Trouble Writing To Disc

SusanR

Question

I installed the software several weeks ago, and began using to transfer old home movies from video tapes. Surprisingly, things were going along fine. I used both the two hour and the one hour setting. Now, I am having problems with the program stopping and saying trouble writing to disc. The finish icon continues to spin, and I have to use control alt delete to shut down the computer. one thing that I did think of...my discs are pretty old. I am using TDK dvd-r.

The vcr is a JVC. My computer is a Dell inspiron (only two years old). I am using the white and yellow cables to attach the device to the VCR.

I of course have been tossing discs left and right now. I was going to purchase the rewritable discs yesterday, but thought I would bring this up to the forum. I have not tried to you the capture and edit feature. I was leaving that for my kids to work on, as I cannot sit at a computer for too long without having back problems.

Thanks for any help.

5 answers to this question

Could be a combination of your Burner and cheap discs??? :huh:

Unless the discs are Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden (JVC) they aren't worth bringing into your home :(

However, having a disc or two of DVD RW media is perfect for troubleshooting or just trying things out, since you can erase and reuse them! (not good for anything you care about)

The Preferred Method is to use Record-Edit-Save rather than the RecordDVD ;)

Likewise, putting more than an hour onto a 4.7GB DVD or 2 hours on a 8.5GB DVD results in poor video quality!

Could be a combination of your Burner and cheap discs??? :huh:

Unless the discs are Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden (JVC) they aren't worth bringing into your home :(

However, having a disc or two of DVD RW media is perfect for troubleshooting or just trying things out, since you can erase and reuse them! (not good for anything you care about)

The Preferred Method is to use Record-Edit-Save rather than the RecordDVD ;)

Likewise, putting more than an hour onto a 4.7GB DVD or 2 hours on a 8.5GB DVD results in poor video quality!

Thanks. I purchased new discs this morning and I will try them. they are memorex. It is odd that when I first started this about 3 weeks ago, it seemed to be working fine. I will have to stay down here and watch it like a hawk the next time I use it.

Thanks. I purchased new discs this morning and I will try them. they are memorex. It is odd that when I first started this about 3 weeks ago, it seemed to be working fine. I will have to stay down here and watch it like a hawk the next time I use it.

Also use the Record-Edit-Save rather than the RecordDVD.

Memorex is about the bottom of the barrel as far as blank media is concerned. Sorry that you chose that brand. Maybe you can take them back and get a refund

and then buy a better brand of media (as suggested by Jim Hardin).

Frank...

I will definitely do that. Thanks.