Question

Hello,

I've been on here a lot with troubles running Creator 11 on 2 Win7 upgrades from Vista... I've learned a lot about Roxio and wish to continue with more stable OS, etc.

Just a quick question to the learned folks here:

Do you recommend switching to Mac with OSX Lion and Toast?

Thanks, Bill

Hello,

I've been on here a lot with troubles running Creator 11 on 2 Win7 upgrades from Vista... I've learned a lot about Roxio and wish to continue with more stable OS, etc.

Thanks, Bill

Are you familiar with a MAC and video editiing on the MAC? What other video editing/burning.audio programs do you have for the MAC now? It just ain't the same. I have both; and contrary to common belief, the pc is better and has more options.

Hello,

Thanks, Bill

You are asking Windows users whether they recommend switching to Macs?:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks, Bill

Don't drink the Koolaid! :lol::rolleyes::lol:

Are you familiar with a MAC and video editiing on the MAC? What other video editing/burning.audio programs do you have for the MAC now? It just ain't the same. I have both; and contrary to common belief, the pc is better and has more options.

I'm not insulted by the wise cracks from my question. :-)

I'm not familiar with a MAC at all. I have no MAC hardware/software. I am just so disappointed in the frequent crashes and errors using Roxio on two PC's. This has been a royal nightmare. Roxio is the most complex operation I use. Roxio is not the only source of instability on these machines. The "wit's end" or "punt" attitude says: Why not jump to a whole different platform that may work better?

My desired functions include:

1. Capture/acquire/convert video from dvd player and streaming internet.

2. Burn discs of this programming

3. Archive/copy non protected dvd's

4. Extract audio from these as well as manage a large library of mp3 audio, including burinng cda/mp3 discs

I read some of the threads over on the Toast side and see all is not peaches and cream there.

Do you think a new replacement PC of today's caliber (HP Pavilion HPE h8qe, Dell XPS8300) would be stable using Creator 12?

Thanks for your judgement.

Bill

Only if copy protection is not in place from the copyright holder.

Again it would have to be free of copy protection.

3. Archive/copy non protected DVD's

No problem unless some DVD Recorder makes them in DVD + - VR (VR mode) I've seen problems with them.

4. Extract audio from these as well as manage a large library of mp3 audio, including burinng cda/mp3 discs.

Extract audio from non protected DVD's no problem. Burn wav files to audio CD's and MP/3 disc's again no problem with non protected content.

I've been on here a lot with troubles running Creator 11 on 2 Win7 upgrades from Vista.

List your PC specs and was W-7 loaded on top of Vista or a clean W-7 install on a fresh formatted hard drive?

Edited by cdanteek

Here is a though...

Add a new HDD to your 'best' PC.

Unplug the existing HDD then Format and install Windows on the new HDD. (add any BIOS drivers your system requires)

Install the latest Video Card drivers AND software for you video card.

Install Roxio then shutdown and plug your old HDD in.

When you boot, you should be able to click an F key and choose which HDD to boot from.

When you want Roxio, pick that new clean driver ;)

I believe you will find Roxio is plenty stable when running in a clean environment. Test it out for a few days and see what you find.

Only if copy protection is not in place from the copyright holder.

Again it would have to be free of copy protection.

3. Archive/copy non protected DVD's

No problem unless some DVD Recorder makes them in DVD + - VR (VR mode) I've seen problems with them.

4. Extract audio from these as well as manage a large library of mp3 audio, including burinng cda/mp3 discs.

Extract audio from non protected DVD's no problem. Burn wav files to audio CD's and MP/3 disc's again no problem with non protected content.

I've been on here a lot with troubles running Creator 11 on 2 Win7 upgrades from Vista.

List your PC specs and was W-7 loaded on top of Vista or a clean W-7 install on a fresh formatted hard drive?

Thanks, CD.

I understand about copy protection. NP

I haven't seen any VR move

I have done all these processes in both machines, just not predictably.... many crashes

My specs are HP Presario CPU Intel E6550@2.44ghz, 4 gigs of ram, NVIDIA GT430, new HP dvd burner

Win7 was clean installed on a brand new WD caviar black 1.0t hdd

I'm going to talk with friends tonight relative to a new HP h8xt tower vs a MAC

If you have a better suggestion for a PC replacement, please advise.

Thanks, Bill

Here is a though...

Add a new HDD to your 'best' PC.

Unplug the existing HDD then Format and install Windows on the new HDD. (add any BIOS drivers your system requires)

Install the latest Video Card drivers AND software for you video card.

Install Roxio then shutdown and plug your old HDD in.

When you boot, you should be able to click an F key and choose which HDD to boot from.

When you want Roxio, pick that new clean driver ;)

I believe you will find Roxio is plenty stable when running in a clean environment. Test it out for a few days and see what you find.

