that's the computer equivalent of having your fuel filter changed ... it has never, EVER for me solved a problem I was having.

This is a known problem with Toast & TiVo files (you can see other threads on this forum about this very problem). I worked the issue with tech support and after a few weeks my support ticket was closed without a resolution. The impression I'm getting is that it's a known problem but it isn't going to be fixed.

And as a side note ... that whole sequence of "delete preferences, reinstall your program" thing that is the standard suggestion? For me that's the computer equivalent of having your fuel filter changed ... it has never, EVER for me solved a problem I was having.

Hey Kenh thank you very much for your reply.....I just finished restoring my computer to an earlier time when it was working properly...so far the program is now working...of course the question is for how long.......Hopefully ROXIO can resolve this problem...

I am interested in the MPEG Streamclip...will look into that.....the whole reason for me having roxio is really so that I can watch tivo tv shows on the go on my ipad.......

Thanks again

kenh, I think this is a different issue. The spinning ball happens when trying to select a video in the TiVo section of the Media Browser. Also, all works when the OP uses Toast in a different user account on his Mac. I believe you're referring to the spinning ball appearing when trying to edit the TiVo videos. You're correct that deleting preferences often makes no difference but there are many instances when it does fix the problem, so it's an easy thing to start with when troubleshooting. I like your analogy with the fuel filter.

I wish I knew what bugs the Roxio engineers have acknowledged and are working to fix. I wish they would publish a list of known issues but they never do. I really want the editing feature to work.

rayslope, there is another thing to try. Click here to download TiVo Decoder. Just put it in your TiVo Recordings folder in your Documents folder. Now drag any of the .tivo files on top of the Tivo Decoder script. When TiVo Decoder no longer appears in the dock it has finished making a copy of the video without the .tivo package. You should be able to drag this .mpg video into Toast. Actually, try dragging the .tivo file into Toast from the Finder to see if that works.

Now that the video is .mpg rather than .tivo it can be edited using MPEG Streamclip which is free but requires Apple's $20 QuickTime MPEG 2 Playback Component. Editing involves marking in and out points and deleting what's between them. When finished editing choose Convert to MPEG from the File menu to save the edited version for use in Toast.

kenh, I think this is a different issue. The spinning ball happens when trying to select a video in the TiVo section of the Media Browser. Also, all works when the OP uses Toast in a different user account on his Mac. I believe you're referring to the spinning ball appearing when trying to edit the TiVo videos. You're correct that deleting preferences often makes no difference but there are many instances when it does fix the problem, so it's an easy thing to start with when troubleshooting. I like your analogy with the fuel filter.

I wish I knew what bugs the Roxio engineers have acknowledged and are working to fix. I wish they would publish a list of known issues but they never do. I really want the editing feature to work.

rayslope, there is another thing to try. Click here to download TiVo Decoder. Just put it in your TiVo Recordings folder in your Documents folder. Now drag any of the .tivo files on top of the Tivo Decoder script. When TiVo Decoder no longer appears in the dock it has finished making a copy of the video without the .tivo package. You should be able to drag this .mpg video into Toast. Actually, try dragging the .tivo file into Toast from the Finder to see if that works.

Now that the video is .mpg rather than .tivo it can be edited using MPEG Streamclip which is free but requires Apple's $20 QuickTime MPEG 2 Playback Component. Editing involves marking in and out points and deleting what's between them. When finished editing choose Convert to MPEG from the File menu to save the edited version for use in Toast.

ah thanks for the information tsantee.....I will download the Tivo decoder....Hopefully this all works now.....So far all is good...I went back in time with my time machine .....I am not sure if there was a conflict with another program I had installed from the mac store called Emoji that seems to be about the time when I started having issues ....

Thanks again guys

Ray

Fair enough; I missed that part, my apologies. Do things work when you the the "Toast It" button in TiVo Transfer?

I will note that if your goal is to convert stuff so you can watch it on your iPad and if you're using MPEG Streamclip then you don't even need Toast; you can simply convert it to MPEG-4 format and at that point iTunes can use it directly (you also won't be limited in resolution output like you are with Toast).

Fair enough; I missed that part, my apologies. Do things work when you the the "Toast It" button in TiVo Transfer?

I will note that if your goal is to convert stuff so you can watch it on your iPad and if you're using MPEG Streamclip then you don't even need Toast; you can simply convert it to MPEG-4 format and at that point iTunes can use it directly (you also won't be limited in resolution output like you are with Toast).

I will have to try out Streamclipmfor sure then. I thought I had to use Toast in order to convert the .TiVo file to make it useable on the iPad.

