• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 27 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

GeorgeGM

Burn Speed In Roxio Creator 2011

Question

I need to burn some music cd's at lower burning speed of 4.0 The lowest speed I find is 8.0. A few months ago, I was able to find it at 4.0. Please help.

12 answers to this question

I need to burn some music cd's at lower burning speed of 4.0 The lowest speed I find is 8.0. A few months ago, I was able to find it at 4.0. Please help.

Are you using different discs?

I just tried TDK, Sony, and Fuji discs, still cannot get the burning speed down to 4. Previous times, I had used one of these three kinds.

George,

You have me puzzled. Please help me here.

Are you wanting to burn CDs at 4x speed, such that it will take 20 minutes to burn a CD?

If so, WHY?

Modern CD/DVD burners burn CDs at up to 48x speed without breaking a sweat, and are optimized to burn best in the mid to upper range of speeds. They tend to give their best burn at around 32x speed.

I doubt if you could still find a CD which which allows a 4x speed burning strategy - the disc has preset values for the burn speed it will allow. And if you did find one it would be so old it probably wouldn't burn properly.

I just tried TDK, Sony, and Fuji discs, still cannot get the burning speed down to 4. Previous times, I had used one of these three kinds.

Which of the audio burn applications are you using? I don't have Creator 2011 loaded on my computer but if I select "Create Audio Projects", add the music tracks and select burn, I do get a list of burn speeds down to 4X. Have you changed anything on your computer lately? Updated anything?

Why do you want to burn at 4X? Even 8X is considered very slow by today standards. The program will give you the minimum safe burning speed. If you are having issues with burning at 8X, consider encoding to an image file (c2d) and then burning that to a disc. That would separate the encoding from the burning so your computer does only one of those tasks at a time. Use the "Burn Disc Image" application to burn the c2d file to a disc. The added advantage is that you can burn that image file to as many discs as you wish without having to recreate the project.

In answer to you original question. I cannot guess why you no longer have a 4X burn option; perhaps someone else has an idea.

In answer to you original question. I cannot guess why you no longer have a 4X burn option; perhaps someone else has an idea.

As I said, it would be hard to find a disc with a 4x speed burning option nowadays.

Here's a modern Verbatim CD, as seen in two different burners.

post-208-013551800 1317987582.jpgpost-208-046020000 1317987592.jpg

As you can see, the same disc has different speeds available in different burners, but in neither of them is this disc going to burn at less than 8x speed [despite the fact that Verbatim label it as a 1-52 speed disc]

Regards,

Brendon

By discs do you mean different manufacturers? yes. Does that matter? I thought Roxio sets the burn speed.

Only partly correct…

Roxio can only set the burn speed to what is allowed by the media :mellow:;)

In the picture Brendon included, those are the only speeds that the disc will allow.

But with good media like Verbatim & Taiyo Yuden and a decent burner I have never burned a disc that I could not burn at Full Throttle with no ill effects ;)

It might have had some basis in the early days, but some Urban Legends are slow to die… :lol:

Drive Firmware reading the media ID's (disc maker's ID code, and write speeds/write strategy for the disc) = burn speeds available by the software..

Remember media ID's can be forged or read incorrectly by the firmware. Both official and hacked firmwares are known to allow improper burning speeds on certain discs.

I never burn CD/DVD at Full Throttle, and have PC's with the horse power to do so.

Burning at Full Throttle creates more PI Errors and PI Failures even using quality media and a good burner. I find 1/2 to 2/3 speed produces a disc with the lowest PI Errors and PI Failures as Brendon pointed out above..

...and what do you call an 'error' that has absolutely no effect on the playback outcome of a CD - DVD - BD???

Does irrelevant come to mind :lol:

All of my 'testing' is done on Players, any numbers before that are completely irrelevant to the end results ;)

...and what do you call an 'error' that has absolutely no effect on the playback outcome of a CD - DVD - BD???

All of my 'testing' is done on Players, any numbers before that are completely irrelevant to the end results ;)

Error was explained in the previous post.

I doubt your test bed of a few players makes a definitive study on disc burning.

Irrelevant in your mind doesn't change facts about burning to a disc.

Jim,

All burn errors have some effect on playback.

If your player can correct them in real time then that effect will not be noticed by the viewer, however if any particular player is not so good/fast at correcting the errors or if the disc gets dirty or scuffed or the player lens gets dusty then the effect is quite significant.

When the error level is too high for the player to correct in real time then you get stutters, stammers, lost frames, and pauses in playback. The error level which is 'too high' and displays these effects is not the same in every player. That is why we recommend burning at a speed which minimizes the errors.

The assertion that errors in your full-speed burns on your quality of discs do not hit this problem threshold on your players does not make the above facts an 'urban legend', or irrelevant - especially to all the people who complain on these forums because their discs do cross the problem threshold.

George,

Would you please answer the question I asked in my first post, before we got sidetracked?

Are you really wanting to burn at only 4x CD speed, and if so WHY?

Regards,

Brendon