Hi Jim,

You may remember me from many months ago. See my response above to CD.

Your directions for a clean hdd are well received. I did just that with a new drive, installed Win7 'clean' and then Roxio Creator 11. I have had some success with both machines, but get black or blue sreen crashes. The dell machine occasionally freezes up when Roxio is running.

We will probably buy a new computer and do the same with a whole new box. Support for Creator 11 is over, so a new liscense for 2012 will be in order.

I agree that the things I want to are not out of line for Roxio to do in a clean/stable environment. My initial question on this thread was if MAC offered any more stable environment and got some laughs.. :-) I understand.

Thanks again for all your input.

Bill

Hi Jim,

You may remember me from many months ago. See my response above to CD.

Your directions for a clean hdd are well received. I did just that with a new drive, installed Win7 'clean' and then Roxio Creator 11. I have had some success with both machines, but get black or blue sreen crashes. The dell machine occasionally freezes up when Roxio is running.

We will probably buy a new computer and do the same with a whole new box. Support for Creator 11 is over, so a new liscense for 2012 will be in order.

I agree that the things I want to are not out of line for Roxio to do in a clean/stable environment. My initial question on this thread was if MAC offered any more stable environment and got some laughs.. :-) I understand.

Thanks again for all your input.

Bill

Go back to Windows XP. It still rocks. :)

I have had some success with both machines, but get black or blue sreen crashes.

Look in event viewer under system management and look for the cause of the blue screen crashes.

I seriously doubt returning to XP would cure the problem.

W-7 is the new XP... :)

Look in event viewer under system management and look for the cause of the blue screen crashes.

LOL! Life is good. :)

I erred on the name of my computer here. It is a Pavillion.

I looked in Event Viewer, but can't make sense of it.

From my limited experience, Win7 is far better than Vista and time will tell if it is the 'new XP'.

post-97696-086805000 1322021197.png

When you have your crash log the time and look in event viewer. Have you ever ran a repair on your installation?

post-97-093383500 1322058854.jpg

When you have your crash log the time and look in event viewer. Have you ever ran a repair on your installation?

post-97-093383500 1322058854.jpg

Hi CD,

No, I haven't 'repaired' this install. I have done a System Restore many times. How would I do a 'repair'?

I followed the path you outlined. I found many errors:

User Profile Service ID 1511 and 1515 everytime I log on.

Many Application hang: Iexplore.exe

Few VSS - Volume Shadow Copy Service Error

MANY 'search' errors reference to System index Catalog

Many RestartManager warnings

ESENT "(2948) Windows: Error -1811 occurred while opening logfile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\MSS003B3.log."

Error Application: DrvInst.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385

Error, Application hang in SoundEdit13

2Errors, hang, MusicDiscCreator13

Error, App hang, CopyandConvert13

Error, App hang, MovieMaker

LONG list of .NET Runtime Optimization Service errors

I didn't see any error or event that would have coincided with a blue or black screen crash event.

One reason I am ready to condemn this hp machine is that for the last month, the new WD drive runs all the time (it's been installed 3 months). I've been watching in task manager and see that SearchIndexer and svchost are the heaviest user of cpu and disk write resources while no application is active.

Also, immediately after loading W7 on this new virgin hdd, the Microsoft support tech had trouble with users and administrative authority. I think there is a serious issue with User Profiles, hence the errors. (I still get 'you don't have permission to do this')

From the talk among my friends, the mac doesn't have near as much of this junk. Toast side of this forum says Toast11 won't work with Lion

Since Win7 was such an improvement over Vista, I have a temptation to try a new PC machine. The basic question to you experienced PC/Roxio users is: Would you invest 1300 or so dollars into one expecting these things to go away? And if so, would you choose Dell or HP for premium technical/warranty support to deal with these issues on a new machine?

Another new machine question: Intel i7 9... series Gen1 processor vs the gen2 Sandy Bridge 26... processors?

Thanks for your opinions.

Bill

post-97696-066534200 1322066805.png

Most of your errors look to be the operating system.

When W7 was installed on the new WD HD did you install it?

Did you install all the drivers, chip set, bios updates and such?

Have you updated windows regularly?

Most of your errors look to be the operating system.

When W7 was installed on the new WD HD did you install it?

Did you install all the drivers, chip set, bios updates and such?

Have you updated windows regularly?

Hi CD,

Yes, the 'System' files and processes here seem to be crazy. Only 3 or 4 of those events are Roxio.

I installed this new hdd and W7. I did as Jim suggested: Unplugged the SATA cable from the original hdd and installed W7 on the new one with Microsoft tech support on the phone.

I reinstalled all the application drivers I could think of, such as print, video card, etc. My pretty savy PC son was here and we changed the boot drive settings in bios. I have never done anything with chipset or bios updates.

