Question

I just bought this program and cannot capture the video from my security camera. I can see the video stream in the small window, but the status says that there is no signal. Anybody have any suggestions?

• Like 1

I just bought this program and cannot capture the video from my security camera. I can see the video stream in the small window, but the status says that there is no signal. Anybody have any suggestions?

How is the camera hooked up to the Roxio USB unit?.

• Like 1

and what is the output from that camera - digital or analog? Format?

post-101282-023387300 1325217672.jpgpost-101282-026838700 1325217602.jpgpost-101282-021054200 1325217476.jpgpost-101282-001861500 1325217412.jpgpost-101282-001861500 1325217412.jpgpost-101282-001861500 1325217412.jpg

How is the camera hooked up to the Roxio USB unit?.

The camera is hooked to the distribution box supplied by Radio Shack, via S-Video cord straight from the camera itself. From there it is hooked to the Roxio video capture USB via AV cords. This is connected to a high speed USB port on the back of the computer tower. All is illustrated by the attached photos. Help...

and what is the output from that camera - digital or analog? Format?

I am sure it is a digital camera and has infrared illumination for night vision. Radio Shack Mod. # 49-2513.I am also receiving sound from the camera that is feeding the program.

I am sure it is a digital camera and has infrared illumination for night vision. Radio Shack Mod. # 49-2513.I am also receiving sound from the camera that is feeding the program.

Who told you this would work for what you are asking it to do? I looked at the item you posted and it came up with a monitor that powers a camera. Did you give the wrong maodel number?

Perhaps if you would tell us more about exactly what you want this program to do it would be a big help. Are you trying to use your computer as a VCR?

That's a good idea Steve! Knowing WHAT you want to do helps us respond to that better ;)

Just looking at the pics, all looks in order :huh:

Also, with the USB Device plugged in, would you check in the device manager to make sure it is properly recognized:

post-39730-043850200 1325249262.jpg

To answer the question about using my PC as a DVR...indeed I am. I have all the upgraded drivers from Dell, video drivers, as well as all others that are available for my PC. I have also have the Intel® G45/G43 Express Chipset form Microsoft downloaded and installed. And yes, Jim, both Roxio Video Capture USB and USB 2861 are recognized by my device manager. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program 3 times and still have the same problem, which is appearing in the upper left..."Status: No Signal." ... "Input: Composite Video." Although, I have video in the small window and also have sound. The "Capture now" button is grayed out. When I go to the "Plug and Burn" aspect of the program, all looks good, but the "Capture Now" button is grayed out. I'm thinking I may need some kind of DVR software, or just get a DVR or even an old VHS player/recorder to run the signal through, but I don't really think I should have to.... The only thing is, is that I'm on a fixed income and $ is tight, so I'm trying to go the cheapest route to get this accomplished. Any ideas anyone? Help......

You need to try it With another device!

A VCR - DVD Player - Camcorder, anything with Audio & Video output. Just want to make sure it works with a KNOWN Device first ;)

It was not intended as a DVR but could be pressed into service that way... It does capture as mpeg @ 3.45 GB/Hr, so plan on some HDD space being required!

Record to DVD wouldn't really work too well... It actually records to the HDD first and only when you stop does it start to process for the burn to DVD. Likewise the Time it will let your record is based on the DVD capacity in your Drive and Quality you select. (about 2 or 4 hours max)

We will see if we can get this working first, then how to get it done ;)

Jim, you sound like a Roxio Rep...? You most certainly sound like you know a great deal about about this !@#$%^&* program, pardon my french. I'm bewildered, but you appear as a light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. Excuse me, I'm a LITTLE frustrated. Thanks for your input too Computer Guru. You sound very knowledgeable also. I've always been able to get almost anything to do what it shouldn't be able to, IF it is applicable to the present issue at hand. Getting feed to the program from the camera is not an issue , or, at least to me, I shouldn't be able to hear sound and have video appearing in the small preview window. Maybe a wrong setting of some sort. I will try another device, as I have several I can try. Thank you Jim, for that idea.

