• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

rstrauch

Title and track names lost when burning audio CDs

Question

I would like to be able to burn audio CDs with the title and track names I give them, but toast always titles the CD as "Title" and names the tracks "1 Audio Track.aiff" etc., even though the correct title and track names are shown in Toast window. Is there any way of getting Toast to retain the CD title and track names when it burns the CD? (iTunes does it, with no apparent difficulty.)

Ralph Strauch

10 answers to this question

The track names you see on the Mac after burning with iTunes are not on the audio CD. iTunes writes the names to a cdinfo database file that the OS checks for a match when a CD is inserted. Toast doesn't write to this database file, but instead writes CD Text info to the CD. But the Mac OS doesn't read CD Text. There is a script available from dougscripts.com called CD Text to CD Info that will automate the process of iTunes extracting the CD Text information burned by Toast to the database accessed by the OS and iTunes.

i am having a similar issue, when i extract an audio CD with iTunes all the songs, artist, album, etc are shown, *but* after completion when the MP3's are added to my library the only field with data is the "title". the artist, album etc are gone. anyone know why????

i am having a similar issue, when i extract an audio CD with iTunes all the songs, artist, album, etc are shown, *but* after completion when the MP3's are added to my library the only field with data is the "title". the artist, album etc are gone. anyone know why????

I'm not quite understanding this. When I insert an audio CD that iTunes hasn't seen before the album, artist, track and related information is downloaded from CDDB and written to the CDinfo database file. If I import those tracks to the Library as mp3s all that information transfers as well. By the way, you can manually enter the album, artist, genre, year and other for an audio CD by selecting the CD in the playlist and pressing command+I (Get Info). The field for enterring that info appears.

I'm not quite understanding this. When I insert an audio CD that iTunes hasn't seen before the album, artist, track and related information is downloaded from CDDB and written to the CDinfo database file. If I import those tracks to the Library as mp3s all that information transfers as well. By the way, you can manually enter the album, artist, genre, year and other for an audio CD by selecting the CD in the playlist and pressing command+I (Get Info). The field for enterring that info appears.

i dont get it either. it also happens when a buddy shoots me an album through iChat, when the mp3's are imported into iTunes only the song title field has data.

iTunes brings all the related information up just fine when an audio Cd is inserted. but the information does not transfer, including the artwork, when i add the files to my iTunes library.

Ralph Strauch has articulated the problem perfectly: Toast does not retain the information that is input in the recording window (e.g., Disk Name, Track Names). Even when the information is manually typed, it does not remain. (I am a Mac user.) Not to rant, but this seems like a problem that should be addressed by Roxio, plain and simple.

Ralph Strauch has articulated the problem perfectly: Toast does not retain the information that is input in the recording window (e.g., Disk Name, Track Names). Even when the information is manually typed, it does not remain. (I am a Mac user.) Not to rant, but this seems like a problem that should be addressed by Roxio, plain and simple.

I presume you're referring only to burning audio CDs. When you say the information isn't retained, I want to know where you think it should be retained. If you have CD Text on in Toast (which is the default) Toast writes the track, artist, album information to the disc. You can see that it is there after the disc is burned by choosing Disc Info from the Recorder menu in Toast 7. Since it is on the disc it appears on any CD player that reads CD Text.

As for the information appearing in the Finder and in iTunes after burning the disc, Toast doesn't write to the CD Info database file on your Mac where this track, artist, album information is stored. You can enter this manually in iTunes. If it is a copy of a commercial audio CD you'll likely have this info automatically entered for you via a download from the online CDDB database. Or you can use the "CD Info to CD Text" Applescript available at dougscripts.com. I'd like Roxio to include this script with the Toast bundle.

I don't know why Toast doesn't update the CD Info database file when burning a disc. iTunes does. My guess is Apple doesn't allow it. But even with iTunes the information is only written to that one Mac's database file. And since iTunes doesn't burn CD Text no track, artist, album info is retained on the disc.

With the recent versions of iTunes , got yet another "update" 7.0.2 , I'm wondering why I would continue to use Toast at all for burning CD's? If I wasn't still using Panther 10.3.9, I could answer if iTunes will now burn CD Text as well as (I assume) leave song tags on individual tracks, so even mixes retain track info when read by iTunes. Any Tiger users play with the new iTunes "CD Text" check box? How about song title recognition with the Data CD and Data DVD disc option?

Anyone else notice the new advanced burning choices iTunes offers?

-----------------------------------------------

iTunes >Preferences >Advanced >Burning

* AudioCD

*Include CD TEXT (requires Mac OS 10.4 or later)

*Data CD or DVD

(data discs include all files in the playlist)

-----------------------------------------------

-

Greenjeens

With the recent versions of iTunes , got yet another "update" 7.0.2 , I'm wondering why I would continue to use Toast at all for burning CD's?

Greenjeens

Thanks for pointing out that iTunes has added the CD Text option. I hadn't noticed.

Toast and iTunes still do some things differently with audio CDs. Some may prefer using iTunes and some may prefer using Toast. When I've used iTunes I was annoyed that I had to first create a playlist and then iTunes would apparently write a disc image before it would start burning the CD. Toast seems faster and more agile to me because it can burn music that isn't in iTunes and starts right away burning to the disc. I rarely have used Toast's ability to have different pause lengths between individual tracks whereas iTunes applies the same pause between all tracks, but that also is a difference between the two. Try copying an audio CD using iTunes. That's a pain and doesn't get you an identical copy.

Then again, I usually use Jam 6 to burn my audio CDs. Toast is for other things. So is iTunes.

I am especially confused since today, for the first time, an audio cd I burned using Toast DID burn the CD name AND track names from the FLAC files I dragged into Toast. After that one success...I haven't been able to duplicate the process. What's the point of being able to manually type in the name of the CD, the Artist Name, and the track names, if they aren't written onto the cd?

I am especially confused since today, for the first time, an audio cd I burned using Toast DID burn the CD name AND track names from the FLAC files I dragged into Toast. After that one success...I haven't been able to duplicate the process. What's the point of being able to manually type in the name of the CD, the Artist Name, and the track names, if they aren't written onto the cd?

How do you know if the track information written as CD Text by Toast is on the disc or not? The Finder doesn't read CD Text so it won't show it. Toast shows it if you choose Disc Info in the Recorder Settings window (after inserting the audio CD, of course). Otherwise you need a CD player that supports CD Text to see that the info is present.

If you want album/artist/track info to appear when you insert an audio CD in your Mac, the info must either be downloaded from CDDB or entered in iTunes. That's how to get the info written to the CD Info database file on your Mac, which is what the Finder reads. You also can use the CD Info to CD Text Applescript at dougscripts.com to transfer the CD Text written by Toast to the CD Info written by iTunes. A link to that is in the track info topic pinned at the top of this Forum.