Matt W

Aspect Ratio - 16:9 Video Is Squeezed To 4:3 - Please Help

Question

I am importing 16:9 video from a DVD. When I view / edit the video, it lives in a 16:9 window but is squeezed to 4:3 with curtains added on both sides.

Using the Aspect Ratio Handling option crops the image - which is not acceptable for my project.

How can I import my 16:9 video and preserve this feature?

Thank you in advance for your help.

7 answers to this question

I am importing 16:9 video from a DVD. When I view / edit the video, it lives in a 16:9 window but is squeezed to 4:3 with curtains added on both sides.

Using the Aspect Ratio Handling option crops the image - which is not acceptable for my project.

How can I import my 16:9 video and preserve this feature?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Please tell us exactly what you are doing and what application you are trying to use.

If you are importing into Edit Video Advanced, you must select 16 by 9 as a new project before you do anything else.

Please tell us exactly what you are doing and what application you are trying to use.

If you are importing into Edit Video Advanced, you must select 16 by 9 as a new project before you do anything else.

I am using Roxio Creator 2012 - Build 135B90A. From that suite, I am using Edit Video Advanced. I am in fact selecting 16:9 before I start my project - and before I import my video. Yet, I still get the squeezing and curtains as seen in the attached jpg.

Thank you for any suggestions.

post-99653-024059300 1319334258.jpg

Where are you importing the video from - camcorder? Full make and model number. There were some issues relating to this type of problem with certain camcorders.

Are you capturing from the camcorderor are you just copying the video files to your computer?

Sknis - I imported the video from a DVD layoff from my contractor's camcorder. The camcorder acquired in 16:9, the source was then digitized and then laid off to DVD. I don't know what the camcorder or processing software was.

That same DVD plays on a 16:9 TV perfectly. However, when I import the video, it comes in as a 16:9 area with the 16:9 source image compressed into a 4:3 area that lives in the middle of the 16:9 production canvas.

Further, this DVD is in fact a playable DVD and not a data file burned to DVD media.

Jim - You used red arrows in your supporting image. All information in my case agrees with yours - source 4:3, production 16:9. I am in fact able to use the Fill Frame / Crop option, however, this 'zoom' effect creates undesirable results - since part of my speaker's presentation requires viewing of the lower portion of the frame (which is cropped when this option is selected).

I continue to look for a way to import the video in its true aspect ratio, but am not finding a solution. Thank you both for any further help you may offer.

Matt

Edited by Matt W

'Laid Off'??? :huh: Isn't that someone out of work? :lol:

Aspect Ratios have been a problem from VHS Tape on... I'll play with it a little today and see what I can come up with. ;)

It all came out the way I rememebered it would but it never hurst to revisit a subject...

The problem you are having is the your Source is not truly 16:9... A LOT of camcorders have a "widescreen" setting but it is not truly 16:9!

I created a test DVD with a true 16:9 source, and the Aspect Ration handling in VideoWave handles it properly.

The only thing you can do is to put a Color Panel on Video line in VW then add your movie as an Overlay...

Once that is done, you can tinker with its' sizing handles and get it as close as possible to filling the screen. But you cannot make it what it is not :huh:

post-39730-078907800 1319472398.jpg

post-39730-027861800 1319472401.jpg

Edited by Jim_Hardin