• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

ExtremeUnction

Roxio 8 Will Not Run comError 80004003

Question

After several months of running Roxio 8, I suddenly can no longer launch the application. When I attempt to launch the application (the home or main component), I get an "error" prompt (simply a tiny window with a red x icon and an OK button). Clicking Ok results in another rror message. This error message also has the rex x icon and Invalid pointer (comError, 80004003). The Roxio application fails to launch. HOWEVER, looking at Windows Task Manager, a Roxio-Central.exe instance is listed in the Processes Tab (about 18MB).

What I have done:

Attempt 1

Carefully uninstalled Roxio (main and the added content CD).

Reboot

Reinstall

Result--same error

Attempt 2

Carefully uninstall Roxio using Windows Add/Remove Programs

Defrag

Reboot

Virus Check and Spyware Check (negative)

Reboot

Reinstall

Result--same error

Attempt 3

Carefully uninstall Roxio using Windows Add/Remove Programs

Search frustratingly for the Roxio roxizap.exe app.

run roxizap

reboot

reinstall

Result--same error

I carfully reviewed the forums and find only one passing reference to this error that seems to indicate a Windows XP SP 2 issue (this is not the case in my instance and is an odd "solution" anyway).

Machine Info:

Downloaded version of Roxio 8 (regular version)

Windows XP SP 2 plus all updates

1 GB memory

60 GB harddrive (over 35GB available with Roxio installed)

I must admit that I am frustrated at this point.

5 answers to this question

Actually, you gave us no information at all about your computer. Look at my signature, and that is the info that will help.

Also, what did you do to your computer between the time EMC 8 worked, and when it did not work?

Folks:

I am having the same issue with Roxio and I'm about ready to take it back if I can't get some resolution! I purchased the Retail Box from a Vendor of Easy Media Creator 8.0 Suite (Not the Deluxe), but it is the Suite with 2 disks in it. One disk is the programs, with the other disk being Content.

I have Windows XP Media Center Edition (SP 2) and all current updates for windows installed. I installed the software, which seem to install correctly. I installed the Content CD, it seemed to install correctly. After reboot, I see the "Drag to Disc" is on the desktop and even works! But when I try to open "Creator Roxio Central", I get the same error as above "Invalid Pointer (ComError, 80004003)".

So I figured I must need to do some updating from Roxio, so I went to support and downloaded the patch for 8.0, which that doesn't install properly and gives me the following error:

"The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be updated exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch".

First, I know the program exists, cause I installed it and the directories are there with the apropriate .exe files. Second, I can't verify which build of the patch I need because I can't open Central to check the version! What a delima huh? Thirdly, I have heard the talk about two different patches for Easy Media 8.0, one for the standard ver and one for the deluxe? How come when you go the Roxio website and click on the Easy Media 8.0 link for downloading the patch, there is only one patch to pick from?

So are we to assume the patch will work on both? It does not clarify this!

If anyone has addressed these issues, I would surely be greatful to know the fixes! What simply blows my mind away to begin with is the fact that only 1 year ago I bought "Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator 6.0 Platinum Edition" and paid over $100 to have it quit working with the XP SP2 update! Then to find no real updates for it that make it work again. Then I go out and spend another $100. to be stuck in the same situation! Not very good PR skills Roxio holds!!

HELP ME, I'm falling and I don't want to get up!!

Actually, you gave us no information at all about your computer. Look at my signature, and that is the info that will help.

Also, what did you do to your computer between the time EMC 8 worked, and when it did not work?

Folks:

I am having the same issue with Roxio and I'm about ready to take it back if I can't get some resolution! I purchased the Retail Box from a Vendor of Easy Media Creator 8.0 Suite (Not the Deluxe), but it is the Suite with 2 disks in it. One disk is the programs, with the other disk being Content.

I have Windows XP Media Center Edition (SP 2) and all current updates for windows installed. I installed the software, which seem to install correctly. I installed the Content CD, it seemed to install correctly. After reboot, I see the "Drag to Disc" is on the desktop and even works! But when I try to open "Creator Roxio Central", I get the same error as above "Invalid Pointer (ComError, 80004003)".

So I figured I must need to do some updating from Roxio, so I went to support and downloaded the patch for 8.0, which that doesn't install properly and gives me the following error:

"The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be updated exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch".

First, I know the program exists, cause I installed it and the directories are there with the apropriate .exe files. Second, I can't verify which build of the patch I need because I can't open Central to check the version! What a delima huh? Thirdly, I have heard the talk about two different patches for Easy Media 8.0, one for the standard ver and one for the deluxe? How come when you go the Roxio website and click on the Easy Media 8.0 link for downloading the patch, there is only one patch to pick from?