To answer your question thingsbdid not work when I hit the Toast it button in TiVo Transfer because it always brought me to the media center screen and would "lock up"

Quick question as far as MPEG Streamclip goes.....If I have the Tivo transfer file that is.... .Tivo file the main problem was toast was locking up when it tried to convert the .Tivo file to a mp4 file.....will MPEG streamer convert the .Tivo file??

Currently my toast is working properly..not sure for how long so I am really interested in using Streamclip...

Roxio just sent me information stating "Thank you for updating us. I would like to tell you that, we are experiencing conflict issue with Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) Our technical people working towards the issue for fix. We will update once the conflict issue fix."

Quick question as far as MPEG Streamclip goes.....If I have the Tivo transfer file that is.... .Tivo file the main problem was toast was locking up when it tried to convert the .Tivo file to a mp4 file.....will MPEG streamer convert the .Tivo file??

Currently my toast is working properly..not sure for how long so I am really interested in using Streamclip...

Roxio just sent me information stating "Thank you for updating us. I would like to tell you that, we are experiencing conflict issue with Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) Our technical people working towards the issue for fix. We will update once the conflict issue fix."

After the .tivo is changed to .mpg using TiVo Decoder you can use it in any application (including Toast) that works with MPEG 2 video files. Streamclip can export directly to mp4 so you can use it to bypass Toast entirely for that purpose.

kenh also brings up an important point about the resolution limit of converting a TiVo file in Toast. TiVo's license allows the transferred videos to be converted at a maximum 640 x 480 pixel size. However, after the video is converted to .mpg in the Finder it can be converted to any size up to its full resolution. This can be done with Toast or Streamclip. If you're exporting for iPad choose the best resolution for the iPad screen. In Toast that is the AppleTV preset.

Note that the email you received from Roxio doesn't indicate what conflicts they are encountering with Lion. I wish they'd share those details somewhere.

After the .tivo is changed to .mpg using TiVo Decoder you can use it in any application (including Toast) that works with MPEG 2 video files. Streamclip can export directly to mp4 so you can use it to bypass Toast entirely for that purpose.

kenh also brings up an important point about the resolution limit of converting a TiVo file in Toast. TiVo's license allows the transferred videos to be converted at a maximum 640 x 480 pixel size. However, after the video is converted to .mpg in the Finder it can be converted to any size up to its full resolution. This can be done with Toast or Streamclip. If you're exporting for iPad choose the best resolution for the iPad screen. In Toast that is the AppleTV preset.

Note that the email you received from Roxio doesn't indicate what conflicts they are encountering with Lion. I wish they'd share those details somewhere.

Where can I find the file that is converted after being sent to the TiVo transfer? I can clealy see the .TiVo files but I do not know where the .mpg files are?

Where can I find the file that is converted after being sent to the TiVo transfer? I can clealy see the .TiVo files but I do not know where the .mpg files are?

It should be adjacent to the .tivo file in the Tivo Recordings folder but with the .mpg extension.

It should be adjacent to the .tivo file in the Tivo Recordings folder but with the .mpg extension.

Hey Tsantee I just looked at the Tivo Recordings folder and the only files that are in there are only .Tivo files I am wondering where else it could be?? also did a search for any .mpg files and turned up nothing.....

Hey Tsantee I just looked at the Tivo Recordings folder and the only files that are in there are only .Tivo files I am wondering where else it could be?? also did a search for any .mpg files and turned up nothing.....

The way it works for me is that I drag the .tivo file on top of TiVo Decoder in the Finder and TiVo Decoder launches (and can be seen in the Dock). A file with the identical name except for the extension appears in the TiVo Recordings folder. When TiVo Decoder is finished it closes and is no longer in the Dock. That is when the .mpg version can be opened in MPEG Streamclip. Since you aren't seeing the new version my best guess is that it didn't make the copy.

The way it works for me is that I drag the .tivo file on top of TiVo Decoder in the Finder and TiVo Decoder launches (and can be seen in the Dock). A file with the identical name except for the extension appears in the TiVo Recordings folder. When TiVo Decoder is finished it closes and is no longer in the Dock. That is when the .mpg version can be opened in MPEG Streamclip. Since you aren't seeing the new version my best guess is that it didn't make the copy.

Ah ok I understand now.....when I entered my MAK from my tivo machine it was not launching. I guess I have to buy the add on because it doesnt work with LION as is at the moment...

Ah ok I understand now.....when I entered my MAK from my tivo machine it was not launching. I guess I have to buy the add on because it doesnt work with LION as is at the moment...

When I place .Tivo file on top of the decoder the message I get is " You cant open the application tivo code because power pc applications are no longer supported"