Sign in to follow this  
mgg

Sd Video On Bd Disk - Compatible Players?

Question

I had issues with toast 10 - but with 11, I was able to drop the vids in and successfully burn a disk with 15+ hours of SD. It plays back on my mac just fine, but so far, neither a Samsung nor Sony BD player will even recognize the content - one says, "nothing recorded" and the other "unrecognized disk". SD on BD is a part of the blu-ray standard - is it completely ignored by the player companies? Anyone successfully play one of these on their player?

tnx

mgg

4 answers to this question

That's curious. Please describe the settings you used in Toast. When you say it plays back fine on the Mac, is that by using Roxio Video Player?

It plays using APPLE DVD player - just like any DVD. Video is 4:3 format as it should be. I selected Blu-ray clicked video and dropped some movies in the window.

I changed the Menu Title, left the aspect ration at standard and clicked burn.

Roxio Video Player, seems to be just for playing videos. I could drill down and get it to play VOB files just fine.

Get info in DVD player says

720 x 480 4:3, NTSC, Standard Def

I'm pretty sure Toast is doing the right thing, I was just looking for confirmation that some if not most Blu-ray players do not handle SD on BD format.

mgg

I thought you made a Blu-ray video disc containing standard-def videos. But you created a DVD video disc and burned it to Blu-ray media so it could be larger than fits DVD media. I've never encountered anyone doing this before, but I can understand your interest in trying it out. Apparently your set-top Blu-ray players don't expect VIDEO_TS folders to be burned to Blu-ray media. The Blu-ray disc file format is entirely different and when the player sees it is a Blu-ray disc it is looking for the Blu-ray video file structure. Not seeing it gets you the error message.

Meanwhile, Macs don't read Blu-ray video discs so when you loaded the disc on the Mac the OS found a VIDEO_TS folder regardless of the type of media and launched DVD Player. By the way, Roxio Video Player plays Blu-ray discs burned by Toast on Macs, which is very nice.

Which brings us back to your original question (with some clarification): Are there Blu-ray video players that support playing back from VIDEO_TS folders burned to Blu-ray media? I wonder if any of the forums at avsforum.com has addressed this question.

hrm....... so I selected blu-ray disk in toast11 at the start - but it burned a video_ts file structure (yep, that's what is on there) rather than whatever a bluray should be........... SD is, I thought, supported.....reading the fine print, I see that they mean you can put a DVD format file structure on the BD disk.....

The actual BD formats are:

Resolution Frame rate[a] Aspect ratio

1920×1080 29.97-i 16:9

1920×1080 25-i 16:9

1920×1080 24-p 16:9

1920×1080 23.976-p 16:9

1440×1080 29.97-i 16:9 (anamorphic)

1440×1080 25-i 16:9 (anamorphic)

1440×1080 24-p 16:9 (anamorphic)

1440×1080 23.976-p 16:9 (anamorphic)

1280×720 59.94-p 16:9

1280×720 50-p 16:9

1280×720 24-p 16:9

1280×720 23.976-p 16:9

720×480 29.97-i 4:3/ 16:9 (anamorphic)

720×576 25-i 4:3/ 16:9 (anamorphic)

no actual SD...... I could force the SD into HD with bars but I'll lose a lot of the capacity.

CRUD.

So, with all the streaming capability tv's etc are picking up, maybe I'll just dump it on a BD-rom format and give my mother a BD reader drive for her computer.....

tnx

me