I have regularly accepted all Windows updates. -- About the constant hdd runnning situation, I did a system restore to a point before some major updates and it stopped until the updates were reinstalled.

CD, I enjoy the challenge of these issues and the satisfaction of success with computers. There is so much to learn and good folks like you willing to share is refreshing. Thank you very much. But.... I am tired. I am not rich, but at my wife's suggestion, we are willing to spend what we need to to have a computer as a dependable tool used to improve our lives, not become the center of our lives. Macs are not as broadly modified/developed, etc. and have a reputation for stability. Still they are not a panacea. Not perfect at all.

Back to a basic question I've posted here: 'Would Roxio run well for the needs I've posted on a new state-of-the-art PC?'

Components

• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]

• Intel® Core i7-970 six-core [3.2GHz, 1.5MB L2 + 12MB shared L3 cache]

• FREE UPGRADE to 12GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs] from 9GB

• FREE UPGRADE to 2TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 1TB

• SAVE $40 on Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2010

• SAVE $30 on Norton Internet Security 2011 - 15 month

• 1GB DDR3 Radeon HD 6670 [DVI, HDMI, DP, VGA]

• 600W Power supply

• Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner

• 16x max. DVD ROM (player)

• Wireless-N LAN card (1x1)

• 15-in-1 memory card reader, 4 USB 2.0 (front) w/USB 3.0 card (rear), audio, 2 USB (top rear-facing)

• No TV Tuner

• Integrated sound

• Premium HP keyboard and optical mouse

$1563.99

I really don't want to spend that much money, but would if I could feel secure in settling down with the things I do now on this computer.

Again, I ask for your assessment of the Gen2 Sandy bridge Intel processors vs the previous i7-9xx processors.

Thanks for listening.

Have a geat Turkey day!

Bill

Did you do any comparisons with a MAC? Remember ALL new software if your current software is not designed to run on a MAC -- that may include keyboard, mouse, external hard drives. These should be upgradeable.

I'm partial to Dell lately. Look at their refurbished site to see what they have and talk to them since they have more that they don't advertise. Look at my signature. That Dell laptop (i7) runs a couple of video editing programs well (including Creator 2012). I use it for both standard definition and high definition DVD. I don't have a blu-ray burner on it but it creates AVCHD discs with no problem. I do spend a couple of hours every month doing normal maintenance on it. I limit the trial software I download.

Just my opinion only, the maintenance on a computer is almost as important as the computer itself. Junk files, download trial programs, fragmentation of the hard drives, use of a registry cleaner are all bad for performance.

BTW, what do you have now?

Edited by sknis

Bill, here is a example of my motherboards drivers available from Asus. First build in my signature,

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/P6X58D_Premium/#download

They are the first things that get loaded after the operating system is installed.

Otherwise your running on generic W-7 drivers loaded in the OS.

Do you look and choose your windows updates or pour them all on top of your installation?

What updates seem to hose your PC?

First build in my signature, first generation I 7 950, runs Roxio Creator fine. So does my three year old Core 2 Duo 8500, second build in my signature.

My specs are HP Presario CPU Intel E6550@2.44ghz, 4 gigs of ram, NVIDIA GT430, new HP dvd burner

Win7 was clean installed on a brand new WD caviar black 1.0t hdd

If that is a desktop with a Video Card not a Video Chip built on the motherboard? You should be able to run Roxio programs.

Throwing $1563.99 on a new PC should hopefully fix the problem but your old pc with the operating system and motherboard drivers along with updated hardware and software done correctly should work too!

I've built my PC's since the 90's when I seemed to know more than the Dell tech I was talking to did!

And surprisingly I have '0' problems. I don't load them full of junk free software use top of the line components and don't have a hidden restore partition on the hard drive.

I can't poke a stick at your PC from here and fix it for you but I do believe it's fixable.

Have a geat Turkey day!

Same to you and your family..

Did you do any comparisons with a MAC? Remember ALL new software if your current software is not designed to run on a MAC -- that may include keyboard, mouse, external hard drives. These should be upgradeable.

I'm partial to Dell lately. Look at their refurbished site to see what they have and talk to them since they have more that they don't advertise. Look at my signature. That Dell laptop (i7) runs a couple of video editing programs well (including Creator 2012). I use it for both standard definition and high definition DVD. I don't have a blu-ray burner on it but it creates AVCHD discs with no problem. I do spend a couple of hours every month doing normal maintenance on it. I limit the trial software I download.

Just my opinion only, the maintenance on a computer is almost as important as the computer itself. Junk files, download trial programs, fragmentation of the hard drives, use of a registry cleaner are all bad for performance.

BTW, what do you have now?

