• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Can't Finalize Disc

Damascus

Question

I have had success burning discs, including DL discs, for over two years using Toast in DVD and High Definition modes. Just last week, I have been having trouble apparently, only with DL discs. The disc would be fully burnt but in the second stage, writing the Lead In and Lead Out, I consistently get a report:

"The Drive reported an error. Sense Key = Hardware Error. Sense Code = 0 x 09. Track Following Error. Writing Lead Out Failed to be Written."

I have pulled out most of my hair trying to resolve this issue. If you don't want me to pull out what few strands I have left, please help!

Edited by Damascus

3 answers to this question

It could be this is an indicator that the drive is failing but that is a very wild guess. Are you using Verbatim DL media? Those are the ones that work best in Macs. Does it make any difference to first choose Save as Disc Image and then burn the saved disc image to DL disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window?

It could be this is an indicator that the drive is failing but that is a very wild guess. Are you using Verbatim DL media? Those are the ones that work best in Macs. Does it make any difference to first choose Save as Disc Image and then burn the saved disc image to DL disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window?

Your very wild guess about drive failure was also my guess; I cleaned up my drive with CleanMyMac and Onyx; I re-installed Snow Leopard; and, I re-installed Toast 11. No success. I use Fujifilm discs but I will switch to Verbatim if this is the last option. I will try the Disc Image trick and see if that works but if this works, what am I to conclude?

I should tell you that in between, I have successfully burnt a disk in DVD mode on a DL disc. This had led me to believe the problem was not with the disk but the interface between Toast, the disc and the DVD-HD burn option.

Your very wild guess about drive failure was also my guess; I cleaned up my drive with CleanMyMac and Onyx; I re-installed Snow Leopard; and, I re-installed Toast 11. No success. I use Fujifilm discs but I will switch to Verbatim if this is the last option. I will try the Disc Image trick and see if that works but if this works, what am I to conclude?

I should tell you that in between, I have successfully burnt a disk in DVD mode on a DL disc. This had led me to believe the problem was not with the disk but the interface between Toast, the disc and the DVD-HD burn option.

Something else to try is to see if the Toast disc image will burn to the DL media using Disk Utility. You may need to change the .toast extension to .dmg in order for Disk Utility to accept it.