I am trying to record straight to my PC hard drive, ( about 400 GB free usable space ), which the program says I should have 64hr:58mins:55secs @ ( 831.6 GB ) record time, or by using my back up external hard drive which is 500 GB approx 2/3 the record time, with about 250GB free. I wouldn't use but 24 - 48 hrs at the most at a time, so that should be plenty of disk space. Most likely about 8 - 12 hrs, then review and transfer to a flash drive or DVD if need be. Jim & Computer Guru, you may have some ideas there about just how to accomplish that. I changed a few settings late last night so I am going to uninstall and reinstall the program one more time so as to be sure to have a fresh and clean defaulted program status, and try another device after that also to be sure it is not a problem with the present camera set up. Thanks very much for all the ideas everyone, back to working on it.........:unsure:;)

Who told you this would work for what you are asking it to do? I looked at the item you posted and it came up with a monitor that powers a camera. Did you give the wrong maodel number?

Perhaps if you would tell us more about exactly what you want this program to do it would be a big help. Are you trying to use your computer as a VCR?

I bought the program at Office Depot, they said it "should" work. I brought the entire set up (transfer box & schematic) to them so they could see exactly what I was trying to do.I get a beautiful full szed picture when the set up is connected to my digital TV via same cables being used as of now.

Edited by Bumfuzzled Too

I get a beautiful, full sized picture on my digital TV using the very same cables and set up. Thanks Guru...

I get a beautiful, full sized picture on my digital TV using the very same cables and set up. Thanks Guru...

Steve & I don't work for Roxio but have been chasing our respective tails around this stuff for some years :lol:

Yes I might have a Plan B for long captures, but First Thing is to get it running :huh:

In that quote above, you mean if you run from your Box to your TV you get picture?

Have you been able to try the Roxio Device & Software with another source yet?

Steve & I don't work for Roxio but have been chasing our respective tails around this stuff for some years :lol:

Yes I might have a Plan B for long captures, but First Thing is to get it running :huh:

In that quote above, you mean if you run from your Box to your TV you get picture?

Have you been able to try the Roxio Device & Software with another source yet?

Yes, when I run the box to my TV I get a very good picture.

And very good audio.

I'm going to try a dvd player hooked to it in a few. See if that does any good. Again, thanks for the help. Have ya'll ever caught each others tails?

:lol:

Edited by Bumfuzzled Too

Yes, when I run the box to my TV I get a very good picture.

And very good audio.

I'm going to try a dvd player hooked to it in a few. See if that does any good. Again, thanks for the help. Have ya'll ever caught each others tails?

:lol:

Mr. Jim,

Connected a DVD player to the roxio setup via AV cables. I'm recording a DVD as I'm writing this. 10:14 secs into it. Status: Capturing......Input: Composite Video. 2/10 of a GB every 1 min. Beautiful picture quality and digital audio. It's saving straight into a video folder on HD. Maybe need a driver for the camera? (Probable doesn't exist), Maybe software? (Probably not around either)... Or, another camera. (They are overstocked, but may be too costly...have to check, but would rather not because I have audio with this camera all in one)....Unfortunately, I don't have another security camera or even a different camera I can try that would connect to the Roxio input.

USB 2861 Device showing in upper left.

Capture settings: DV, NOT AV as with the camera.

Input: Composit Video

This is at 720 X 480, AVI. Working great with this DVD player. That's a "plain jane" DVD player. Suggestions...Comments....?

Thanks again, ...........;)

Edited by Bumfuzzled Too

Mr. Jim,

Connected a DVD player to the roxio setup via AV cables. I'm recording a DVD as I'm writing this. 10:14 secs into it. Status: Capturing......Input: Composite Video. 2/10 of a GB every 1 min. Beautiful picture quality and digital audio. It's saving straight into a video folder on HD. Maybe need a driver for the camera? (Probable doesn't exist), Maybe software? (Probably not around either)... Or, another camera. (They are overstocked, but may be too costly...have to check, but would rather not because I have audio with this camera all in one)....Unfortunately, I don't have another security camera or even a different camera I can try that would connect to the Roxio input.