So are we to assume the patch will work on both? It does not clarify this!

If anyone has addressed these issues, I would surely be greatful to know the fixes! What simply blows my mind away to begin with is the fact that only 1 year ago I bought "Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator 6.0 Platinum Edition" and paid over $100 to have it quit working with the XP SP2 update! Then to find no real updates for it that make it work again. Then I go out and spend another $100. to be stuck in the same situation! Not very good PR skills Roxio holds!!

HELP ME, I'm falling and I don't want to get up!!

Hi airforce1c141,

Firstly the patch was only ment for the first release of EMC8.0 not the released version of EMC 8.5 that came a bit later, and of course the release version of deluxe has the patch files already in it like the EMC8.5 standard..

the message you get on trying the patch 'the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program"

only happends if the version you have has the patch already, so id say you have 8.5 already, so id give that a miss.

now your issue with the "Invalid Pointer (ComError, 80004003)".

The Microsoft error site rates this reply:

Error 0x80004003

Error 0x 80004003 generally relates to the passing of bad object pointers to methods, e.g. attempting to create a Relationship to a branch that does not exist.

0x 80004003: Invalid pointer in call to application method

0x 80004003: Invalid pointer in call to branch method

0x 80004003: Invalid pointer in call to BranchFinder method

0x 80004003: Invalid pointer in call to command method

0x 80004003: Invalid pointer in call to commands method

0x 80004003: Invalid pointer in call to document method

0x 80004003: Invalid pointer in call to documents method

0x 80004003: Invalid pointer in call to events method

0x 80004003: Invalid pointer in call to floating text font method

0x 80004003: Invalid pointer in call to floating-object method

0x 80004003: Invalid pointer in call to floating-objects method

0x 80004003: Invalid pointer in call to font method

0x 80004003: Invalid pointer in call to relationship method

0x 80004003: Invalid pointer in call to relationships method

0x 80004003: Invalid pointer in call to TextNotes method

0x80004003: Invalid pointer in call to window method

In the coding world it refurs to a fault with a DLL file or part of the installer service pacaging (this may not be the Roxio app it may be somthing that a previous app may have done on your PC)

anyhow id try a few things if it was me.

1. use roxio zap tool and remove ALL traces of the EMC8.5 App (you may need to run it a few times to do this and reboot between it)

2. run the free Microsoft registry cleaner tool and remove any Roxio or easy cd stuff out and any other rubish registry keys ect (backup this before doing ALLWAYS)

3. install the latist DirecX August FUll pack

4. Install the windows installer pack 3.1

5. STOP all antivirus apps before installing EMC8.5

6. Make sure all video and DVD drivers or furmware are up-to date

7. Copy the CD's to 2x folders on the harddrive and install from that (just in case there is a read issue off that dvd drive)

8. Most important to have FULL ADMIN rights to the user account you are wanting to install from , or even make a new one and do it from there....

Well i know there is a lot there and im pulling at air here on your issue, but all of these things do make the diference to a clean working install.

good luck

I am having the identical problem using EMC 9. I have been through many posts and have complied with all of the suggestions/recommendations set out in this post.

My system is as follows:

DELL Inspiron 9100

NEC DVD+RW ND-5100A

WINXP SP2, IE6

BIOS and all firmware is at the latest release.

The system was supplied with Sonic MyDVD 5 and RecordNow 6.5 and worked when I first got it. However I bought EMC 9 and have cleaned out the Sonic stuff and on many occasions gone through a completely (to the best of my knowledge) clean install of EMC 9. All functions of EMC 9 seem to work OK EXCEPT RecordNow Data, RecordNow Copy, RecordNow Audio - so I guess it's just RecordNow that is having the trouble. When I invoke RecordNow it displays the splash screen and seems to start up Roxio Central33.exe but then gives a dialogue box with no error shown. On closing the dialogue box it then displays the "com error 80004003" error. If I try to invoke RecordNow a second time it does nothing. Stopping the Roxio Central33 process and starting RecordNow it reverts to displaying the splash screen and the comerror.

I'll put this post in the EMC 9 forum as well just in case this gets overlooked and afterall it's an EMC 9 issue (as well as EMC 8 and before)

Regards

Martin Fuggle

Register the following dll:

regsvr32 MSXML3.dll

EMC 9 now functions well in my environment and I no longer experience the comerror 80004003.

Regards

Martin Fuggle