• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

PK72

Xvid Codec Problems (This Is 2011, Wtf!)

Question

I have VLC, Perian, FlipWMV etc all installed. Working.

I need to burn AVI files along with their SRT equivalents.

What PHD do I need to get this done?

I'm using Toast Titanium 11. Not a version 2 or something, this is version 11.

Just how complex is this? What am I missing? Dragging a simple AVI file, which is played on my machine with ease by VLC, by QT Pro, by even iTunes -- gives me this error:

2rcvb0j.jpg

Thanks for any help.

post-46582-053964900 1318589442.jpg

10 answers to this question

The current version of perian is supposed to replace the need for any xvid codec. Also, the older xvid codecs caused Toast to crash. I have no solution since you already have perian. You might check if you have the latest perian update for your OS.

The current version of perian is supposed to replace the need for any xvid codec. Also, the older xvid codecs caused Toast to crash. I have no solution since you already have perian. You might check if you have the latest perian update for your OS.

I have the latest of every single piece of software. Even Toast is the latest. OSX Lion is 10.7.2.

Welcome any other ideas.

Seriously, for a PAID piece of software, Toast never fails to disappoint. It's clunky and laden with graphics, which is endurable if it bloody works.

Hmmm, nowadays when I want the end result to be a video DVD I convert whatever it is with MPEG2 Works 4 Advanced (which uses Perian and Apple's MPEG2 thingie to MPEG2. Then I drag those files into Toast, do titles, background and whatnot and save as Disc Image. When it's a wee bit to much for a single layer DVD I have DVDRemaster Pro do the compressing and burning. OK, not the way it should be perhaps, but it works fine for me.

I have the latest of every single piece of software. Even Toast is the latest. OSX Lion is 10.7.2.

Welcome any other ideas.

Seriously, for a PAID piece of software, Toast never fails to disappoint. It's clunky and laden with graphics, which is endurable if it bloody works.

There's plenty of reasons to criticize Toast but I disagree that Toast is the blame because you have a video that uses a codec unsupported in the Mac OS. Toast depends on the codecs existing in the QuickTime libraries. It doesn't add any codecs of its own. I suggest passing your info along to the developers of perian.

There's plenty of reasons to criticize Toast but I disagree that Toast is the blame because you have a video that uses a codec unsupported in the Mac OS. Toast depends on the codecs existing in the QuickTime libraries. It doesn't add any codecs of its own. I suggest passing your info along to the developers of perian.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with Perian. If Toast is "relying" on Quicktime, they're missing the plot. QT with OSX Lion has basically shown the finger. With "QTX". This version 10 of QT is worse than version 7 of QT! With less features, and not even "Preferences". Relying on this fading sun in the Apple world (surely QT is not going to be Apple's focus, as the rumor is) is pretty stupid.

Programs that depends in such ways on other programs should be bloody free. Toast charges through the nose. It's more expensive than other paid software for Mac. And yet, it never ceases to disappoint.

Whatever. I'll look elsewhere.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with Perian. If Toast is "relying" on Quicktime, they're missing the plot. QT with OSX Lion has basically shown the finger. With "QTX". This version 10 of QT is worse than version 7 of QT! With less features, and not even "Preferences". Relying on this fading sun in the Apple world (surely QT is not going to be Apple's focus, as the rumor is) is pretty stupid.

Programs that depends in such ways on other programs should be bloody free. Toast charges through the nose. It's more expensive than other paid software for Mac. And yet, it never ceases to disappoint.

Whatever. I'll look elsewhere.

I just want to clarify one thing I stated. Toast depends on the codecs from QuickTime and others such as perian, if needed, for its encoding. This is different from depending on QuickTime Player which is what you're referring to. Toast does have some codecs of its own such as the ones it uses to read and encode MPEG 2 and DivX video. Unfortunately you seem to have encountered one that isn't on your Mac or within Toast.

Which is how I got my AVI in the first place. But I do wish to make copies for family, which is perfectly legal -- if this is the sermon you were after. (It has been legal since the cassette days if you recall.)

Any other bright ideas that're irrelevant to this discussion?

Which is how I got my AVI in the first place. But I do wish to make copies for family, which is perfectly legal -- if this is the sermon you were after. (It has been legal since the cassette days if you recall.)

Ehmmm, did you get the AVI by ripping the original perhaps copy protected or whatever DVD? If you didn't use MTR for the ripping part then it probably won't work. Sorry if I understand the situation completely wrong though.

Don't know if the following could be considered bright:

If you used [whatever] software to backup the commercial DVDs, then you ought to be able to make back up copies of the unencrypted VIDEO_TS folders using any software capable of burning a UDF DVD-ROM (including Disk Utility). If you did the AVI conversions yourself from the rip, you should be able to re-do them using a standard home-theatre DivX format that Toast will accept. I assume you chose the AVI format so that you could fit more episodes on each disc, but if that's not a concern then why not just use the backup VIDEO_TS folders to create the DVDs for your family? That way you get the full disc with subtitles, etc.

Unless....the commercial DVD has no subtitles, and you had to go searching for srt subs and need to add them yourself. In that case you'll need to encode new AVI files (from the backup VIDEO_TS folders) to the standard home-theatre DivX format, and add them and the srt files to a DVD-video (MPEG2) disc for re-encoding. I understand that the inclusion of subs through Toast's MPEG2 re-encoding can be unpredictable, though.

There's also the possibility that Lion has reared it's head, and broken some of the Perian/QT linkages.

Edited by pseudonym