USB 2861 Device showing in upper left.

Capture settings: DV, NOT AV as with the camera.

Input: Composit Video

This is at 720 X 480, AVI. Working great with this DVD player. That's a "plain jane" DVD player. Suggestions...Comments....?

Thanks again, ...........;)

Good news.....seems the Roxio software and hardware works fine.

Way back on this thread you said you hooked up the camera to some sort of box that you got from Radio Shack, did you ever try just plugging the A/V cord from the camera directly into the Roxio USB device. Could be this box (does it have a name & model # ) is affecting the signal

Good news.....seems the Roxio software and hardware works fine.

Way back on this thread you said you hooked up the camera to some sort of box that you got from Radio Shack, did you ever try just plugging the A/V cord from the camera directly into the Roxio USB device. Could be this box (does it have a name & model # ) is affecting the signal

[/quote

Great idea! I'll have to see if I can come up with a cord to connect it with. Seems like the most obvious are beyond me today.rolleyes.gif

Thanks a million Jim.

I'll let you know after I faniggle up a connection...wink.gif

The box has a cat. no. 49-2513. And another # that may or may not be important... 11A00 .

The stcker with the cat # also says Power DC-12V for power to box.

I'm thinking like you now that the Roxio USB converter may supply the needed power from the USB port. The box may be for sending the signal to the moniter or TV.

The USB converter may need to replace the original monitor power box, thus being in the way as it is being currently connected............

Makes sense? Thanks again.

Tried connecting the camera straight to the roxio usb. The connection from the camera is a six prong, and the usb input is 4 prong. I assume the extra 2 prongs on the camera side supply connection 12V to to the camera.

Being there are only 4 prongs on the roxio side,, the power from the dvd player is already supplied by the player itself. Therefore it is a 4 prong too. Just like the Roxio USB connection. So, evidently the camera has to have a 12V power supply going to it in the other 2 prongs, 1 pos 1 neg. The camera would seem to need power for the infrared night audio signal to be sent to the monitor or TV.

So, no go connecting straight to the roxio connector. Connecting back to the box, I get audio and video once again to the program, but still cannot capture.

It was a good idea Jim. Still bumfuzzled.<_<

Thanks, still thinking too...;)

Edited by Bumfuzzled Too

So, no go connecting straight to the roxio connector. Connecting back to the box, I get audio and video once again to the program, but still cannot capture.

Is this your normal set up: (no Roxio)

post-68-089179900 1325332337.png

Edited by ogdens

Interesting...

The RS Manual is miss-labeled:

post-39730-060822200 1325335240.jpg

Not a big deal but it appears they are using special plug to carry the composite signals & audio to the B/W Monitor... Defiantly NOT the one you can use with the Roxio USB Device!

You will want to use the cables I outlined here (which it looks like you are already doing):

post-39730-078979800 1325335237.jpg

Something you said in in your Post #15 caught my eye :glare: You never said, and WE never asked - what Version or Build of V2D are you using???

We have been assuming it was Build 201B:

But some things you mentioned in that post, Capture Settings ~ USB Device showing ~ etc. indicate an earlier version as these never show in the 201B...

201B:

post-39730-018735100 1325335205.jpg

Version 1.1.12x:

post-39730-098116600 1325335203.jpg

If your Monitor is what is shown in Post #21, just connect the yellow/white composite cable from the Roxio unit to the VCR Out jacks on the monitor (right hand side,looking at the unit from the back).

post-68-095235200 1325346161.png

Edited by ogdens

Is this your normal set up: (no Roxio)

post-68-089179900 1325332337.png

Yes, this is the normal set up.

That is the normal set up you have displayed. Now with you mentioning what build or version I'm using...it's version ~ 121B98A ~. The screen you have displayed is NOT the same as I get when the program begins to run.

Edited by Bumfuzzled Too

post-101282-085663400 1325354893.jpg

This is what I'm seeing when the program starts. So I must have a different Build or Version as you have explained.

Thanks Jim...Awaiting reply.post-101282-085663400 1325354893.jpg