Hi,

I'm aware that changing to a mac puts me in a whole different world and very little can be taken over. I agree, an external hdd probably can be reformated and used on a mac.

?? What is AVCHD?

If I pursue a replacement PC, I'll study Dell more.

I agree that free downloads and add ons will drag a PC down. And regular maintenance is imperative.

What do I have now? Please give instructions as to how I can put it in my signature below.

HP-Pavilion GG755AV-ABA m8100y Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Core2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz, 2331 Mhz, BIOS American Megatrends Inc. 5.07, 8/8/2007

NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 4096MB RAM C: 1t WD Caviar Black

Bill, here is a example of my motherboards drivers available from Asus. First build in my signature,

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/P6X58D_Premium/#download

They are the first things that get loaded after the operating system is installed.

Otherwise your running on generic W-7 drivers loaded in the OS.

Do you look and choose your windows updates or pour them all on top of your installation?

What updates seem to hose your PC?

First build in my signature, first generation I 7 950, runs Roxio Creator fine. So does my three year old Core 2 Duo 8500, second build in my signature.

If that is a desktop with a Video Card not a Video Chip built on the motherboard? You should be able to run Roxio programs.

Throwing $1563.99 on a new PC should hopefully fix the problem but your old pc with the operating system and motherboard drivers along with updated hardware and software done correctly should work too!

I've built my PC's since the 90's when I seemed to know more than the Dell tech I was talking to did!

And surprisingly I have '0' problems. I don't load them full of junk free software use top of the line components and don't have a hidden restore partition on the hard drive.

I can't poke a stick at your PC from here and fix it for you but I do believe it's fixable.

Same to you and your family..

Hi again,

While reading and answering sknis (I think his name is Steve), I still had dxdiag up and clicked on the link to your ASUS mb site. Then the computer froze to the point that I could only close dxdiag, then no mouse/keyboard inputs were recognized. I held the power button and restarted.

Well. as per your suggestion I noted the time and went to Event Viewer. Nothing in Applications, but in System I had the following warning:(attachment)

When the machine restarted, this web page, etc. were still active.

Yes!! With things set right, this system should work fine.

Does American Megatrends have updated software/firmware/bios drivers for this machine?

The same 1500 dollars can buy a lot of neat gear from NewEgg which should provide the clean, stable platform we are seeking here.

When I get suggested updates, I look at them, but don't really know what they mean. I usually go ahead with all of them unless it is for something I don't use. So, I guess I just pour them on top of my installation.

'No hidden restore partitions' I'll post my drive partitions. I have too many!(attachmentt)

I started this thread with a question about Mac. The answer was 'Mac What??' It has evolved into a discussion of basic Windows based computers. I really appreciate your discussions! Maybe it should be taken to another topic?

Thanks, Bill

post-97696-030135600 1322158567.png

post-97696-079755900 1322160472.png

I think you have serious issues with your PC.

Do a Google search on ' e1express '. Both Dell and HP folks say a windows update causes a problem with certail nic cards.

Did you get a mother board resource disc with your pc?

Go to HP sign in and search for your pc. Dell had a # on the PC that identified your PC and you searched for updates by that #. Since HP made/modified your PC I would use the drivers they show available for your PC.

I think you have serious issues with your PC.

Do a Google search on 'e1express'. Both Dell and HP folks say a windows update causes a problem with certail nic cards.

Did you get a mother board resource disc with your pc?

Go to HP sign in and search for your pc. Dell had a # on the PC that identified your PC and you searched for updates by that #. Since HP made/modified your PC I would use the drivers they show available for your PC.

Hi,

No mother board disc. Just Vista and Office2007.

I reviewed the comments about e1express, but nothing said how to eliminate the crashes or to find the update and delete it.

I went to HP and put in my computer model number and the only driver update is for lightscribe. I don't use that. It could be used with my original burner,,, but not necessary.

I went to the American Megatrends site, but didn't see any mention of a mother board build or bios upgrade.

:-( Bill

AMI only makes the basic BIOS and not the board itself - the motherboard manufacturer programs it

To get drivers, http://www.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html

That is of course if HP actually put them there

Thanks, Daithi and gi7

The link above is no longer available.

I read on the HP forum and found others in my position. I'm sure there are MANY who bought HP Vista and replaced it with Win7. HP provides no driver support unless you reinstall the origional Vista. I'll buy a new PC (or jump to mac) before I'll do Vista!

Bill

Thanks, Daithi and gi7

The link above is no longer available.

I read on the HP forum and found others in my position. I'm sure there are MANY who bought HP Vista and replaced it with Win7. HP provides no driver support unless you reinstall the origional Vista. I'll buy a new PC (or jump to mac) before I'll do Vista!

Bill

Click the left one 'drivers and software' and enter your info.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html