Hi-Res Audio Dvds Don't Play On Dvd Players

sinomatic

Question

One of the reasons I upgraded my Toast to 11 was to create 96/24 audio DVDs. Only, they only play on my Macs -- not any DVD player I've tried.

The same DVD players have no problem playing commercial hi-res audio DVDs (like Neil Young's: Greatest Hits, and Sugar Mountain).

Am I missing something? Could it be the drive I'm using to write the DVDs?

The machine I use to write DVDs is a 24" iMac, core 2 duo.

8 answers to this question

Yes, I know. I'm not interested in DVD-A just DVD with hi-res audio.

The disc is unreadable in all players I've tried.

I would expect the disc to load but maybe not play if the player had some objection to 96/24 audio. I'll do some testing of this although I have no audio source files that are greater than 48/16. I'll try increasing their resolution for the test even though that won't get better audio quality. Your disc does have a VIDEO_TS folder, correct?

Yes, there's a VIDEO_TS which contains all the files. There's an AUDIO_TS folder also, but it's empty.

As I said, the disc seems to play fine on computers I've tried it on, just not dedicated DVD players.

I'll give it a go on Thursday and let you know what I find. Are you running Snow Leopard or Lion?

Snow Leopard.

Thanks a lot.

It's working okay for me. I used Peak 7 to convert my 44.1/16 audio to 96/24 and added those to Toast. I selected the 96/24 PCM setting and burned the music DVD. My old Pioneer DVD player is playing it as I'm typing. I don't know what to suggest. You might try adding the VIDEO_TS folder to the Toast Data window with DVD-Rom (UDF) as the format and try burning the disc again. This time choose 4X rather than best as the burn speed. You also might try a different brand of blank discs. I don't know why it didn't work.